Question about a wormer I found ....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobie

Reaction score
Hi all from Northern Ontario !!

My Mom and Dad just got back from a visit with my sister in Alberta and brought home

for me a horse wormer they found.

It is Canadian made and comes in a pellet form (very small pellets)

FARNAN Apple-Flavored Alfalfa Pettet Horse Wormer

For the Removal of:

Large Strongyles or Bloodworms

Large Roundworms or Ascarids

Small Stongyles and Pinworms

Active Ingredient: Piperazine Phosphate Monogydrate ..... 50%

Ingredients: Piperazine, dehydrated alfalfa and artificial flavors

states can be use on horses 3 months of age and up.

Comes in 7.5 oz bags (which is suppose to be for a full size horse)

Price she paid out there was $11.99 for the bag.

I know there are some things that are not safe for minis ...
default_unsure.png
:

is this ok or not ????

Debbie

The biggest problem I can see is getting the dosage right.

I cannot see any harm to Minis- although I would query why the foal exclusion- is it, as was Moxidectin (quest) because of weight- in which case the weight of a Mini is often the same as a big foal??

The other thing is I cannot see any actual advantages of using this drug over, for example, Fenbendazole- which I know to be safe and which kills the same, fairly narrow margin of drugs.

If I used this chemical I would certainly have a faecal count done a couple of weeks later to see what was going on.

The direction on the back state in weight

foals aprox 300 lbs. 2.5 oz

yearlings aprox 600 lbs. 5.0 oz

adult horses aprox 900 lbs. 7.5 oz

it states you can use on horses, ponys, foals from three months on,

mares up to foaling time and horses in heavy training.

It also states it can be used safely every 8 to 10 weeks.

My consern was if it had something harmful to minis in it ...

if not I want to give it a try since it is cheeper then worming tubes

and tasting like apples my guys should take it happily !!

I do understand and agree with testing samples ...

I used it on my minis a long time ago. Not harmful but piperazine isn't a very effective dewormer so my vet said to stick with the paste types like Ivermectrin and fenbendazole. They are much cheaper per dose as well.

I used it on my minis a long time ago. Not harmful but piperazine isn't a very effective dewormer so my vet said to stick with the paste types like Ivermectrin and fenbendazole. They are much cheaper per dose as well.
Yep
default_yes.gif
: ,piperazine is a mild anthelmentic and is still used in many products and is perfectly safe for minis. It's been available here in the states since 1953 and is considered "outdated" so far as equine dewormers go.

Like the above posters stated... there are more effective products available.

Cheap is not always cheaper- there is often a reason that some things are more expensive.

I would suggest sticking to a generic form of the known and tested wormers- it is not cheap at $12.00 for a "big horse" dose, after all- you can get generic Ivermectin cheaper- a lot cheaper- than that.

Cheap is not always cheaper- there is often a reason that some things are more expensive.

I would suggest sticking to a generic form of the known and tested wormers- it is not cheap at $12.00 for a "big horse" dose, after all- you can get generic Ivermectin cheaper- a lot cheaper- than that.
Thanks everyone this is what I needed to know !!! but fyi Rabbit I can not get Ivermectin for under $12 !!

Welcome to Canada !!! <G>

Can you order from Jeffers or American Livestock in Canada?? Wormers are $2.99 and up from those places. I get Generic Ivermectin for $2.99 a tube. Works great and very cost effective! Good Luck!
default_wub.png
:

If you want "cheap" yet "good" buy the generic liquid ivermectin; price dropped drastically last year and a full horse size dose of it is less than $4 Canadian--and that's purchased in Canada. It works at least as good as the paste version, which sells here for $16.95 per tube.

Latest posts

Back