Question about driving classes at the world show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormo41

Reaction score
I've watching the driving classes and I've been noticing that at times the horses can get bunched up and they are all in the same spot. I was just wondering if you would be allowed to circle at the end of the arena to get yourself some space?

It definitely takes some skill to stay out of those packs. You don't want to be stuck in them, especially if you are on the rail, as the judge can't see you behind the other horses. For the horses in the middle of the ring, they are showing "off the rail" which is equally bad (but the judges almost always forgive that...)

Circling isn't really permitted, and it's dangerous in big classes.

The problem is a lot of people try to pass you, but can't really go too much faster.

First of all, set yourself up during the slower paces, and go a little slower to fall behind the other exhibitors so you are all by yourself. That way you can really drive on and show your horse at the extended speeds.

Second of all, USE the CORNERS. If you are coming up on a horse, dig deep into the corner to buy yourself some room instead of cutting the corner.

It's really tough, to try to gage your speed and keep track of where everyone is around you.

At Nationals it's even harder, due to the number of exhibitors in the ring around you.

A lot of times, they don't have respect or courtesy for those in the ring with them, they just want to get the best performance out of their horse, even if it means boxing you in.:nono:

Andrea

I don't know about driving but when I was riding it was permitted to cut across to a less crowded area , but you didn't circle.

Robin

You can make a big circle at an end. You have to watch out for the Judges and ring stewards! You can also cut across one end or the other. You can use the corners (I have been) but in this arena you tend to get lost if you do that.

Latest posts

Back