question about a man at the High Hopes Auction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
Okay, call me nosey, it's true but does anybody know who the man in the yellow plaid shirt that was buying all the low priced horses is? What is he doing with all of these animals? He buys several at every auction I have ever been to and he never pays more than $500 for one. He doesn't seem to care if they have defects or not and just seems to care about if he can get them cheap or not.

I know, none of my business but dang, he bought nearly all of the last horses to go through. I saw him after the sale and he was pulling a really long stock trailer. Like a dummy I didn't think to see where he was from but he had a front tag as well as a rear one and it was not Texas.

Mary

I don't know what the guys name was and it may not be the same guy, but when I was at a sale in MO, there was a guy who was buying up a lot of the cheap stuff and he had a BIG trailer. He was from somewhere in or near Mexico (no not Mexico MO. !) My husband asked him what he did with that many horses, and he said he takes them across the border and they sell like crazy. My husband who doesn't even like horses was afraid to ask anymore than that. He probably didn't want me to hear just what the guy was planning for fear that I might try and buy the whole truckload
unsure.gif
I am seriously thinking of going to the sale again at Christmas time and buying up a couple cheaper ones and having my son work with them and see if we can get them homes where we can keep up on how they are cared for. It might only be one or two, but at least it is a couple we can try to do good by.

I've been told the same thing Mary, that he's from Mexico, buys a trailer full of the cheapest and resells over the border. someone said the rich buy them for pets, but I kind of wonder......sure would be a lot of pets. and some not very nice ones.

unsure.gif

Charlotte

I started watching him this time and he bid on every single horse that was started at under $200. I would be willing to bet that he ended up with a trailer load. I noticed that he would look to see who was bidding against him and if he thought they weren't going to stop, he would stop after he ran the bid up.

He bought several of the Foxfire foals. Poor babies.

I've seen him at several auctions and he always buys the ones that go cheap. He doesn't seem to care about age or condition or anything except price. I did notice that if they are black and white pintos, he will bid them a little higher.

Makes you wish you had enough money and room to buy all of them he bids on just to keep him from getting them.

Kind of like the guy that had my Shady Lady.

Mary

Good Morning,

He was probably the same guy (or guys..3 of them) that came to the North Texas Pony Sale on October 8th. He bought mostly black and white pinto miniatures and Shetlands. Was told that they were going to New Caney Texas to be broke to ride and drive (those that were old enough) and then shipped onto Mexico where he sells them for $1500.

We had someone there at the sale that spoke spanish and she visited with them for a bit. She was satisfied with what they were going to do with them.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

Good Morning,

He was probably the same guy (or guys..3 of them) that came to the North Texas Pony Sale on October 8th. He bought mostly black and white pinto miniatures and Shetlands. Was told that they were going to New Caney Texas to be broke to ride and drive (those that were old enough) and then shipped onto Mexico where he sells them for $1500.

We had someone there at the sale that spoke spanish and she visited with them for a bit. She was satisfied with what they were going to do with them.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

I've been told that he takes them to Mexico and sells them for pets. I don't think they're being bought for a meat market as most wouldn't weigh enough! This story has been told by several, so hopefully it's true!

Mexico was my guess. I did see him helping the tack seller carry out her stuff. (He carried a big plastic trunk out) But maybe it was stuff he bought?

Viki said a guy with a big trailer with about 10 horses bought her little colt. I bet it was the same man?

Isn't that a switch? Mexico importing from the U.S.

If this is indeed the case, lower quality minis being exported, it could help (to a very minor extent) the over population of lower quality minis in the U.S.

Yes, Robin, he got my colt. Jane's too. I didnt know WHO got my colt till they took him out to load him! I was just sick!
wacko.gif

I've been told by several, they are resold, not eaten! Thank goodness!!!!!!!

Viki

PS Franklin, my colt wasnt/isnt low quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg to differ. In my Opinion, in the case of Viki's colt, he was NOT low quality! I have seen plenty of photos of him and he was nice in them, but when I saw him in person at the sale, Wow!

I saw a very nice colt (VERY NICE) that the bid only went to $250.

The prices are not reflective of the quality in all cases. Yes, there were some of lesser quality, but I was there and I saw with my own eyes that someone should not lump all with low bids as lesser quality.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offense or refer to anyone's individual horse. I have no idea whose horse was what. Just a general statement that generally a very good quality horse will bring more than a low quality one. I know that a number of factors can cause low prices. At an auction you must have at least two people interested in an item in order for it to bring a good price.

Supply and demand remain a major factor in economics. If the supply is reduced, it should eventually cause the prices to go up. Of course, I realize that one buyer, one truckload, or one sale is not going to make a major difference in the overall picture, but the principle is there.

Latest posts

Back