In-Hand Trail Class , question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravation Acres

Reaction score
Our County fair is offering In-Hand Trail Class for Miniatures this year. They are not giving out any information on what the obstacles or pattern until the first day of the fair.

So I was wondering about the side passing. If we are required to side pass to the left. do I change to the right side of the horse and have him move away from me. Or do I stay on the left and pull him towards me? I have tried to google information and have got some great articles about this kind of class but I have also got conflicting information. Some articles say you may touch the horse during side passing and others say you may not touch the horse at all or you will be counted down for it.

Thanks for any help in this matter,

Deb

The side pass can be done with the horse moving away from you or I've seen it with the person standing in front of the horse(not a good position if it were a big horse).

I would ask at the show what the rules are because in some places (Pinto Assn) it is OK to touch the horse to sidepass and sometimes not. For training purposes, I start the sidepass to the left from the "off" side, so I just reverse the cues for the sidepass to the right. But if you can get the horse to sidepass in either direction from the front, it looks to much more professional - not just to me, but to all the judges I have seen,

Just a tip--make sure your horse can side pass over a larger object that may touch their belly like a large flower box with tall flowers touching them. It may be more than a ground pole.

Just a tip--make sure your horse can side pass over a larger object that may touch their belly like a large flower box with tall flowers touching them. It may be more than a ground pole.

Latest posts

Back