Submit your Feed Info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin, Here is the link for Blue Seal Feeds www.blueseal.com. It lists all of the feeds and if you click on "guaranteeded analysis" under each product, it gives you the whole list of ingredients. There is also a chart that lists the grains weight by quart not cup will that work? If not I can weight the Demand.Trotter and Rider by cup. Thanks for a great idea and the work to do it! Donna-Funny Farm

If not I can weight the Demand.Trotter and Rider by cup.
I would really appreciate it if you could!! I can figure out protein percentages, mg/kg, convert ppm to mg per pound or just about anything else I need to do for this study. HOWEVER the thought of figuring out how many cups are in a quart gives me a headache (you can tell I don't spend much time in the kitchen!).

And to all of you who have gone out and purchased scales over the past few days, BLESS YOU! It's so good of you to take such an interest. Believe me -- you'll have fun with it, especially as the results of the project start to roll in.

I'm working on the Purina line first. Takes me about an hour to do the complete analysis on each feed, so bear with me. I just quit my job last week, so have some extra time...at least until someone offers me a new job!

Robin C

Strategy®

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein, % not less than 14%

Fat, % not less than 6.0%

Fiber, % not more than 8%

Calcium, minimum % not less than .6%

Calcium, maximum % not more than .9%

Phosphorus, minimum % not less than .60%

Copper, ppm not less than 55

Zinc, ppm not less than 220

Vit. A, IU/lb not less than 3000

Selenium, ppm not less than .6

1 cup = 5.75 oz.

Is this what you need to calculate this ??

Yep, just what I need.

Feel free to supply the guaranteed analysis if you don't mind typing, but rest assured that I can probably get it from the manufacturer's web site or from the stack of product brochures I have in my office. The most important need I have is for: weight per cup (preferably in ounces); NSC (starch and sugar) and DE (calories per pound), both of which can be obtained by calling your feed manufacturer's tollfree #, usually somewhere on the feed bag. When you call and ask them for NSC, don't let the "talk the talk" -- ask them specifically if the figure they give you reflects starch AND SUGAR combined, not JUST the starch figure!!

Robin C

Nutrena Life Design Senior 1 cup=5 1/2 oz

Guarnateed Analysis:

Crude protein 14.0

Lysine 0.65

Methionine 0.25

crude fat 5.0

crude fiber 16.0

calcium 0.8

phospherous 0.7

copper 40 ppm

selinium0.3 ppm

zinc 140 ppm Vit A 6,000 IU/lb

vitamin A 6,000 iu/lb

vit. D3 450 IU/LB

vitamin E 75 IU/LB

Absorbic acid 75 MG/LB

Biotin 0.45 MG/LB

Ing.

grain products,active dry yeast, yeast culture, dehulled Soybean products, Whole flax, processed grain by-products, Dried whey, roughage products, molasses products, Dried extracted streptomyces fermentation soluables

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is where we run into problems. MY bag of Nutrena Life Design Senior that was just delivered (Lot: FR63111337) has the following ingredients:

Active dry yeast, hominy feed, wheat middlings, wheat red dog, dried whey, soybean hulls, dehydrated alfalfa meal, lecithin, casein, molasses and then a list of vitamins. Guaranteed analysis is the same as Buckskin Gal listed.

Now last year (Lot FR6192768) the ingredients started with ground corn, active dry yeast, wheat middlings, wheat red dog... with analysis same.

Now last year (Lot FR6192768) the ingredients started with ground corn, active dry yeast, wheat middlings, wheat red dog... with analysis same.
Yes, unfortunately the data will only be as good as the most up-to-date info we can come up with!

Robin C

Yep, just what I need.

Feel free to supply the guaranteed analysis if you don't mind typing, but rest assured that I can probably get it from the manufacturer's web site or from the stack of product brochures I have in my office. The most important need I have is for: weight per cup (preferably in ounces); NSC (starch and sugar) and DE (calories per pound), both of which can be obtained by calling your feed manufacturer's tollfree #, usually somewhere on the feed bag. When you call and ask them for NSC, don't let the "talk the talk" -- ask them specifically if the figure they give you reflects starch AND SUGAR combined, not JUST the starch figure!!

