Recession

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Elsa

I heard today that 19% of people in my county have lost their jobs due to the economy.

In Texas, 1 out of 4 don't have health insurance. Several people I know have lost their home to foreclosure.

How has the recession affected you personally?

I would love to say that we haven't felt it's nasty bite but that would be a VERY big lie. My husband has been laid off twice within the last 3 years from two different companies. We are finally getting back on our feet and buying a house again. We won't soon forget this time in our lives but we have learned a whole lot about life in a very short time!

Several people in our shop have been laid off. And on Monday everyone's pay was cut by 5%.

At least I still have a job!

Lucy

Well, when you run your own business that is pretty much solely based on things that aren't necessities in life (well that's not true for some people...but it tends to be one of the first things that people don't splurge on), it hurts.....
default_no.gif

~kathryn

We own a trucking company, we do allot of business with Whirlpool (yes, the washer and dryer company) and we do allot of transporting for them, well with people loosing homes, less homes being built because of..whirlpool sales are down (way way down) so we lost a good portion of the loads we were getting on a weekly basis, still doing very well compared to the competitors that pull out of Whirlpool but still, we are only getting maybe 3/4 of the loads we were getting before..

My husband and I wrongly lost our jobs while on a medical leave from the same company this past fall. They were cutting a LOT of jobs, and managed to get away with firing every person on a leave (wasnt just my hubby and I) They were one of the best paying local jobs, starting at 9.50 hr, frequent raises. with the chance of $300 bonus monthly if you hit set goals. This was not a job you needed prior training for. We both had a hard time finding places hiring (even just before Christmas at shopping malls they weren't hiring)

Due to this we had to give up the house we were renting, and for a while were up to our eyes in bills.

Quiet honestly, we are both working at a restaurant, both working MUCH harder than we did at last job, almost minimum wage, a crappy shift (7pm-2am, sometimes later) and no benefits.

We're not happy about it, but we are happy to again have jobs and a paycheck, and not worry about how we are going to pay bills. While out of work we did sell off a bit of our belongings, but I was able to keep my horse habit, and he was able to keep his games. We share 1 vehicle which helps cut costs, and our employer is currently scheduling us the same shifts so we can ride together.

This summer we're going to be doing a lot of canning. I learned to can last year and really liked it, so this year we are going to put stuff back so we don't have to rely on purchasing it as much. I helped my father in law process a few deer this past season, and in return he gave me at least 60 or more lbs of meat. That saved us a lot.

As many folks on here probably know my husband, Larry, used to be a miniature horse and pony transporter. He was actually the very FIRST horse hauler in the U.S. who specialized in minis.....and who was a mini owner/breeder as well. We had a 36 foot Fifth Wheel built to our specifications just for small horses.......That thing packed on the miles.

Interestingly, Larry's health began to bother him AND our big old trailer was finally showing it's age all at about the same time that the fuel prices started going crazy. And then, people began slowing down with shipping their horses, so putting together routes that made sense became a nightmare. We decided all of this was a sign to pull back from transporting. It was a rough decision financially.

These days now, we do have a replacement trailer so that Larry can transport our horses we've sold and occasionally for friends......But the big trips are over it seems.....Instead, Larry is working part time for a friend who owns a Stage Lighting and Sound System business. He also works part time for the Sunriver Observatory and just finished designing (and is also maintaining) their On Line Astronomy Shop website.

He loves both of the jobs, but unfortunately our income is now about half of what it was a few years ago. So, yes, the economy has definitely effected us. One of our problems is that we have been self employed for so long that it's difficult for us to even look at working for an employer full time. Yes, we ARE considering it, but in the meantime we are also trying to think creatively and come up with a new business we can do.
default_smile.png

I am lucky that I have a job and hopefully will continue.

We are a union shop and lucky us, our contract expired last month. They extended the contract and the battles began. The Governor wanted to take away a lot. The fact finder's report just came out and I find it very acceptable. 10 days furlough per year for the next 3 years, then we will get 32 hours sick leave added to our accounts. Pay is frozen, and no more personal leave accrual. Increase in co-pays and I think premiums. We are getting off pretty well.

