Submit your Feed Info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin_C

Reaction score
If you've followed Marty's thread on confusion about what to feed, you'll understand what is prompting this thread and the ensuing project that I will be working on along with several helpful volunteers! In fact, the whole point of this exercise is so EVERYONE can contribute!

GOAL OF PROJECT:

1) To collect information about different feeds and supplements, to include the guaranteed analysis from the bag tags/labels, feeding recommendations and "hidden information" about feeds such as starch/sugar levels as well as calories per pound.

2) To display that information in a manner which will allow the reader to compare nutritional levels supplied by feed and supplement choices.

3) To better familiarize you with how to read bag tag information and how your feeding choices affect your horses.

4) To provide a baseline guide for nutrition levels required on a daily basis by miniature horses, loosely based on the current NRC Nutrition Requirements of Horses.

THIS PROJECT WILL NOT:

1) Be responsible for accuracy of figures. The data collectors can only interpret the figures as supplied by the manufacturers. No assumption can be made as to the accuracy of those figures. Data will be compiled from the most recent data available and the date collected will be noted. Changes may occur after the date of data collection which may affect the project's accuracy.

2) Will NOT tell you what feed is the best choice for your horses BASED ON OPINION nor experience, and will show no bias towards one feed vs. another. All data reporting will be done objectively, reflecting verifiable numbers only.

ITEMS TO KEEP IN MIND:

1) Data collected by the group will only reflect nutrients supplied by feeds and/or supplements. The NRC Nutrient Requirements for Horses reflect nutrient levels required from ALL feed sources on a daily basis, including hay/forage, feed and supplements. Hay and forage nutrient levels MUST be taken into consideration when determining a balanced ration for your horse. The figures supplied by this project should be taken into consideration with specific nutritional data from your hay and/or forage (as determined by laboratory analysis) in order to determine full nutritional value of your feeding program. Forage figures may be supplied by this project at a future date and will be based on "averages" and noted as such. The nutritional component of YOUR specific hay or forage may differ, sometimes radically, from those averages.

WHAT YOU CAN PROVIDE TO HELP WITH THE PROJECT:

1) The guaranteed analysis from your feed product. This can be obtained several ways: a link to the web site that shows the complete analysis, a JPG copy of a scanned bag tag or a typed list of the guaranteed analysis including all items noted by a %, mg or ppm.

2) A list of ingredients from the ingredient list on bag (different from the guaranteed analysis). The first 10 items will be sufficient.

3) Feeding instructions as per the manufacturer.

EXTRA BONUS:

Weigh 1 cup of your feed and provide that weight in ounces.

This following is a list of the feed products (defined as food in 40-50 # bags, making up a key ingredient in the diet) and supplements (defined as any smaller containers which could be found on a store shelf or catalogue), forage (hay or hay substitutes). If they are on this list, we already have the information required EXCEPT if you note missing information (indicated by "not available yet", such as weight per cup, NSC value (starch and sugar), DE (calories), please feel free to supply it! Add your information on this thread, then I'll move it up to this list in Alphabetical Order.

Once you commit to a product, try to gather as much information as possible about it. #1 -- It behooves you to find out as much info as possible about what you are feeding and #2) aside from the Guaranteed Analysis, it would be good to have weight per cup,the DE per pound (calories) and NSC (starch and sugar). This info can be obtained from the manufacturer and since your bag will have the 800# on it, it would be wonderful if YOU would call and ask for that information (but if you'd really rather not, let me know the toll-free #).

[SIZE=10pt]FEEDS: [/SIZE]

ACCO

Safe & Sound...(Chanda)... oz/cup= ; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Blue Seal

Demand...(Donna/Funny Farm) ? oz/cup; NSC=26% ; calories/oz =

Rider...(Donna/Funny Farm) ? oz/cup; NSC=44% ; calories/oz=

Trotter...(Donna/Funny Farm) ? oz/cup; NSC=25% ; calories/oz=

Buckeye:

Gro N Win....(Whitney) 4 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Safe & Easy, pellets: ? oz/cup; NSC=12.5%; calories/oz=

Safe & Easy, textured: ? oz/cup; NSC=16%; calories/oz=

Envision

Classic...(Chanda): ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Lo Carb...(Chanda): ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

LMF:

Lo Carb Complete....info linked (Liz/Hosscrazy) ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Nutrena

Lite Balance...calories/oz = 62.5; NSC= ; ? oz/cup

Safe Choice....linked (Tapestry/Christine), ? oz/cup; NSC= 22-28% as tested; calories/oz=

Vitality 12% ...link provided (JDHand/Dinda) ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Vitality 14% (JDHand/Dinda) ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Youth...(Chanda) ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=79.06

Life Design Sr...(Buckskin Gal): 5.5 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Oats, whole (Robin C) oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=81

