Razoring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyluva97

Reaction score
Hi,

Today i clipped my gelding for a show in a week, and i clipped his muzzle with a 50 and it stuffed up clompletey, so i decided to razor him, i have done most of it but i was wondering, (stupid question, i know!!) do you razor the bottom lip aswell as the top lip?

I know i will have to re-do it the night before the show, but i just wanted to try it now.

thanks
default_smile.png

Yes, you razor the bottom lip and chin. I usually razor the night before or the morning of, depending on the time of the class. I do not razor all my show horses, it depends on the class and the color of the horse.

Not sure what you're saying "stuffed it up" but if you mean that it clogged the clipper, then here's what I do. I clip the whole head with a 30 then go back to the close areas like the eyes, ears, muzzle with a 40 and/or 50 blade. If it's a clip after they've grown LOTS of hair I might even do the first clip with a 10 and work my way down to the size I want.

Thanks for that. He hasn't been clipped since the end of last year so he was pretty hairy. I only clip him in a #10 because he is a palomino and it takes his colour away too much if i do it any lower. I decided to clip his muzzle in a #40 (sorry not #50) and it looked horrible. it was all uneven and there was bits of black with bits of brown coming through and it just looked awful. The only way i could fix it was to razor him, and i haven't razored a horse before so i don't know if you have to razor both top and bottom. I know your not supposed to razor a horse for the first just before a show but there was nothing i could do to fix it.
default_biggrin.png

Make sure you dont razor it dry! I only had one I had to razor due to his color... I thoroughly wet his muzzle where he was to be razored and used a nice shaving gel/lotion. He liked it, LOL

Latest posts

Back