Now, since I work for the State of Ohio, and there are all these new programs, the insanity begins. I have two weeks to gather all of the requirements for a brand new computer application to allow state folks to collect information from Companies that are announcing layoffs so that the State can get services to the laid off folks quickly. Another group has to get $25 per week added to Unemployment checks, sounds easy, but they have to collect 10% Federal tax, and these monies are not to be garnished for past due Child Support, so a whole new set of rules there. Oh, and they mandated that program now, so once this new system is up and running we have to retroactively pay folks, simple sounding until you realize that people will be going on and off unemployment during this time, and you have to make sure they get the correct amount.

Yay. At least the furloughs don't start until July so we will be working our 40 hour weeks (no overtime allowed) like slaves.

My retirement funds really took a hit, I have 6 1/2 years left before retirement (I hope) so I hope they can recover by then.

My cousin was a lawyer for Ford and she has been about sick from the stress of wondering when they would let her go. It finally happened last month, but Ford REALLY likes her. She is the only lawyer they have ever allowed to settle cases on her own. Her work had to be contracted out to a law firm and the deal was that my cousin had to come with the job. So, she was off for a week and on to a new job. AND the new company says working at home 3 - 4 days a week is fine, and she could even work from the family cabin in northern Michigan if she gets internet access installed. So, a better deal for her that way, but gone are the days of the super cheap Fords for the family. I imagine benefits aren't as good but she really did get lucky.

Hubby has a regular job, Rail Road Conductor on a freight train. It has slowed considerably. Many yards have cut jobs so new guys are always coming in, usuing seniority to hold jobs, that wont last. TG hubby is high enough up that alot would have to be laid off to effect him.

On the home front, he has an ATV/motorcycle shop. That business has stopped. We have 2 ATVs in now that have been done for 1 and 2 months with no payment. Both total over 5k so now we have to pay those parts bills. And, we have to charge storage fees. After 30 days we can put a lein on and take the bikes, but who really wants to do that?
default_no.gif
While I understand if you loose your job etc, it puts us in a bind as well.

In Dec of 2007 we lost everything we had due to the economy falling so bad in NY- our 15 acre horse stable that I lived on all my life and was in our family for 7 generations, the business we had for 20 years, all assets, all my horses, had to leave my family behind and move out of state to find work bringing with me the only things I could fit in the horse trailer (mind you we had a 4500 sq foot house filled with all our stuff- and after more or less giving away all our stuff in the house and stable). But I think the worst part of all this is what is about to come: My parents house is on the property that I owned and now it's being foreclosed on and my mother will also lose her house- where she has lived most of her life. I am waiting for a return phone call from my lawyer and still have not recieved it after 3 days of waiting- kinda makes me mad as I really need to know what's going on as I then have to tell my mother she must pack up what she can and sell the rest unless my siblings will store what she wants to keep for awhile and find a place to live (I have told her she may come live with my husband and I but that also means she would have to leave all the rest of the family behind- 7 kids and many grand and greatgrand kids and alot of friends and alot of other family and her part time job that she loves). I think that is going to be one of the hardest things I will ever have to do. I did hire a lawyer to put a stay on the foreclosure to buy me time and I think my time is running out- for that was the one wish my father had was to pass away on the property where he was born on- in which he did Jan. 27,2009 within a feet of few from where he was born. But again now I wonder what will happen with my mom- my family in NY tell me not to worry but I don't know how they could think I would not and not blame myself for what about is going to happen. I do know that my lawyer goes to court today on this matter but I sit here a nervous wreck wondering what will be the outcome from it.

So I guess you could say that this Recession has taken its toll on me but I have faith and as my Dad once said to me: "Things will get better" and I know someday it will get better!

Lisa

I just can't fathom how things got this bad and how long before it gets better?!

I'm starting to realize how lucky I am. I work in a field that doesn't slow down significantly during these down times. They are also doing everything possible to prevent layoffs and are instead looking to cut unnecessary operating costs.

My wage has been frozen for the next 12 months or until economic recovery, but I still get full benefits. Additionally, I have been offered voluntary overtime as they are trying to eliminate agency/registry staff and I jumped right on that opportunity.

