Question on colostrum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaspot

Reaction score
Could anyone answer a question for me ??? If a mare has a late term abortion and she has a bag what is in there ..is it colostrum ?? would this be worth drawing off and freezing ??

How many days gestation was the mare? Is it a late term abortion or a full term foal? If she was fully bagged up, then there is likely colostrum and I would save it if possible.

Yes sue, if its a full term or very close to it there will be colustrum there but you might have trouble getting it out because it is

drawn down with hormones when foal is born but its defo worth a try.

if there is colustrum there you should milk her for approx 24hrs, thats roughly how long it lasts for or until the consistency changes to

look more like milk.

give me a ring at home if you need any more help.

make sure you use a sterile container for what you collect.

she wasnt due for 6-7 weeks , I milked her but it didnt look of feel anything like colostrum , it was pure white not yellowish and not sticky , I threw it away

This question brings up a few good points;

1) Although colostrum is quite valuable, I would discourage milking a mare for it unless she was already dripping or a foal was in need of it. There is a wax plug in the orifice of the nipple that protects the gland from infection. Removing it to just collect colostrum simply isn't valuable enough in my opinion.

2) All mammal species produce colostrum for 3 days, the neonate is only capable of absorbing the vital antibodies in it for the first 24 hours.

3) Mares store very little milk, so if colostrum harvesting is going to occur then optimal collection occurs if milked every 2 hours.

4) Quality of colostrum goes up with age of the dam and the number of babies she has had as well as vaccination status. But, the quality of colostrum cannot be determined by 'looking' at it. A colostrometer can be purchased that will accurately measure the quality.

5) It does not need to be collected in a sterile manner, simply run it through a sieve if there are large particles of debris then either freeze it in ice cube trays (put the cubes in sealed bags for long term storage) or plastic pop bottles.

6) Colostrum must be warmed in hot water for use, it cannot be microwaved or put on direct heat as these will ruin the antibodies (but the colostrum is still useable as milk).

Dr Taylor

I agree with Dr Taylor- I never milk an aborting mare, or even one that has lost a foal, unless there is a very good reason (orphan foal, for instance) She will dry up much quicker if left to herself.

So sorry this happened to you, it is heartbreaking, I know.

Latest posts

Back