Robin C
I will do this tomorrow .. and thanks again :538: (to everyone contributing)

Robin is there any way you can email me the headers we are going to use so I can set the spreadsheet up?

Whitney, I've been formulating and reformulating my database information in order to present the data in the most useful manner after discovering that doing the conversions by hand/calculator was a major PITA given all the feed types we are looking at. Set up a database file which does all the conversions for me automatically as I feed in Guaranteed Analysis figures from each product (whew, what a relief!).

I am setting this up as a 4-part relational database, with the first part simply entitled FEED/GRAINS. This is analyzing all of the guaranteed analysis information (subsequent databases will relate to one another and provide additional information regarding: 2) supplements, 3) Forage, 4) total diet analysis).

Here is a sample (though I cannot display my column-type formatting here) of the information that will be provided, using Purina Born To Win as an example:

PRODUCT: Purina Born To Win

CLASS: Maintenance BODY WEIGHT: 100 kg (220 lbs)

WEIGHT per cup: 5.5 oz, CUPS FED DAILY: 3 TOTAL BORN TO WIN DAILY: 16.5 oz

These figures do NOT reflect nutrition supplied by hay or pasture -- only this product

@32% crude protein = 9.08 grams protein/oz; 49.98 grams/cup =

daily protein of 149.95 grams daily (177 grams minimum required daily from all feed sources)

@5% crude fat = 1.42 grams fat/oz or 7.81 grams/fat per cup or ? calories/day from fat (still working on this)

@3.7 calcium = 1.05 grams calcium/oz or 5.77 grams calcium/cup or total of 17.33 grams calcium/day (recommended daily minimum = 6 grams from all feed sources)

@1.6% phosphorus = .454 grams/oz or 2.49 grams/cup or 7.49 grams/day

(recommended daily minimum = 4.2 grams/day from all feed sources)

= calcium:phosphorus ratio of 2:1 (recommended amount = 1.5-2:1)

You get the jist. What I'm trying to accomplish is not ONLY providing us all with the relevant figures, but trying to help you put those figures to WORK in order to help everyone better understand what they are feeding when they give 1 cup of this, 2 cups of that. To do that requires a LOT more math than most people (including myself) are willing to do. This project's goal is to have the math ALREADY done for you -- all you must do then is compare numbers.

NOTE TO SELF: Increase Born to Win to 4 cups per day for my late pregnant mares. Yep -- the "feed guru" as ya'll so kindly call me
default_wink.png
: found out she probably wasn't providing enough protein and other nutrients to her late pregnant broodmares with the amounts I was feeding. It took the numbers FROM THIS PROJECT staring me in the face to make me take notice!!! THIS IS THE POINT OF THIS WHOLE DEAL!!!! To allow you to compare what YOU are feeding to a ballpark figure for daily recommended amounts. Don't let the calculations or the use of "grams" "mg" "ppm" frighten you off from using these numbers. Bottom line is 2 figures: 1) what your feed is providing on a daily basis, and 2) what is the recommended amount for daily consumption (considering all sources of food).

Ultimately, here is what I hope to be able to provide:

1) analyze your feed as the first step

2) add the nutrients supplied by your supplement and hay (on an averaged basis)

3) Give a ballpark figure of what areas your diet may be off one way or another.

It will take a while for all 4 of these parts to come together, but I've got a good headstart on part 1 data and with the spreadsheet people helping, you'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison of nutrients supplied by the different feeds as well.

Robin C

I feed Triple Crown Feeds.

