question on poisonous trees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylsminis

Reaction score
I am wanting to plant a few fast growing trees this fall and I want to make sure they are not poisonus to my minis. I have several list of poisonous plants but was wanting the forums opion. We are thinking about "Poplar" trees to plant.
default_unsure.png
:

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

I don['t know about poplar trees, but I have never heard anything about 'issues' with them. We had to remove a lot of woonderful, mature black walnut trees and we lost MAJOR shade. We needed a fast growing shade replacement and opted for seedless (cottonless) cottonwood.

I'm amazed at how fast they are growing and already putting out a lot of shade...in just 3 years. They went from being as big around as my thumb to 8" diameter in the lower trunk. They just need lots of water.

I have been told that poplars...some types...have a short life span.

hope this helps

Charlotte

I have no knowledge of poplar trees, but can tell you from experience -- never never never plant red maple (sometimes called swamp maple) anywhere near your horses or where the leaves have any chance of blowing into their pasture. Just a word of warning, hope you don't mind!

There are tons of poplars here, as well as white birch, and I have never heard of either causing any concerns. Poplars are quick-growing, and provide lots of shade, faster than just about any other hardwood that I know of, besides the white birch.

Latest posts

Back