Question about sex of baby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minijoyj

Reaction score
I know this has been brought up before, but can't remember. On which side of mare is a boy or a girl? Have you noticed if girl moves more than boy or not? My mares baby is so active & I think she is bigger on the left side, it is due in 4 weeks. I can see it moving here in the house on the camera. The string test shows girl, so am anxious to see. thanks

i don't have the answers BUT, this is our first girl due.. You can see that the baby is laying there on the left.. She was like this for about a week, and now the baby has shifted back into the middle and not as noticeable now..

sweety221.jpg

Her baby has been very active too, and we too saw it kicking and rolling on our cam.. Today it was really quiet.. I was trying to 'wake' it today when I was grooming her but only got a gentle kick.. She is at Day 291 today..

By the way, nail test says filly for her too..
default_wub.png
:

From this year's foals (3), 1 is a colt, and 2 fillies.

I did the ring test, which said 2 definate fillies (1 was a colt) and a somethingorother!! :new_shocked: :bgrin

The mare who had the colt, well I thought that guy was going to jump right out of the side of the mare at @ 8-9 months, he was bouncing around so much!! :bgrin :bgrin Same mare had a very active colt last year too.

One of the fillies was quite active (arrived at 302 days), the other was quite 'normal' in her intra-uterine activity.

Our foaling season down here is all but over for another year, just the late ones to come (we start on 1 August). I must say, I envy you all that fantastic feeling of anticipation right now, yes it sometimes turns to custard, but that is all part of the breeding game, and next year is another season.
default_smile.png

I have never heard anything about the right/left situation. I have, though, heard that if the mare carries high, the baby is a colt and if she carries low, it's a filly.

I have only foaled out two mares of my own here - 1 filly and 1 colt. In my experience, the filly was MUCH more active in utero.

Good luck foaling! I have to wait until May for my baby
default_sad.png

I have, though, heard that if the mare carries high, the baby is a colt and if she carries low, it's a filly.

Now that I think applies more than left side/right side to our mares. I have one mare than is so low that I feel like I need to get her one of those slides that mechanics use under cars - just so she can prop her big ole belly on it to get around....LOL! She has mostly fillies. Matter of fact, our only fillies so far. The testosterone fairy sprinkles nearly all my mares at midnight it seems..... And I have noticed the higher carried foals are colts. You might be on to something there....

It's just another one of those old wives tales, but left is lady and right is rooster. So left filly, right colt.

could someone explain the "ring test" to me please?? LOL
I use the nail test, but same concept.. Tie a nail to the end of a string, then hold it above the mare's hips leaving about a foot of string between the nail and your hand.. The nail will start moving on it's own, if it circles then it's a filly, if it swings side to side or front to back it's a colt.. Many believe it's an 'old wive's tale' but has proven true for us thus far..
default_wink.png
: can't wait to see if it comes true this year since all mares tested fillies but one! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back