Triple Crown Lite: currently out of stock at feed store

Triple Crown Lite Overview

Triple Crown Lite Analysis

Triple Crown Lite Ingredients

Triple Crown Lite Feeding Directions

Triple Crown Complete feeding this now

Triple Crown Complete Overview

Triple Crown Complete Analysis

Triple Crown Complete Ingredients

Triple Crown Complete Feeding Directions

Triple Crown Growth feeding this now

Triple Crown Growth Overview

Triple Crown Growth Analysis

Triple Crown Growth Ingredients

Triple Crown Growth Feeding Directions

Triple Crown Senior - not feeding this currently but plan to later this year.

Triple Crown Senior Overview

Triple Crown Senior Analysis

Triple Crown Senior Ingredients

Triple Crown Senior Feeding Directions

We have fed the Triple Crown Forage products in the past - but are not using them currently. Currently we are feeding Orchard Grass Hay and a mixed Hay containing Orchard Grass and Alfalfa.

We also feed Beet Pulp, BOSS, Alfalfa Cubes and to 3 of the horses (one with locking stifles and 2 dwarves) we feed Equinylâ„¢ CM with HA .

Equinylâ„¢ CM with HA

Advanced glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate formula, now with Hyaluronic Acid (HA). 2/3 oz per day provides 2500 mg of glucosamine HCI, 875 mg of chondroitin sulfate, 30 mg of HA and 550 mg of bromelain, plus 1575 mg of ester C® and 7500 mg of ultra pure Vita Flex® MSM in a palatable alfalfa base.

Just 2/3 oz per day provides 2,500 mg of glucosamine HCl, 875 mg of chondroitin sulfate, 30 mg of hyaluronic acid and 550 mg of bromelain, plus 1,575 mg of Ester C and 7,500 mg of ultra pure Vita Flex MSM

Also contains copper, zinc and manganese for enzyme and antioxidant support

Premium quality palatable alfalfa base makes it east-to-give

Comprehensive formula for support and maintenance of healthy hips and joints

Equinyl CM with HA listing on Jeffers

<< Vita Flex® Equinyl™ CM product label information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vita Flex® Nutrition

Vita Flex® Equinyl™ CM with Hyaluronic Acid

Equine Joint Support Formula

For all CLASSES of adult horses

Glucosamine HCl & Chondroitin Sulfate

Hyaluronic Acid

MSM and Ester-C®

Bromelain

Product FactsActive Ingredients per 2/3 ounce:

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) .............................................. 7,500 mg

Glucosamine HCl (marine) ................................................... 2,500 mg

Ester-C® (source of ascorbic acid) ..................................... 1,575 mg

Chondroitin (poultry) ............................................................... 875 mg

Bromelain ................................................................................. 550 mg

Zinc (from proteinate) ............................................................. 65 mg

Manganese (from proteinate) ............................................... 50 mg

Hyaluronic Acid (sodium salt) ............................................... 30 mg

Copper (from proteinate) ....................................................... 13 mg

Inactive Ingredients:

artificial flavor, calcium carbonate, dehydrated alfalfa meal, mineral oil

Precautions:

Safe use in pregnant animals or animals intended for breeding has not been proven. Consult with your veterinarian before using this product in animals with clotting disorders; being treated with anticoagulant medications; diabetes, or any metabolic disorder causing hyperglycemia; history of urinary tract stones; known allergies to shellfish.

If lameness worsens, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian.

For use in horses only.

Recommended for the support and maintenance of healthy hip and join function.

Equinyl CM with Hyaluronic Acid is a special blend of ingredients for healthy hip and joint support. It supplies well-researched ingredients, including purified glucosamine HCl, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, Ester-C's patented vitamin C, bromelain, plus generous amounts of ultra pure Vita Flex MSM. Equinyl CM with Hyaluronic Acid also supplies copper, zinc, and manganese to ensure the horse's system is ready. It is an excellent choice for joint support of horses facing strains of again, training and competition.

Directions for Use:

- Enclosed scoop holds 2/3 ounces

- Give 1-1/3 to 2 ounces (2 to 3 scoops) daily for first three to four weeks. Give 2/3 to 1-1/3 ounces (1 to 2 scoops) daily for maintenance or as directed by veterinarian. Keep in a cool, dry place. Reseal after each use.

