Question on feeding alfalfa...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
Okay, when I first got my minis, I was always told "Don't feed them alfalfa! They can founder so easily!". I have always fed just grass hay or let them graze in my pasture. Now I am reading sooooo much on here that says to feed alfalfa. I was just wondering about that. How much? Do I mix it with grass? Can they eat JUST alfalfa? Are they able to have free choice? What if they are not steadily exercised, is it still okay? Just any info that you can give me would be awesome
default_smile.png
Thanks!!

It shouldn't be free fed, it is far too high in calories. It's great to use in moderation, to complement a feed program.

They can eat straight alfalfa but it should be weighed.

It also depends a bit on the quality of the alfalfa, for instance Dairy quality alfalfa should probably not be fed to minis, its very, very rich.

I prefer to feed straight grass hay, but have fed mixed hay (grass/alfalfa mix, prefer no more than 25% alfalfa) to my horses.

Thanks guys
default_smile.png
It would be easier for me to keep her on grass hay, since that is what everyone else gets. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't shorting her, nutritionally. Robin has always been a very easy keeper, lol...tubby little booger.

I have been feeding straight alfalfa for 38 years with never a problem. Alfalfa does not cause founder. Other things contriubute- being obese, etc.... and as someone stated above- it is NOT to be free fed. I feed mine in the a.m. and the p.m. You could also feed an alfalfa grass mix if you can find it.

Here is a good article:

http://www.alfalfahayfarm.com/Alfalfa_Horse_Feeding_Facts.html

If she needs a little alfalfa to keep her fit, there are always alfalfa cubes and pellets. [Cubes should be broken up into tiny pieces or soaked, I do a little of both depending on the horse.]

Thanks! She is fed in the am and pm right now. I try to keep her from getting too fat, which works okay when she is off of the pasture, but not so well when she is on it...she has not been nearly as fat as she was when I first got her, but right now she is tubby because she is due to foal any day now.

I usually give all mares alfalfa for the last two months of pregnancy because of the extra calcium. I continue to give it to them for at least as long as I want them to make milk for their foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so you think that I should supplement her with some for now? I can definitely do that, if it would help her to produce milk.

Alfalfa is a wonderful feed, in moderation. I won't ever free feed it to minis or big horses, but it has a spot in a balanced ration. The benefits of alfalfa hay include higher protein levels, buffering of the stomach acid(to reduce risk of ulcers) and a very slight laxative effect which keeps things moving through without the horses getting too "loose". It is also higher in calories and very palatible. Depending on the horse the higher calories can be bad or good. Personally I find that my guys wouldn't receive enough mouth time if they were fed just alfalfa. It works great as a supplement allowing lower intake of grain. My total daily ration includes 1 1/2-2lbs of alfalfa, 2 lbs of grass and 1/2 cup pelleted grain with 2Tbsps stablized flax seed meal and whatever supplement individual horses may need.(This is for adult 34"-35" miniatures with moderate exercise.) They all look great and seem to get needs met.

this is for adult

I've just recently started to give alfalfa to my minis after 20+ years of having minis. I've always given them timothy hay & timothy pellets. I'm now giving them 50% alfalfa pellets/hay and 50% timothy pellets/hay (I soak the pellets first) and so far so good. The one mini I have who was getting a little 'hay' belly is looking much better now! I've always been a firm believer in no alfalfa for my minis, but I've changed my mind!

Liz N.

We are feeding a alfalfa mix (but mostly alfalfa) hay to our minis right now and they love it but my nursing mare needs extra supplements because she is getting a big belly and tiny hips

Thanks guys for all of the help! I really appreciate it
default_smile.png
I think that I may supplement her with some alfalfa cubes and a little less grass hay. She will think that she is eating treats! LOL

I feed grass hay which is a lot easier to get around here, but then supplement with soaked alfalfa cubes. As others said, I give to nursing mares to boost calcium levels, anyone with ulcers or suspected ulcers, and to replace grain at feeding time. So the mares that just weaned their foals are getting soaked alfalfa cubes instead of grain for 2 weeks (and complaining but eating it!). The weanlings are also getting some, along with 14% grain plus Calf Manna to boost the total protein in their diet to the recommended 14-16%. I also fed them to anyone who is off their feed, and add a little Stomach Soother. Everyone seems to love this!

I keep some alfalfa cubes in the house and add water before I go out to feed. So by the time I am ready to feed them, with a quick stir with a wooden spoon, they are all ready.

I switched to an alfalfa/grass mix hay 2 years ago and am very happy with how my girls are doing on it.

I bought some alfalfa/grass hay a few weeks ago (maybe 60/40). It's nice and green and smells wonderful. I'm just feeding much less at their 4 feedings and have them on a lower protein ration balancer (Alfa Gro'n Win). I can't believe the dapples on my silver black mare! Everyone's coats are stunning and shiny
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back