deworming product question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandminis

Reaction score
I am wondering about the following type of deworming product - should I stay away from using it( just because it looks like an "easy" way to worm them,might be too good to be true?)

Apple-flavored Alfalfa Pellet Horse Wormer is for the removal of:

-Large Strongles or Bloodworms (Strongylus vulgaris).

-Large Roundworms or Ascarids (Parascaris equorum)

-Small Strongyles and Pinworms (Oxyuris equi)

Active ingredients

Piperazine Phosphate Monohydrate ..........50%

Equvalent to 21% (44.69g) Piperazine base

Our primary dewormer here is Bimectin, an apple flavored Ivermectin GEL that the horses cannot spit out. It is less than $3/tube that treats 1,250 pounds of horse. Once our horses get a taste of it, they BEG for it as if it's cookies! They love it. We've used it for years and deworming is very easy and comprehensive with this product
default_yes.gif

Our primary dewormer here is Bimectin, an apple flavored Ivermectin GEL that the horses cannot spit out. It is less than $3/tube that treats 1,250 pounds of horse. Once our horses get a taste of it, they BEG for it as if it's cookies! They love it. We've used it for years and deworming is very easy and comprehensive with this product
default_yes.gif
wow thats cheap ! I pay double that , Ive used that too when I can get it and they love the taste ,

I am wondering about the following type of deworming product - should I stay away from using it( just because it looks like an "easy" way to worm them,might be too good to be true?)

Apple-flavored Alfalfa Pellet Horse Wormer is for the removal of:

-Large Strongles or Bloodworms (Strongylus vulgaris).

-Large Roundworms or Ascarids (Parascaris equorum)

-Small Strongyles and Pinworms (Oxyuris equi)

Active ingredients

Piperazine Phosphate Monohydrate ..........50%

Equvalent to 21% (44.69g) Piperazine base
This type of wormer (piperazine) isn't the most effective dewormer today but it does have its place in the grand scheme of things. Most will eat it, it doesn't cause massive quick die off, and thus it is a good starter dewormer if you have a wormy horse or a horse without a deworming history or a wild one that you can't get paste into. This is the active ingredient that was used in the old vet administered naso-gastric tube deworming.

Use caution if you are on an ivermectin heavy deworming program as ivermectin resistance in large roundworms and small strongyles is a real and growing problem.

We rotate between Ivermectin and Panacur and have had great luck with it.

Lewella, I would be grateful for any link you can give me to proof of Ivermectin resistance?

There is a big problem, well documented, of resistance to Fenbendazole and, for this reason, I will not use it except as a foal first wormer and in a five day course.

I do not rotate wormers, I use Ivermectin as a "base" wormer and then use Praziquantel for Tapes and Fenbendazole five day, twice a year, in addition to the bi-monthly Ivermectin.

Resistance in Large Roundworms (Parascaris equorum) was first observed in Ontario a decade ago and the first published study conducted in Canada took place in 2002 & 2003. Gluck Equine Research Center at the Univeristy of Kentucky and the University of Minnesota did studies shortly thereafter and reached the same conclusion that the study at the University of Guelph had reached. Studies first published in 2007 indicate that small strongyls are also developing resistance.

Articles citing the above research are available on TheHorse.com (you may need to make an account and sign in to view)

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=5117 - Ivermectin Resistance in Foals April 2004

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=11668 - Study: Small Strongyles Developing Resistance to Ivermectin April 2008

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=17866 - Fenbendazole: Better Treatment for Fighting Resistant Ascarids (AAEP 2010)

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=16172 - Roundworm Resistance to Dewormers Assessed in Canada April 2010 (this article in particular is very interesting as it discusses the efficacy of each class of dewormer commonly used today to deworm for roundworms)

I do not worm every month or even two. I worm maybe 4x's a year (spring, summer, fall and winter). Each time I worm a use a different type of wormer. I have in the past used a pelleted type of wormer for my big horses and we did have a problem with it. No problem with the horse. But, the stable I was at had chickens. The wormer package even warned that even the p**p could be harmful to other animals. I put it into my horses feed and the next day there were about 10 dead chickens. They ate what the horses dropped and also tried to share the grain. As you saw the markers of blue pellets in the p**p a few days later showed up, chickens started dieing again. I felt bad about it but I had to worm my horses.

What about Pyrantel paste? I just noticed my husband had purchased it unstead of Ivermectin. I was wondering if it would be a good alternate for a month.

Pyrantel (Strongid) is always part of my deworming rotation.

Under my vets recommendations, I now do fecal counts before any deworming. We take samples from each pasture/paddock and test. From that test we decide which dewormer is required. I have a closed group and there isn't a lot of coming and goings from them. I als o clean the paddocks weekly.

Pyrantel (Strongid) is always part of my deworming rotation.
Oh, ok I have rotated with Strongid on certain months. I did not realize that Pyrantel paste on the wrapper is just the company called Durvet name for their brand of basically same thing. Makes sense. I have switched from worming every 5-6 weeks to strictly every 30 days. That is what my vet recommended. A mare of mine that is being treated for IR also does a lot of scratching her belly on anything she can find. He showed me a lump on her belly and said it and all the scratching was due to parasite so to change to every 30 day worming.

Rotating wormers only works if you are using the right product for the right time of year. Certian worms are more active during warmer weather, so if you're using the wrong wormer, you're basically wasting money. I do not use anything that is moxidectin, and though there's been no documented studies done, feed through wormers like Strongid and Continuex have a tendecy to store toxins in the liver. Since minis have issues with liver diseases that big horses don't, I don't use the feed throughs at all.

http://www.valleyvet.com/si_worm_facts.html

Latest posts

Back