Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastercece2b

Reaction score
Hello since time (problem of Internet)!

I have finally my new minis which arrived here the pics:

292255899.jpg

292255896.jpg

292255890.jpg

292255901.jpg

What do you think about it?

Another small question I, do you think would like to know that it is Silver Black ?

The more time passes and the more its hairs are cleared up

I would put better pics !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! The horse in the pictures appears to be just black and not silver. The light colored mane and tail hair will eventually grow out. And I'm guessing when he/she sheds, he/she will be jet black!

He doesn't look like he/she carries silver at all, though he does have some interesting "fading" in his mane and tail. I'm thinking that he could possibly be a very dark bay, since he has the lighter coloring around his eyes. Or is a sun-burned black. What color are the parents?

hmmmm...looks just like my black APPY filly did when she started changing color..LOL! Those sure are Appy eyes, and her hooves look light.

I'd say black, as well.

The hooves look to me like they are coated with dried mud and that's why they look so light (in response to the other poster who mentioned them). The eyes do look to have sclera like appaloosas do, but my chestnut mare has them and has no appaloosa in her background.

The fading in the mane and tail will grow out, or you could trim it out. It's just sunbleaching. I've noticed many foals that have this type on their foal hair, though this is rather extreme. Usually it just results in a blondish brown coloring to the ends of the hair that are exposed to sunlight.

Silver black would be a lot lighter and show no black at all to speak of, the hair is actually a charcoal-silver-brown instead of black on these.

There's a thread on the Photo & Video Gallery about silver blacks right now (as well as multiple old ones). The gelding in my avatar's one, and as a foal, he was a mousy-blue-silver-grey in coloring.

Hope this helps! He's cute, though, no matter the color.

Liz

Ok thank you for all these answers !!!

Yes, both Black, what do the papers say??
IMHPS ( International Miniature Horse & Pony Society ) ,

He doesn't look like he/she carries silver at all, though he does have some interesting "fading" in his mane and tail. I'm thinking that he could possibly be a very dark bay, since he has the lighter coloring around his eyes. Or is a sun-burned black. What color are the parents?
Her Sire :

292101379.jpg

292101369.jpg

292101364.jpg

Her Dam :

279531032.jpg

Thank you Liz for your explanations!

But my small filly has indeed the clear shoes!

It is well appaloosa by her father!

I have to put the question if it were precisely silver black because its hairs are clearer in the points than on the level of the roots but that changes more and more, it is that which I find bizzard!

Awww..just as I thought. Very cute foal!

Here is my filly at birth

GingerFilly22004.jpg

and here she is this summer as a 3 year old

HQ3.jpg

Sure looks like you have a black appy there. Black is a a suppressor for appy characteristics and pattern and takes them longer to show what they've got hidden for you. I have 2 black appies that looked like that and then colored out. The sire is sure a gorgeous boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much nice!
default_wub.png

It took 3 years to take its colors?!?
default_new_shocked.gif

For my breeding I intend to produce appaloosa and silver!

Thus do not hesitate to give me full with infos over these colors, in France we are late enough on the genetics of the colors.

My filly gets a little more color each year. I can't wait to see what she looks like in 2008.

As a yearling, she just had white in her tail like your foal does .

But, her full brother is 5 years, and he FINALLY got a white spot in his tail this year! He was born black like the filly, but when the sun is low and hits his rump, you can see black spots all though the black! He has always been that way. I know that sounds strange, but it's true. So, I have no doubt, now that he has a tail spot, that he will one day show those rump spots right out loud!

I know of a full sized Appaloosa that was born black and sold as a yearling with no color. When I saw him as a 3 yr. old, he was a full leopard. Looked just like his sire.

Ok!

The appaloosa is a color which is full with mystery!

It is what plait me much.

Y T it has laboratories genetics American which work on this color?

Shelia Archer and her genetics group are working on it. Nothing yet, but it will surely be a boon to breeders when the gene(s) is/are located. I have been told that horses can't be carriers..if they have the Appy gene, it will show. But, it sure would be nice to know if the ones born solid are really Appaloosa.

Latest posts

Back