Oats, crimped 4 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=81

Platform

Mini Formula (Mindy/Chamomile) 5 oz/cup; NSC= ;calories/oz=

Mare and Foal (Mindy/Chamomile)? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Performance (? Mindy/Chamomile)? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Progressive

Alfalfa balancer (Becky/Redrock) ? oz/cup; NSC = ; calories/oz=

Grass Balancer (Chanda) 5.4 oz/cup; NSC = ; calories/oz=

High Fat formula (Becky/Redrock) ? oz/cup; NSC = ; calories/oz=

Lo Carb: 4.9 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Purina

Born To Win (Robin C) oz/cup; NSC = 16%; calories/oz=

Mare & Maintenance oz/cup= ; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Adult (Robin1) have all info needed 5.1 oz/cup; NSC=20%; calories=68.75/oz

Jr (Robin 1) 5.1 oz per cup; NSC=23%; calories=84.37 oz.

Sr (Robin 1) 5.1 oz per cup; NSC= 22%; calories/oz=

Strategy (Justagirl): 5.75 oz/cup; NSC=28% ; calories/oz=94

Ultium...(Jan/Wildoak)...5.5 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=112.5

Southern States

Legends 12% (Sterling)... oz/cup= ; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Triple Crown

30...info linked (Whitney) - ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Growth (Robin C) 5.5 oz/cup; NSC=19.8 ; calories/oz= 100

Lite (Robin C) oz/cup; NSC=15.9%; calories/oz=71.87

Woodys

Senior...(Chanda): oz/cup =5.3 ; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Sweet 12...(Chanda): oz/cup= ; NSC= ; calories/oz=

[SIZE=10pt]SUPPLEMENTS [/SIZE] (Items generally bought off a shelf or available through catalogue in smaller containers).

We have information for:

Black Oil Sunflower seed (BOSS) / Robin C; 1/4 cup = 0.8 oz; NSC=5.6%

Flax / Robin C; 1 tbsp = 0.5 oz 1 cup = 6 oz; NSC = 36%; calories = 100/oz

Quiessence / Robin C

Rice Bran, Natural Glo....info linked (Liz/Hosscrazy)

Nutrena Empower: 1 cup=8oz; 125 calories/oz

[SIZE=10pt]FORAGE[/SIZE]

Alfalfa Pellets

? manufacturer (Becky/Redrock)

small pellet (Purina, Tractor Supply) 5.3 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Beet Pulp, Midwest AgriSuppliers...shreds (Robin C)

Beet Pulp, pellets, ? brand...(Lisa)....8 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Mountain Sunrise, Timothy Pellets....info linked (Liz/Hosscrazy)

Standlee

orchardgrass pellets 5.3 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

timothy pellets 5.3 oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Robin C

Last edited by a moderator:
GREAT IDEA ROBIN... :aktion033:

I will try to get some information to add to this however I am like Marty and am up in the air as to what to feed them at this point except our good Quality hay which I havent yet tested for the "06" however they did test our soil in our fields a month ago so I have to talk to hubby and get the report on what the Co-Op found.

BUMP!!!

Jeri

HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN PIN THIS FOR US.
default_yes.gif
:

Great idea, Robin. I'm sure you also know that a lot of the major feeds have been analyzed and posted on the Cushings/IR forum in the files section - you might want to cross reference with that data.

Also, for those who want to have their feeds analyzed, it is not expensive and can be done at www.dairyone.com.

I feed:

Mountain Sunrise Timothy Pellets: http://www.mountainsunrise.com/timothy.html

LMF Lo Carb Complete: http://www.lmffeeds.com/lmf_low-carb_02.html

Natural Glo Rice Bran: http://www.naturalglo.com/naturalglo.htm

I also feed soaked Bermuda Hay but cannot post the analysis as it varies so much. Generally speaking, the NSC level is below 15%.

Liz R.

I feed Nutrena Vitality 12% and 14%

I feed 12% to my horses that are 2 and older and 14% to the weanlings and yearlings.

I also add soaked beet pulp and feed good coastal hay.

Nutrena has lots of different feeds. These are the two I like the best for my minis. I was feeding their lite balance for my fatter horses, but I don't really like it.

Nutrena Vitality Feed

Thanks for the link, Dinda. They provide both guaranteed analysis and feeding rates on the site. Would you be able to weigh a cup of the product you use for the project? Would you be willing to call the manufacturer and get both the NSC value (make sure you ask for starch and sugar) and the calories/DE per pound?

Robin C

Holy cow Robin, this is fabulous! And quite an undertaking.

I also would like to suggest that maybe after the information is compiled, it be posted on the MINI INFO PAGES

Robin, I feel so responsible for getting you into this; especially having woke you up TWICE now in two weeks.....I'll be sending you some Asprin !!!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks Robin! This is going to be so helpful! I can't wait to read all the results...