Warnings:

- For animal use only.

- Keep out of the reach of other animals and children. In case of accidental overdose, contact a health professional immediately.

- This product should not be given to animals intended for human consumption.

- Administer during or after the animal has eaten to reduce incidence of gastrointestinal upset.

Vita Flex® Nutrition

1302-B Lew Ross Road Council Bluffs, IA 51501

(800) 848 2359

www.vitaflex.com

Disclaimer

Every effort has been made by Jeffers to ensure the accuracy of the information listed above. However, it remains your responsibility to become familiar with the products you are purchasing. Please consult your family veterinarian if you have any questions.

>>

I will get weights of the complete and growth and edit this posting.

JJay

Thanks JJ! I appreciate the supplement information, and I sure could use weight/cup of the TC Complete and the TC Senior.

Robin C

I am feeding Big V's Heritage Senior.

Here is the analysis:

Analysis Amount

Crude Protein 14.00%

Lysine 0.70%

Methionine 0.40%

Threonine 0.60%

Crude Fat 5.00%

Crude Fiber 15.00%

Calcium .80-1.20%

Phosphorous 0.75%

Copper 50 ppm

Zinc 175 ppm

Selenium .5 ppm

Vitamin A 6,000 IU/lb

Vitamin C 64 mg/lb

Vitamin D 500 IU/lb

Vitamin E 80 IU/lb

Biotin .60 mg/lb

Main Ingredients

1. Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal

2. Wheat Middlings

3. Ground Corn

4. Rice Bran

5. Soybean Meal

6. Soybean Hulls

7. Corn Chops

8. Cane Molasses

9. Soybean Oil

One cup dry measure weighs 4.5 ounces on my postage scale.

Hey Robin,

I finally got my act together and took my 1 cup measuring cup from my kitchen, filled it with SafeChoice 14%, and poured it into a very light zip lock back and weighed it at work. Came to .255 - .26 lbs depending on how I laid it on the scale
default_wacko.png
:

Hope this helps
default_smile.png

Hi Robin,

I feed Nutrena XTN

One level 8 ounce cup weighs in at 4 ounces on the dot, that does not iclude the weight of the cup.

Here is the link to the webpage for the nutrition information........

Nutrena XTN

I'll have to get you a list of ingredients off the bag tomorrow. Anything else you need?

One packed - level 8 oz cup of Triple Crown Complete ways 5.1 oz on the postal scale weighed in a ziplock bag.

We plan to get the "Senior" today - will weigh it on monday.

JJay

{{{HUGS}}} Robin! You go girl! I can't wait to see what you compose for us to use, thank you. I have been in a complete delima on feeding. The feed store operator gave me this bag saying this is what I need. I took him at his word since I HAD to have feed and they were closing.

After looking at the tag, I'm not sure what to think about it. I don't like the word "bi-product" 1 50 lb. bag of feed will last 1 mini. a very long time, so hopefully it is a good feed.

Info:

(Local feed mix)

ALL PURPOSE PELLETS"

Crude Protein....Min. 12%

Crude Fat......... Min. 2 %

Crude Fiber...... Max. 18%

Calcium........... Min. 0.50% Max. 0.80%

Phosphorous.... Min. 0.30%

Potassium........ Min. 0.65%

Copper............ Min. 11ppm

Selenium......... Min. .10ppm

Zinc................ Min. 40ppm

Vitamin A........ Min. 10,000 IU/lb

Ingredients:

Grain Products

Plant Protein Products

Processed Grain By Products

Roughage Products

Molasses Products

Vitamin A Supplements

Vitamin D3 supplement

Vitamin E supplement

Vitamin B12 Supplement

Riboflavin Supplement

Niacin Supplement

Calcium Pantothenante

**I will get the 1 cup weight asap. This list looks nothing like the others posted. I question its ingredients since they aren't clear.)

~Karen

HI Robin, Would you need info on Purinea Born to Win Supplement? Joyce

Latest posts

Back