Pregnant maiden mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attwoode

Reaction score
I have a 4yr old mare that was exposed to my stallion for 2 months this summer. She hated him. She'd kick at him and and run when she otherwise appeared to be in estrus. She never let him near her as far as I could tell. The stallion was an amazing gentleman. I suspect he finally wore her out in July because she stopped showing signs of estrus after then.

Well now, it's 6 months later and for the last 3 weeks she's been freaking out. She'll be eating quietly and then all of a sudden she'll bolt off across the paddock, bucking and rearing, head tossing, rolling frantically, and then go back to eating quietly. I've done my best to see if there is anything else going on, but she ssems normal otherwise. This happens randomly but I've seen her do this for a couple minutes each of the last 3 days.

Do any other mares act this crazy when they feel the foal moving?

Interesting. I haven't noticed that with any of the maidens here over the years. I have seen the maidens really become more laid back and relaxed once in foal.

I'll be interested to hear what others say
default_saludando.gif

we usually have at least one preg maiden mare a year but l can't say l've ever had them act like you discribed...l have seen them look around with a weird look on there face at one or the other side of there belly when l suppose the foal is acting up and they can't relate to whats going on in there..
default_biggrin.png

Does she only do it during eating or drinking?

I have not had one act quite that bad. But I have had a few act funny during eating.

Does she only do it during eating or drinking?

I have not had one act quite that bad. But I have had a few act funny during eating.
I've seen it a few times over the last three weeks. No particular time. It's like a 20 second colic episode and then normal. Last night she did it before I fed and again quickly while eating and then I watched her for quite a while and she just acted completely normal after that. She didn't do it tonight. She just trotted around because she's hungry and it is cold.

I have never had one act that way, but the only thing that MAY be happening is that the foal is moving and she thinks there is something not right happening. The rolling is to try and stop it (which actually might be successful).

I have seen them act a bit confused...but not to that extent. Were I you...I would keep a very close eye on her when she foals. Seems like a bit of a "prima-donna", and I would worry that she will panic and hurt the foal during or shortly after birth.

As for running from the stallion...I do hand breed maidens...don't like to have them frightened or bothered unnecessarily by a stallion...you were so lucky that your stallion didn't just keep chasing her down till she was exhausted, and breed her anyways.

Do not want to panic you, but rolling is not good, could be something going on, sometimes this type of rolling could be a chance of aborting.

Sure hope she stops..

Last edited by a moderator:
just thought I'd throw this out there... even though it's not a bred maiden mare lol but my Arabian colt does that!

He'll be eating and run off and act foolish (almost like a colic episode) then quietly go back to eating as if nothing happened. He will do it in his stall as well, rearing and freeking out like something horrible happened.. then he goes back to eating quietly. I can't find any reason for why he does this.. he is completely healthy and has no health issues.

Also when I got him as a yearling , he was always sort of aggressive with his feed.. biting at it and "attacking" it as well.. not sure if they are related or not.

I hope your little mare is fine and it's just something strange she is doing!

We have found that excessive rolling can mean something is positioned wrong inside with the foal... but it's usually closer to the due date- not at six months.

As for her actions with the stallion, some mares are just goofballs when it comes to being bred. My friends had a mare they pasture bred and couldnt get her in foal. They discovered she was spinning in circles when the stallion would go to breed her and apparently couldnt get her covered. They hand bred her the next year, and voila... a foal.

Maiden mares can get nervous etc... when being bred the first time, but sounds like your stallion was a good boy and was persistant and she settled when she was ready.

Latest posts

Back