Question about Ivermectrin dewormers-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrrae

Reaction score
I know there was something on here before about Ivermectrin dewormers being fatal to collie dogs - my question is what about the horse manure?

How soon after you deworm your horses with Ivermectrin can you allow your collie to be in the area where the horse manure is? Our collie loves to eat horse poop, I do not want to take any chances of her getting sick from the Ivermectrin/based manure.

I have never worried about this before because we have always had German Shepherds but now, we also have a collie.

If anyone has any experience/suggestions - please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

You know, I am so paranoid about that myself. I have a BC and a BC mix and just dont want my dogs around that... and you KNOW they just love to find fresh manure and well..... you know!!

I know if the horses have worms they start passing those in 24 hours. Have seen this with horses I have purchased that came with free worms, LOL I usually keep the dogs away from everything from the time I worm and for several days after cause I am not sure how long it stays in their system. But I had a horse once pass worms for three days and one pass worms for EIGHT days!!!! (the most disgusting thing I have ever seen)

Oh you have THOSE kind of dogs. My neighbors used to tease about their big dog- that they used to pay her to 'clean up' at their place, LOL
default_biggrin.png

I have a question, if Collies are sensitive to Ivermec, can they take heart worm meds? Which are similar to Ivermec Gold? Just wondered, as I never knew that about collies, but I have never owned on.

I have a question, if Collies are sensitive to Ivermec, can they take heart worm meds? Which are similar to Ivermec Gold? Just wondered, as I never knew that about collies, but I have never owned on.
Its my understanding taht there is a heartworm med that is not ivermectin based, but I'm not sure. I know when I was in CO my Aussie was on heartworm meds, but I don't recall the brand (they aren't given routinely in MT, so I didn't give them to her when I moved back home).

I had a Aussie with seizures and was told by my vet NOT to use anything with Ivermectin in it as it can make the seizures worse or cause them. Sadly we had to humanely put him down

We have border collies who are kennelled in our barn. They have the run of the farm and we have 20 plus horses who are wormed regularly.

If it's border collies you refer to, I was not aware of the ivermectin problem and our dogs are 6 years and 9 years respectively and quite healthy.

We have border collies who are kennelled in our barn. They have the run of the farm and we have 20 plus horses who are wormed regularly.
If it's border collies you refer to, I was not aware of the ivermectin problem and our dogs are 6 years and 9 years respectively and quite healthy.
The saying is: "White feet, don't treat". Referring to white-footed herding breeds; Aussies, Shelties, Collies (Lassie-type), Border Collies, I think Corgies, and probably others; they seem to be more sensitive and more likely to have a negative reaction to ivermectin.

It is only the wormer itself that is the issue - not manure. So if you are using paste and some gets on the floor.... clean it up ASAP.

I've also heard (from our vets) that it's the dewormer (Ivermectin) that is harmful, not if the dogs eat the horse poop after the horses are dewormed. We have a collie.

As to heartworms, Ivermectin is the active ingredient in some brands, but not all. We use Interceptor, which does not contain ivermectin.

Additionally, collies can be tested for the mutant MDR1 gene, which will tell you if they are senstive to Ivermectin
default_yes.gif

As to heartworms, Ivermectin is the active ingredient in some brands, but not all. We use Interceptor, which does not contain ivermectin.
Thank you for posting the name (Interceptor); I had just read about it on an Aussie forum a couple days ago, and already forgot the name.
default_rolleyes.gif

It is a mutated gene that causes the problem. I BELIEVE it's called the MRD3 gene. It is not a problem with EVERY dog in the breed. Infact it seems like a relatively small percentage tend to have a sensitivity. It to run in bloodlines too. There is actually a test that's been out for a few years to test to see if your dog has a sensitivity.

All the research i've done stated if your dog has teh problem even a TEENY dose will send it into seizures. Most dogs have had the heartworm meds with it in it with no problems (people don't relise that though).

I breed and raise Aussies so was concerned about it. I routinely use ivermectin but I also know my dogs are fine with it.

If you are concerned find out from your vet what heartworm you've used that should help clue you in or get the test done.

Thanks everyone for your help -

I had checked with 2 different vets - my horse vet didn't seem to think it was anything to be concerned about and my small animal vet said it would have to be a lot of manure eating before it would affect a dog - she didn't seem to think there was anything to worry about - I did a search on the internet and found so many horror stories that is scared me.

I know that somewhere I had heard/read that it could be fatal to collies - seeing that this is our first collie who is now at the stage where she goes in the horse pens with me, I felt some concern. She seems to think horse manure is a delicacy.

chandab - you are soooo correct - (Oh you have THOSE kind of dogs. My neighbors used to tease about their big dog- that they used to pay her to 'clean up' at their place, LOL)

Yes,those are the kind of dogs we have - sometimes I think if I had enough German Shepherds/collies I wouldn't ever have to clean my stalls! HA!

Thanks again, LB people are just the VERY BEST!!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back