Here is the link to the Platform Miniature Horse/ Pony Feed

A link to the Platform Pleasure Feed

A link to the Platform Performance Feed

A link to the Platform Mare and Foal Feed

I feed the Miniature Feed to my older horses and pregnant mares right now. Then when it comes closer to show season, in February I switch my show horses over to the Performance feed. Our weanlings and yearlings are on the Mare and Foal for now, fed in a creep feeder. Then when they hit two, if they will be showing, they will go onto the Performance feed.

I have tried to feed a rice stabalizer in the past, but my show horses just go a little loopy on it. I think it's just too much! I'm going to start adding the Platform Hoof Formula to the show horses feed this year too. Just to see if it gives me a little more shine
default_smile.png
We'll see!

The horses on the "show horses" page on my website were fed the Platform Performance feed. So you can go there to see a picture of how they looked for show season. On the "Scrapbook" page there are other pictures of some more show horses, all the show horses shown there were on the Platform Performance or Pleasure feed.

Mindy - thanks for the links. Don't forget to weigh your products if you can (kitchen scale, or baggie some up and take to your feed store, post office of even your grocery store vegetable scales)! Also, would you be willing to call Platform and ask them about NSC and DE? Don't have these values for any of the Platform feeds.

And Marty - thanks for the aspirin offer, but something stronger, please? I'm on my second glass of wine right now (but double-checking my figures!)

Robin C

I've had allot of people ask me about the NutraGlo suppliment that i use. I can provide the order phone number and all into on it out of the small book i have on it or off the back of the bottle.

Some other things you may want to consider

Red Cell (suppliment)

Buckeye Show N Win (kind of like Grow N Win but slightly different)

Quick question, is their much difference between rolled oats and steamed rolled oats?

Robin, do you need info on the Progressive Diet Balancers? I've got the alfalfa and high fat formulas here at home.

What about products such as alfalfa cubes/pellets? I feed a lot of alfalfa pellets!

We feed Coastal Hay/Alfalfa Hay, Beep Pulp and Nutrena's SafeChoice...here is a link Nutrena SafeChoice Info

It offers a higher fat % but in a "controlled starch formula".

It is also a feed for horses in "all life stages" so I can feed it to all my kids from my 8 month old colt to my broodmares and stallion to my big riding geldings.....instead of having 4 different feeds.

I will try to weight a cup of the SafeChoice but don't have access to any scales at the moment. I asked the owner of the feed store I work for and he said that a 3 quart scoop is about 5 pounds of the SafeChoice.

Edited at 9:32pm CST 1/6/07

Robin - I just remembered I have a scale at work...I will weight a level cup worth of SafeChoice when I'm back in on Tuesday and let you know!
default_yes.gif
:

I knew I would remember something else later..... :lol: Even though it does not show it on the website SafeChoice also comes in a 12% Protein pellet. All is the same except for the protein being 12% instead of 14%.
default_wacko.png
:

I'll be hapy to call Platform Robin! I'll do it on Monday. I always weigh the feed, every new bag I get. And consistently it is, 1 plump cup = 1 pound. Let me know if you need a different weight than that! And again thanks for putting so much time into this!

I just went and read the post that witney posted on feeding and looked at the things you wrote. I would also be interested in pitching in to buy the new nutrition guide! Of course I would want it in your capable hands, what would I know to do with it
default_rolleyes.gif
: So if you're interested please PM me!

I need weights for "level" cups - not heaping cups. We can never get a "precise" measurement due to variations in the measurement process (such as we've already noted) but we should aim for at least ballpark. Most of the pelleted products I weigh come in at 4-6 oz per cup or .25-.40 lbs per cup. The weight of a cup of the product is VERY important to this project, since that's how so many folks measure out portions. If you volunteer information for a product, continue to let me know whether you can measure it or not.

Becky - check the master list under each manufacturer. If the product is not listed, information has not been offered on it yet. I believe we have a volunteer for the grass balancer, but not the alfalfa balancer product from Progressive. By all means, if your alfalfa pellet package has nutritional information on it, include that as the guaranteed analysis. Any information supplied by the manufacturer will be of help. I can usually find guaranteed analysis on the product web site, but not always the manufacturer's feed rate recommendations and definitely not the NSC (except I believe Progressive does list that on their bags) and calories/DE.

Leanna - as far as whole oats, vs. rolled oats vs. steamed oats being different, the answer is yes, but probably only slightly. Anytime you process a whole grain by heating it, breaking the shell, etc., you risk losing nutrients. Nutrients in grain are at their most complete when enclosed by their tidy little shells!

Keep up the sleuthing ya'll. This project will benefit everyone!

Robin C

We have brood mares & we show a few of our younger stock. We feed a 14% sweet feed, made in our area.

