Raptor Birds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
A couple years ago my husband and I had the ability to spend a day working with Raptor birds in Scotland. We were able to use an Owl, Golden Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, and a Harris Hawk. Learned a lot about these type of birds. Well, for the last couple weeks this screeching has followed me by one part of the farm. Sounded just like some sort of Eagle or Hawk. I didn't actually see it, but I knew enough about those type of birds to know that it was in the raptor family. On Saturday evening, I did. Big,brown, and beautiful. Gave the same sound as before when it saw me. He didn't seem frightened, and let me get pretty close so i could get a good look at it. He sat there for about five minutes before he flew off into a nearby tree and continued to watch me. I figure this guy has made his home somewhere close by. I was wondering if anyone knew any good online resources that would have information on wild raptor birds of the Northeast. I would love to find out more about this guy.

We also love Raptor Birds...... Our most common around here are the Red Tailed Hawk. We also have Great Horned Owls, and one pair of Bald Eagles who nest a few miles from us.

Did you know that Eagles don't "screech"? But Hawks do. So, I bet your fellow is a Hawk.

Sounds like you should do some Google searching for hawks in the northeast.
default_yes.gif

I love Hawks and Falcons ! I have never seen an owl, but I have heard them before and early one morning a lady was going for a walk here and an owl came out of nowhere and hit her head !

We have a pair of Osprey that come back year after year, they only eat fish.

There are lots of Eagles too, and fish around our beach, we live one block from Puget Sound.

We also love Raptor Birds...... Our most common around here are the Red Tailed Hawk. We also have Great Horned Owls, and one pair of Bald Eagles who nest a few miles from us.
Did you know that Eagles don't "screech"? But Hawks do. So, I bet your fellow is a Hawk.

Sounds like you should do some Google searching for hawks in the northeast.
default_yes.gif

Thanks for letting me know. Now i can narrow down the search. It did have feather's on it's legs and I couldn't remember whether there was a type of hawk that had that.

Thought I would post some pictures of when Chris and I were able to work with these wonderful birds.

Golden Eagle

eagle.jpg

Golden Eagle

eagle2.jpg

Harris Hawk

Kevin.jpg

Peregrine Falcon

Falcon.jpg

Owl, Can't remember what type.

owl.jpg

Beautiful birds!!! We have many golden eagles around here and red tailed hawks. That owl you posted looks like a great horned owl? We have many different species of owls in our area. One winter there was one teeny tiny one that would perch itself on our metal gate in the front of the property. The light would shine on it just so and omg that thing could not have been any bigger than your fist!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.........the Owl is a Great Horned..........He looks a bit irritated. LOL!
default_biggrin.png

You were truly BLESSED to be able to handle those amazing gifts from God..........

Earlier this summer we rescued a fledgling Red Tailed Hawk and then were allowed to release her on our property. This was taken moments before she took off during her release. She had lost all of her baby fuzz, but notice that her tail was still that of a "juvenile".

hawkreleaseJune2709110.jpg

Our red-tailed hawks make a screeching sound. Watch the movie "Lady Hawke"... a good one to see a gorgeous red-tailed hawk in action, also a great movie becides. The hero rides a fresian horse,.. awesome movie if you haven't seen it.

thanks for the posting photos, enjoyed them.

That would be incredible!

Yes, that looks like a Great Horned Owl to me!

I had the opportunity to hold a Harris's Hawk - my favourite hawk of all time - last November. It was one of the best experiences of my life! Here is a picture of me with the hawk.

n726836112_2199024_6238.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the owl is not a great horned owl. They didn't have any at the falcon farm we went to in Scotland. He was pretty small, although the picture does not show that. The owl was a funny guy, had the personality of a cat. He would fly for us when he was good and ready and only go a couple feet before demanding food. Here's the link of where we went. If your ever in Scotland check this place out and ask for Stewart as your guide, he truly loves his job. http://www.elitefalconry.com/

Latest posts

Back