So sorry for all that have been affected.

Until it happens to you or those around you, it is tuff and hard, you cannot do anything about it and understand.

It is going to get worst before it gets better.

The Automotive, and the housing in the U.S. is hurting people all over the world.

Now with Crysler cutting a whole shift announced today / this means another 1200 layed off.

G.M in 2006 / 82 billion loss and 13 billion already owe the government.

Does not look good for G.M to survive.

Trying to get AIG out of problems.

No end in site.

Yes, my husband was layed off in December 2008, auto foundry been there for 17 years, he was lucky is back to work for now.

Before that lost our home when after 2 other plants he worked closed.

One was auto foundry, he worked there for 13 years, had been in production for 75 years where my father got him his job.

Worked in a place making blowers for air filtration systems, only 2 years than closed.

So sold our home and moved to this area, hoping for my husband to find a job which he did and now this.

I am a horse mom now, should explain why I am not working, had a bad fall from the hayloft hit my head on the cement and was out for about 5 minutes, concussion and torn my tendon in my right arm, 5 years ago, but could not get disability, still have problem with short term memory loss, and words are not always correct, because I did not pay into the canada pension for 2 years, when I was unemployed. Was denied disability. So I do a few puppy litters a year and enjoy my hobby with my minis. Came close a few times not having them. They are my life line, just like this forum.

So we know how it is without a job, and have to sell what we find is important.

We are surviors, and this too will pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
My and my husbands pay was froze over 3 years ago but we still have jobs. I am in a field that I should always have a job since there are so few of us, but the govt would like to contract us out, which would not be good for our pay and retirement. But I am lucky because we still do have jobs.

I feel VERY lucky, we have lost some from the banks in interest on both our retirements my husband has lost the most, but we get paid the same amount and we just got raises so I feel very blessed. It wasn't much. $20.00 but it was still a raise. I'm sorry some of you are struggling so hard. My heart goes out to you, it makes me feel so very sad inside, all I can say is how sorry I am and hope it gets better. TJ

MA,, what a neat job Larry has at the Sunriver Observatory!! My DH would love a job like that. VBG
default_laugh.png

DH is the only one that can work and he was laid off abt 6 weeks ago. He has been to one face to face interview locally. Sadly.. all other jobs seem to be in VA. Would prefer not to move because it would be a legistics nightmare moving the horses, old tractor and so on.

We will try to hold onto the land... to me is the most important thing we can do. Might have to sell the Van and DH motorcycle in a couple of months, if things don't get better.

Only kind'a work I can do is my Art.....and a very limited amount of handspining. No local jobs to be had for my DS....not that we can afford to get him to town. So many people out of work at the paper plants and lumber mills...jobs for older teens are rare as hens teeth.

Just Thankful that I have a roof over my head right now...and at least simple food on the table. And all I can to do is. hope it stays that way.

Our retirement fund... got totally wiped out with the crash, our investments were supposed to be safe from this kind of fall out. Now we are back to starting from square one, at our age.
default_sad.png

Think this recession is going to get a lot worse before it gets better,,,,even then.... I think the way the US does things will change.

MA,, what a neat job Larry has at the Sunriver Observatory!! My DH would love a job like that. VBG
default_laugh.png

Our retirement fund... got totally wiped out with the crash, our investments were supposed to be safe from this kind of fall out. Now we are back to starting from square one, at our age.
default_sad.png

Think this recession is going to get a lot worse before it gets better,,,,even then.... I think the way the US does things will change.
Shari, Yes Larry LOVES it, but it's complicated. Part of his time he puts in voluntarily and part he gets paid. It comes out as minimum wage (or less) with all the time he puts in. He's now been asked to build another website for the Nature Center which is also part of the Observatory. I'm eager for him to get started as he'll be paid some decent money for it........but he's waiting on people to send him info and photos......(sigh).

Losing your retirement fund...... You sound so calm about it! I'd be stressing, fretting, and FUMING!

I do know ONE type of business that is going to benefit from all of this is E-Bay and any other online auction......because more and more people will be selling their basic hard assets just to pay bills! Yes, we've had to do it in the past too, just like others who've posted have........

