questions about feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dein

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of y'all have tried the mini horse and pony feed made by purinia and what are y'all views on it I was thinking of switching to it

Some love it and some hate it.

I think part of the problem with feeds is people fail to look at the diet as a whole... So that should be taken into consideration. What in your horses' current diet is lacking or being replaced?

Ditto what Disneyhorse said. Also, take into consideration the age, activity, and use of the mini. Are you feeding a youngster, a pregnant mare, an active show horse, a gelding?

In the right application it is a great feed. I have over 30 horses on it. I would not recommend it for seniors, hard keepers or horses in heavy work. I personally feel that it works best for a maintenance feed for chubby ponies and founder prone animals (just my opinion). Quality hay makes a feed program. So even though a feed label may claim to be "complete" feed, your horse still needs roughage. I feed it to my easy keepers just to ensure that they are getting the rda of vitamins and minerals. We make our own hay and cover lots of ground. So even though we take samples for testing, the hay's nutrition varies from field to field. I feed my show/ work horses strategy and my brood mares get omolene 300. My youngsters either get strategy or mini pony depending on their condition and requirements. If I may ask; what don't you like about your current program? I am a firm believer of the "if it ain't broke dont fix it" mentality. What do you do with your horses and how do they look?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 mini both are Lil studs one is around 15 years and i have had him for arround 8 months and the other witch I just got from a bad situation he pretty thin he is still a stud witch I will b gelding him when he gets better they are eating free choice hay from my feed store and a feed called all stock some cracked corn and beat pulp that is what my older one was being fed be for I got him so I just keep him on it and the younger one was just being fed all stock is what they said but I doubt it he is really thin had lice and all when I got him he has put on some weight but still need more I was just trying to find one thing to feed them both and that seamed like it would take care of them both the older one is my daughter she is 2 and loves both of them to death

I have had a vet out to check my Lil one he said he seams to be in good health just need to put on the pounds

I feed purina mini horse & pony as the grain part of the diet. I also feed alfalfa pellets (easier to store) & beet pulp with free choice grass hay. I have a 2 year old filly from a bad situation, a hard keeping 3 year old gelding, & an easy keeper gain-weight-by-looking-at-feed 4 year old gelding. I feed by weighing out each portion & taking into consideration what needs they each have as individuals. Since they all share the same paddock, I have to separate them at feeding time, but it's worth the effort (even when it's -14 like today!)

Its great that you were able to get this lil guy out of his bad situation and even better that you are doing your research to optimize his feed regimen. It sounds like he needs more than all stock. Some all purpose feed intended for cattle or ruminant animals can poison horses so observe labels when buying grain as all "all atock" products are not the same. Corn digests hot and could possibly be making your guy struggle to keep weight on. Beet pulp shreds fed soaked are great for hydration but just fed pelleted or dry is more of a filler. It sounds like you could consider spending the money on a higher quality complete feed or even senior feed (that could help him build weight). I would ask the vet to do a fecal egg count to be sure he does not have worms as that will attribute to poor condition. I would also check his teeth as it may be an issue of not being able to eat properly thats contributing to his problem. Also you could try introducing a vitamin and mineral supplement, perhaps a free choice one and consider pro and pre biotics to get his system into balance. Your vet can run tests in his hair to check some of these factors. Most important is time. You cant pack on the pounds over night so be patient, it will be a program of trial and error. Dont be afraid to ask questions especially to your vet. A good vet will listen to you and offer advice. Good luck and keep us updated on how he is progressing.

He was veery wormie when I got him that has been taken care of and he is always going to have problems with his teeth poor baby he has a bad parrot moth he is under a year old so I am hoping it might not be so bad when he gets a little older I was also thinking of trying a feed called one and only I don't know if they sell it arround my area for him because of his teeth it is a complet feed

Thanks for all the info I will stop giving him the corn and c If that helps ne

I am one that hates it. My one totally declined in health and performance and lets just say he totally stopped eating it. All signs pointed towards ulcers and he had none. So switched to PrimeGLO and he ate that just fine. So my feeding program is now the Glo line feeds by ADM and will not use Purina ever again. Had too many bad dealings when it has come to Purina.

I always say pictures speak louder then words.

264393_3694743575206_544586272_n.jpg

Since he is under a year old and has some issues, if you can get it, Purina Equine Junior might be a very good choice for him. Its a complete feed for growing horses, fed at the recommended level it should give him all he needs; just add some good grass hay for him to munch on and keep him busy.

Thanks for all y'all responses I will be looking into getting him something else then what he is on I just needed some options on what might b best for him

I have had very good results feeding limited grass hay and Purina Mini Horse & Pony per label, and EquiPride supplementation. I have even been able to feed SMALL amounts to our donkey for whom it is a real treat (he was rehabilitated on SafeChoice and loves it, but does better on the current diet). Coats, hooves, weight have all been excellent and the feed has been very consistent. We are talking a 6 yr. old stallion, a 2 yr. old colt, and a 6 year old standard donkey.

To put some weight onto a young horse with a bite problem (which can affect his chewing), consider a Senior Feed for grain plus soft grass hay. Purina makes a good senior product. It's higher in fat than other feeds, is softer to chew, and has vitamins and minerals included.

Good choice to get rid of the corn. My brother is an animal nutritionist, and as he put it - corn is good ONLY for feeder pigs and feeder cattle. In other words, animals intended to be fattened up for slaughter. My horses are on VERY clean grass (bermuda which is really all that grows here) hay, that was cut young so that it is soft, pallatable, and highly digestable. And very little grain. Right now they are on about 1 pound crimped oats each a day, that's it. But they were all in excellent "bloom" to begin with, wormed regularly, and get regular dental work. And they are all quite 'fluffy' (meaning fat).

Latest posts

Back