Pre foaling vaccinations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charli

Reaction score
Hello-I am new to the miniature breeding group. We have owned some minis for 6 years now but we are going through the 'expecting' stage right now. We have been watching our mare for 3 weeks now due to the fact that we are not sure when she was bred. My question is am I supposed to give her another round of the Prestige V since it will be over 45 days (when she delivers) since her last injection? She received her first injection on Dec. 30 2010 and it was boostered on Jan. 30, 2011. I have read that it is very important that she have this within 45 days of foaling and am not sure if it should be repeated.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

This vaccination should be given during pregnancy at 5, 7 and 9 months. What did your vet say? did you scan your mare to see at what stage of pregnancy she is? The timing is fundamental with this vaccination or it will not work.

Edit to add

i miss understood the type of vacc. Some names are different here in Europe. but I see that Dr Taylor has kindly answered so just ignore the stupid Italian women
xreiter.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For "pre-foaling", we do a 4-way shot (flu and ewt) about 30 days prior to when we expect the foal... which of course means our best guess
default_smile.png

Prestige V is a 5-way vaccine for Tetanus/EEE/WEE/Flu/Rhino, If she's had it 2 months before foaling you should be fine. I would check with your vet for their advice, I don't think you should need to booster again unless it's a lot longer before she foals.

Optimal is 3-6 weeks prior to foaling. You may want to consider adding a West Nile.

In situations like mine where mares pasture 365 and catching individuals is a challenge, I recommend that we vaccinate 3 weeks prior to the first foal and we vaccinate all of the mares at once. Some will be >6 weeks from the vaccine, but it has worked for me in the past.

I doubt you'll have a problem.

Dr Taylor

We really like the Intervet vaccines and have never had problems with site reactions with them.

We give Prestige V 4-6 weeks before foaling. We like to give it at about 300 days gestation as that will cover her if she goes over. If the mare starts to show sign early or has a history of foaling later, I might change this protocol.

You are in a tough situation as the mare you have was likely pasture bred and never ultrasounded early to confirm when she got bred. In your case you may want to wait until you see signs that she is starting to get closer to foaling and then check when her vaccination was and go from there. We had a mare with unknown dates last year and ended up giving her a booster when she went MUCH further than the previous owner thought she would foal.

I hope this helps you.

Optimal is 3-6 weeks prior to foaling. You may want to consider adding a West Nile.

In situations like mine where mares pasture 365 and catching individuals is a challenge, I recommend that we vaccinate 3 weeks prior to the first foal and we vaccinate all of the mares at once. Some will be >6 weeks from the vaccine, but it has worked for me in the past.

I doubt you'll have a problem.

Dr Taylor

Good to know,
default_aktion033.gif
Dr. Thats exactly what I do also....per my vet in KS.

We really like the Intervet vaccines and have never had problems with site reactions with them.

We give Prestige V 4-6 weeks before foaling. We like to give it at about 300 days gestation as that will cover her if she goes over. If the mare starts to show sign early or has a history of foaling later, I might change this protocol.

You are in a tough situation as the mare you have was likely pasture bred and never ultrasounded early to confirm when she got bred. In your case you may want to wait until you see signs that she is starting to get closer to foaling and then check when her vaccination was and go from there. We had a mare with unknown dates last year and ended up giving her a booster when she went MUCH further than the previous owner thought she would foal.

I hope this helps you.

Latest posts

Back