wormers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
Primex Equine Liquid Wormer

First Priority

Prescription strength Pyrantel Pamoate (50 mg per mL).

For the removal and control of mature large and small strongyles, pinworms, and large round worms in horses and ponies.

Dose at 6 mL per 100 lbs. of body weight orally or by mixing with feed.

Peppermint flavor.

Safe for all horses, including pregnant mares and foals.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this product?

I was thinking I might add it to the rotation here, but thought there may be someone with some more information as there have been some scary reviews with some wormers....Quest for instance.

vets local around here are big on checking a poo sample before worming. I got my guys checked and they were both negative. Good thing I checked, I was getting ready to do a worming. I was old school and did rotational worming, evidently this is old school for a reason. Educated and wiser by my vets advice. Just a thought.

Okay, I will do the sample first. I would still really like to know about the wormer mentioned above. I don't want a tragedy and they say that horses can get immune to wormers if you don't change them.

I use Pyrantel Pamoate suspension in my rotation; it's not that exact product, but has the same amount of PP in that product. And I give the same amount/100 lbs. PP is a safe dewormer, although I don't use it on pregnant mares (I've never seen anywhere where it says it's safe to use on them...so this is a first).

Just saw that it is safe for pregnant mares (maybe just the Exodus paste is not....I don't know). Anyhoo, this is what I use(I administer it directly by mouth, not on their feed):

http://www.allivet.com/p-114-pyrantel-pamoate-suspension.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I appreciate that. The value for the Primex was a bit better than Pyrantel Pamoate where I was shopping. I do appreciate the reply, thanks!

I still rotate... fecals don't show all. And I've done necropsies on horses who "might have missed a wormer or two" according to the vet. No thanks, not for my horses.

• You cannot test for Tapeworm except with a blood test.
  • You cannot test for encysted small strongyles- you know you have them when your horse drops dead!
  • So, call me "old school" I am OK with that so long as my horses are not colicking I am absolutely FINE with that!
  • I do not rotate as there is little proven point to doing so, but I do worm every eight weeks regardless of the results of the faecal test, with Ivermectin. I also use Fenbendazole spring and autumn and Praziquantel spring and autumn as well.
  • My worm counts come up OK, there is no such thing as a worm free horse, which is why I send my faecal samples to a Lab, which will give me a proper run down on exactly what the worm levels in my horses are, as opposed to asking my Vet to do it, which is always more expensive, and be told my horses have "no worms" which, as I said before, is not really possible, or even desirable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back