question about in-hand classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace67

Reaction score
like halter, obstacle, showmanship, etc. at the breed level. If the handler is unable to jog due to physical limitations but the horse jogs correctly alongside the handler at the appropriate times during a pattern or through obstacles......is that acceptable or would the exhibitor be marked down or DQ'd? In other words is it the horse being judged, the handler or a combination of both?

I know in halter obstacle (at least at the Pinto Association shows) that as long as the MINI is trotting, it is fine. We are actually training some of ours that way for the 4-Her's. I don't really think they CAN mark you down, because if you were in a motorized wheelchair or scooter you wouldn't be "trotting" either and I know that is acceptable. I think it looks pretty impressive for a mini to trot when the handler walks! Now you might get a judge that doesn't agree but I don't think they can penalize you for it.

The handler doesn't have to jog, they aren't being judged. When it states to "Trot" on a pattern, it's the horse than needs to trot.

It's the horse that needs to trot, there are no specifications about the handler in the rule books.

great thanks so much. I can't jog anymore with my replaced knee (well in an emergency I could but shouldn't on a regular basis if I want it to last a long time) but I can walk out fairly quickly and my gelding trots nicely alongside me. I'll be going to a few breed shows this summer just to watch and see what classes I might be able to participate in and we'll be driving at some point too. I'll be sure to check out the rule books too.....thanks!

Remember, showmanship is judged mostly on the handler. I would think in showmanship you would need to follow the pattern as it was posted but the other classes I think.you would be fine walking.

Back