Questions for all breeders....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windstorm Minis

Reaction score
Hi All - I have a couple of questions since I have just been back into the minis for about a year and a half.

Do you all think that this year seems to have more foal losses than is usual?

Has anyone ever done any indepth research on mini foal losses? Such as gathering info in a survey type form, like gestation length, age of mare, what they are fed and such......too see if perhaps there are any common denominators.........

A friend of mine - who has been breeding horses all of her life - has lost 3 minis and 1 full-size horse foal this year alone......out of 6 horses - pretty bad statistics - and so heartbreaking.

Thanks for your time and input.

Lisa

Unfortunately losing a mare/foal/both is part of breeding reality. I haven't noticed a huge amount of losses posted this year, any more than past years. There are still plenty of adorable foals being posted here! I think many times the losses just jump out at you, because we take for granted the MIRACLE of those live ones who make it here safe and sound.

I think it's just important that we DON'T take any of them for granted, and CONGRATULATIONS to all of you with healthy babies so far.

Andrea

Edited to add:

The Forum here generally does a "Foal Count" of live foals and losses. It will be pinned at the top once foal season gets in full swing I think. Thank you to everyone who works hard at that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I too wonder if there is a pattern. In watching breeding it seems that some areas loose more foals than others on any particular year. Wonder if weather conditions play a part.
default_unsure.png
:

I think the question about more losses than usual comes up every year. I started breeding minis before I ever got on the internet and, mostly, this forum. I heard of a very small number of losses every year which were always very sad, of course. Then I started coming on here and reading about sooo many losses each year, but also far more successful births than ever before, too, simply because of the number of people I have contact with now. As noted above by Disneyhorse, the losses do tend to jump out at you and catch your attention.

As for your friend having lost four foals already, I would sure be checking into that situation if it were mine!! My heart goes out to her. I can't imagine how much it must hurt to lose that many all in the same year.

I was thinking the same thing, about the losses. True I have noticed this.

My hubby and someone else on this forum mentioned, it is because you are on a forum with mini breeders, and he thinks miniature horse owners have increased since we started 3 years ago. Also increase on their size of herd.

It would be interesting to see the number of live and dead foals posted.

I believe, a lot more live healthy births, than the other.
default_pray.gif
:

default_wub.png
: :saludando:

Do you all think that this year seems to have more foal losses than is usual?
There seem to be more losses during the first months of the year..... I have been on this forum for many years & this has been the norm it seems - they taper off as the months go on. A big horse vet here has had several losses also................................................. The person that kept track of the foals born to forum members last year might be able to list the number of losses in the earlier months versus the later months.

It isn't an in depth study like you mentioned (which I would love to see done)

But, I keep the foal count on my website. I have counted them and broken them down too.

You should see that the most losses happen early.

Keep in mind: I CAN'T COUNT THEM IF NO ONE REPORTS THEM!
default_smile.png

So far only TWO people have emailed me about their foals, the rest I have counted on my own and some times I have to guess at the foal date, color or what ever because the info isn't posted. I'm doing my best.

Go check out the count, the link is in my sig line below. I have worked very hard at this for everyone here.

My email is always open!

Reo, Doing a great Job. Sorry never new of this till now.
default_wub.png
:

Keep up the good work, I will know now to email you the info.
default_yes.gif
:

Hey Windstorm,

I know Lisa!

I think there seems to be more losses because this is where a lot of people post about them.

Something else to keep in mind is that minis do seem to have more problems birthing. Sometimes those sacs are just too tough and the foals can't get out without help.

Reo, Doing a great Job. Sorry never new of this till now.
default_wub.png
:

Keep up the good work, I will know now to email you the info.
default_yes.gif
:

Hey Windstorm,

I know Lisa!

I think there seems to be more losses because this is where a lot of people post about them.

Something else to keep in mind is that minis do seem to have more problems birthing. Sometimes those sacs are just too tough and the foals can't get out without help.

Hi Sagebrush - Lisa is not having a good year in the foaling dept. Very sad...3 very nicely marked mini pintos!

Love your mini mules - they are adorable!

Latest posts

Back