I also give 1/2 cup of calf mana for vitamins to everybody. I feed timothy hay, 1 small flake 2 x a day.

When the brood mares are in foal I feed 4 cups of sweet feed, 2 cups of oats & 1/2 cup of calf mana once a day. Plus they have very fine timothy hay at will. I use the oats so the mares don't get too fat.
default_wacko.png
:

When they foal they get increased to 6 cups of grain & 2 cups of oats.Plus hay at will.

Yearlings get 4 cups of grain in the morning, 2 cups grain at night., 1/2 cup calf mana once a day & 1 small flake of hay 2 x a day. Most of my stock is around 33 to 35 in. of course I adjust a little according to how they look. In the winter I rub my hands up & down their back to check for weight loss.

We have no trouble keeping healthy happy horsies
default_wub.png
: cjmm
ebb1a491.jpg

eb3aab28.jpg

Here is the link to the Progressive Pro Advantage Alfalfa Formula balancer Progressive Pro Advantage Alfalfa Formula

Here is the link to the Progressive Pro Advantage Hi Fat Formula balancer

Progressive Pro Advantage Hi Fat Formula

If you need the exact ingredients from the label I can get that for you as well.

I use the cup that comes with the Progressive feeds for measuring mine. A Progressive cup holds 8 ounces of Balancer.

Progressive also has available on their website this Small Horse Growth Monitoring and Feeding Chart which is based on their Grass Balancer and Alfalfa Balancer. Really helpful in determining how much to feed miniature horses.

I'll get the info from the alfalfa pellets tomorrow.

CJMM - Could you measure a measuring cup full of Calf Manna for me? And if you would like an analysis of nutrients on your co-op feed, you should feel free to include in the information from the guaranteed analysis.

Thanks Becky. The 8 oz standard measuring cup will be put in the "Feed Rate" column. What percentage is that of a standard measuring cup? More or less???

Robin C

What percentage is that of a standard measuring cup? More or less???
Beats me!
default_wacko.png
: LOL! I'll take a measuring cup to the barn with me in the morning when I feed and I'll let you know.

:aktion033: I have been sweating over this feed stuff for a year now. It seems that everyone does it differently and based on where you live and what is available. I would love to try the LMF products but they don't come out our way.

We have Nutrena and Purina products locally here. I use a custom mix that I got from a trainer that is on the Missouri 4-H Extension website and it seems to work well for our babies and we feed free choice until the spring of their yearling year. I would love to if you could tell me anything useful about it.

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/aggu...nsci/g02807.htm

I use the weanling recipe and it has alot of nice information also. It weighs 5 ounces for a cup. I doubled checked this morning (Sunday).

The three that I am really interested in are Purina Products.

One is Senior Equine. I have Painted Sue (18 yrs young) and bred and another bred mare on it and they look wonderful. I am wondering about it for all the mares then they are ready for foaling.

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/Equine_Senior.asp . It weighs 5.5 ounces per cup.

We are using Purina Omelene 300 for the 3 foals that we will be showing this year: Phenomenen, Gotta Go and Desire. They look great but Gotta Go seems ALITTLE wired on it. So trying to determine if this is really the best product for them or if Purina Jr. would be better. It is 5 ounces per cup.

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/Omolene_300.asp

And the last one was Purina Race Ready. Unfortunately the sheet for it is unavailalbe and I don't have a bag here. But I really wanted to know about this one. My horses looked GREAT on it but I had a hard time getting it in on a regular basis. If anyone has a bag PLEASE post.

And the supplements that I thought were awesome this last year were Super 14 and Healthy Coat. It made a HUGE difference in coat and get up and go.

If I am missing something please let me know. I read alot on here but don't post alot. I am REALLY interested in this post however. THANKS a MILLION for doing this. AWWW Heck alittle WIRED HORSE can be alot of fun to get dragged by
default_smile.png
default_wink.png
: and that is why I am so interested in this. thanks again!! Now if we could get a major post going on conditioning I would be all set
default_smile.png
Easier said than done I know.
default_wacko.png
:

The Purina products are very popular, and readily available -- a big plus. I'm sure we'll be able to collect the information on most of these. Ingredients -- no -- because Purina is not a fixed formula feed, so they don't list individual ingredients. However, it doesn't surprise me that your young horses are a "little wired" on the Omolene 300....I don't have the exact starch/sugar figure for the 300, but the Omolene 100 is one of the highest on the market at 40.5% starch and sugar. Somebody give me a candy bar!!! If you want extra energy, there's no doubt the Omolene products will provide that, for sure! We'll get the nutrition information for you though, as it's not all about starch and sugar, and high starch and sugar isn't always bad!

Robin C

PS - Hope I didn't break my own rule here -- didn't mean this to sound judgemental, because it's not. There is certainly a place for high energy feeds!

Latest posts

Back