Submit your Feed Info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin - do you feed these? Can you get weight/cup on these Purina feeds?

Robin C

Yes, I feed them.

Each cup of the Purina Jr., Adult, Senior weighs 1/3 lb per cup.

I don't know how to go about weighing the Chaffhaye? I can cram it in a cup but it is going to weigh different depending on how much force I put on it.

Robin

I can cram it in a cup but it is going to weigh different depending on how much force I put on it.
Scoop loosely and shake to get it to settle. It won't weigh much at all. Don't cram it. Just need a ballpark figure as there is no way to get everyone to measure exactly the same, especially a forage product.

When you say 1/3rd of a pound, did you measure them to be just a little over 5 ounces each?

Robin C

When you say 1/3rd of a pound, did you measure them to be just a little over 5 ounces each?
No I have a 3 cup container, 24 oz. that when full weighs 1 lb.

Robin

Sorry for the extra post....I just keep remembering things I forgot to ad. I just remembered the mineral and trace blocks we have out in our stalls. Did you want the analysis of these as well or are we just talking bagged feed here?

Robin - would you measure each feed as a standard 1 cup measure for me, please?? I anticipate it will still measure out somewhere in the 5 - 5.5 oz range, but I'd like to see what you come up with.

And Tapestry, I don't need figures for any free choice salt or mineral blocks. There is no way to quantitate how much their intake is per day, and the trace minerals contained in the mineral blocks are at such low levels that they don't need to be factored into the diet (of course, if they're eating free choice salt and/or mineral blocks like candy, you've got another problem altogether!). Thanks for asking, though!

Robin C

According to Nutrena

Safe Choice has 1400 calories per pound,

Empower(supplment) has 2000 calories per pound,

Lite Balance has 1000 calories per pound

I believe the Vitality youth has 1265 per pound I cant read my own writing there

Purina feeds calorie amount per pound as told by Purina

Ultium -1800 per lb

Strategy - 1500

Complete Advantage-1400

Athlete (supplmement)-1900

Omelene 100 - 1535

200-1625

300-1535

Race Ready 1625

-----------------------------------------------------------

weights using a dry type measuring cup

1 cup empower = 1/2 lb

1 cup of safe choice=1/3 lb

1 cup of beet pulp pellets=1/2 lb

1 cup of alfalfa pellets (the small 1/4 in ones) = 1/3 lb

1 cup omolene 200= 1/4 lb

It did help me alot to change my horses diets when I was able to figure out (guesstimate) how many calories they were taking in each day

Last edited:
Thanks Lisa -- that's great information. I can usually calculate calories per pound if the feed web site gives me enough information to do so (Purina does), but any information you can add to the data will be helpful.

For those of you who are weighing cup fulls of feed, IF you can, give me the measurement in ounces rather than "1/4" pound "1/3" pound. I'm not trying to be ultra-scientific here, but it does help me eliminate one more step in my equations!

Robin C

Robin, I actually have kept a file on most of your information called "ROBIN C" How's that grab ya....? :aktion033:

I have read and re-read so much that is just seems to boggle my feeble mind. I hope when you do this, you can put it in english that even a weenie like me and comprehend

Mostly, I have had an on-going problem of understanding the ration balancers. It bothers me to feed it because it's not a feed and it makes me feel bad when I fed Born to Win......I thought I was starving everyone. So I added oats and then everyone gained a hundred pounds.

I need somehow to adjust my thinking to what a ration balancer really is, and what it's worth and place is.

I really wish you could just pick a feed for all of us and say "feed this, and this is how much".......wow, what a concept! :new_shocked:

Karla! You are sooo right!! I went out with an actual cup measurement and weighed the feed again and got exactly what you did. My measuring scooper says it's a cup but when I put one cup of feed in it, it actually was a 2 1/5 cup scooper! Since I feed by weight, I guess I wasn't too worried about if it was exactly a cup or not
default_wacko.png
: Sorry for the confusion!!