Last summer we had a particularly stressful month. Basic bills had been paid, but I didn't know how I was going to afford groceries for the last week! And yes, I'm a nutty HORSE MOM......Our horses' feed was covered, just not US! So, looking ahead, I arranged a Yard Sale and unloaded some stuff from our garage.......and then we sold a horse as well.......In the end all worked out. And interestingly, it often does -- and my worrying was a waste. You'd think I'd learn.
default_rolleyes.gif

To be honest, this is a time for anyone who has ANY extra money (cough cough) to be buying specific hard assets....AND real estate! Just wish we had it!
default_unsure.png

My son in law lost the job that gave them insurance for their family, they cant pay their insurance and their mortgage so they are moving in with my husband and I . We went from 2 people to 6, Robby is 4 and Lizzie is 8 months. It is very tough as my son in law is loud, demanding and doesnt parent like I would. I have to be quiet about what I see. Our grocery bill went from 80 to almost 200 a week. I have no time for my few horses I have left and 3/4 of my part time job pays for Katies old debt. But , I owe it to my children and grandchildren to see that they are cared for. We will survive. I may have to give my horses away to make it work.... but I will do whatever it takes to keep my family in tact.

We have also lost over 50K in our retirement fund. we are in our 50s now.

Yes, we have been hit very hard. I lost two jobs back to back and was unable to go back after the second job because of needing full time child care. That is about $250 a week for each child. It's really hard to find something that can make that and still have a net pay that makes it worth it. I'm unable to find something in any of the three fields I've worked in. It's a real struggle and now I've had to choose 4 of our horses to sell. Yes, they are luxury to some, but they are family to us. It's incredibly heartbreaking. I've shed enough tears to last a lifetime. It's really sad to hear that this is happening to so many.

I've been selling things on Ebay that I don't need, but Ebay is struggling as well. I'm not getting nearly what people would have paid a year or two ago(if the items sells at all).

I have so many friends that are out of work or their spouses are now out of work. It's really sad.

Losing your retirement fund...... You sound so calm about it! I'd be stressing, fretting, and FUMING!
I do know ONE type of business that is going to benefit from all of this is E-Bay and any other online auction......because more and more people will be selling their basic hard assets just to pay bills! Yes, we've had to do it in the past too, just like others who've posted have........

Last summer we had a particularly stressful month. Basic bills had been paid, but I didn't know how I was going to afford groceries for the last week! And yes, I'm a nutty HORSE MOM......Our horses' feed was covered, just not US! So, looking ahead, I arranged a Yard Sale and unloaded some stuff from our garage.......and then we sold a horse as well.......In the end all worked out. And interestingly, it often does -- and my worrying was a waste. You'd think I'd learn.
default_rolleyes.gif

To be honest, this is a time for anyone who has ANY extra money (cough cough) to be buying specific hard assets....AND real estate! Just wish we had it!
default_unsure.png
I figure the RF is gone,not happy by any means but can't do a thing about it,.... have so much on my plate right now.... will miss it more later I am thinking.

Am trying to sell some extra horse stuff I barely or never used but I can't afford to put it on Ebay. Seems like nothing is selling like it used too... their fee's are too high. By the time they take out their fees, paypal takes out theirs.. is not worth it. Might try selling some of my China horses on their though.... just don't know.

LOL MA... our horses are set too. But luckily I store up the basics before winter up here, while it is simple food, we won't go hungry for awhile.

Worse comes to worse.. we could always pup a tent on DH parents place... the brother's still own it.(plenty of pasture for the horses their too) Just hope things don't come to that.
default_sad.png

So far we haven't been hit too hard. Work has slowed down, but it does every year about this time. It will pick up again in a couple months. However we did hear a rumor that they will be laying off 25 people. That isn't alot considering how many people work for our plant. It is still hard to watch. My husband and I believe that we are safe from the lay offs because the company depends on us too much. However, we still made a game plan in the event that one or both of us gets laid off.

I have a hard time watching the news. I can't handle the news about people losing their jobs, losing their homes, etc. I get very emotional. Good Luck to everyone out there effected or not.

Latest posts

Back