Robin, I actually have kept a file on most of your information called "ROBIN C" How's that grab ya....? :aktion033:

:new_shocked: :bgrin Marty that is EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST!!! :lol: :lol: she even has HER OWN FOLDER IN MY PC!! :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

I also wish that it would be as easy as just take this and feed so much ...ect... I think I had an easier time back in my Dog Showing days figuring out what dog food was best and how much to feed what type of dog!! :lol:

Even my big horses were easier to manage in feeding....
default_wacko.png
: If they got to "high" you just dropped them back on the Omolene...
default_yes.gif
: But these little ones and feeding is so complicated...sigh....
default_unsure.png
:

Jeri

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I see it's been reweighed and agreed upon, but my 2 cents worth...I also got 5 oz for a cup of the Platform Mini feed. 4 oz for a cup of crimped oats and 5.5 oz for a cup of Ultium. I think you already have all the tag info on my feeds.

Jan

Robin, I will get those weights for you today. I am waiting for..... someone, to come sign a bill of sale and take their horse trailer.

I feed by wieght also and not cups so will have to find a scale that breaks things down a bit more.

I really wish you could just pick a feed for all of us and say "feed this, and this is how much".......wow, what a concept
OOOOO I like that idea!!!!

Robin

I'd like to contribute. I don't have access to a weight scale but I feed in level cup fulls. This will be for Legends 12, textured (6% fat) horse feed.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude protein..12.00%

Lysine ....... .60%

Crude fat.... 6.00%

Crude Fiber.... 8.00%

Calcium.... 1.25 %

Phosphorus ... .55%

Copper.... 50 ppm

Selenium....... 0.60 ppm

Zinc.... 130 ppm

Biotin.... 30 mg/lb

Vitamin A.... 6,000 IU/lb

Vitamin E.... 89 IU/lb

Ingredients

Whole oats, cracked corn Corn meal, Barley, Dehulled soybean meal, Extracted soybean meal, Distillers dried grains, wheat middlings, alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, cane molasses, ground limestone, etc.....

Goodness and now that I read the rest of the label, it's hard to make out the feeding instructions quoted for big horses! :new_shocked: Seems like some of the print is doubled on top of the other....
default_wacko.png
:

Is this the info you needed...or do you need more from me?

ACCO

Safe & Sound...(Chanda)... oz/cup= ; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Envision

Classic...(Chanda): ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Lo Carb...(Chanda): ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Nutrena

Youth...(Chanda) ? oz/cup; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Progressive

Grass Balancer (Chanda) ? oz/cup; NSC = ; calories/oz=

Woodys

Senior...(Chanda): oz/cup = ; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Sweet 12...(Chanda): oz/cup= ; NSC= ; calories/oz=

Robin C
Robin,

I've e-mailed you the nutritional analysis. As I am no longer feeding some of these feeds, I can not get a weight for a cupful, but here are the weights I do know and another feed.

PN Lo-Carb - 1 cup = 4.9 oz

PN grass formula - 1 cup = 5.4 oz

Woody's Senior - 1 cup = 5.3 oz

Standlee Hay Company - orchardgrass hay pellets - Protein 8%, Fat 1.5%, fiber 32%, NSC 7.1%

Standlee Hay Company - timothy hay pellets - Protein 9%, fat 1.8%, fiber 35%, NSC 9.7%

1 cup of either weighs - 1 cup = 5.7 oz

[this is the only nutritional info on these pellets - I had to special order and ship them in, so don't think I'll get them again, but they are an exceptional product if you can get them - the company is out of ID.]

Edited to add: I used a digital postal scale that I have for my eBay business.

I lived 30 minutes from the Standlee Hay Company when we lived in Idaho. All we ever fed up there was their baled Timothy and Alfalfa hay and never had to supplement. All were in great condition and health. Wish we were still up there. Their website doesn't have much of a breakdown for analysis but very good quality feed.

Here is their website Standlee Hay Company

Oh I know this one 1 cup of Standlee pellets the alfalfa or the timothy and even the mix =1/3 lb I used to feed that and really liked the consistency of there pellets I switched to lite balance which I like as well

Ok Robin I went out and bought a diet scale, here are the results.

Chaffhaye 1 cup = 1.5 oz

Purina Equine Jr. Adult, & Senior: 1 cup = 5 oz plus a touch. Yes, I weighed them seperately, all came out the same.

Robin

Latest posts

Back