Pony Daycare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rompnrun

Reaction score
As the owner of a doggie daycare, I see the advantages of dog to dog socialization daily. It is particularly beneficial for puppies. So I think my seven month old mini horse needs to go to pony daycare.
default_smile.png
He is trying very hard to get my GSD's to play with him, but I don't think he knows his own strength. He rears, paws, and nips at them--clearly in a playful manner, but they are becoming increasingly leery of him. Gatsby is a house pony and they all sleep in our bedroom at night (yes, I know that makes me sound a *little* crazy) so I want to be sure we keep the peace among the pack.

Would it be beneficial to take him back to the breeder for some pony socialization? Will the other weanlings accept him and be nice to him? Will he want to come home after a week and will that transition be difficult? He was so heartbroken when I took him away from the farm and everything he had ever known, I don't want to put him through that stress again. I know you guys are going to say just add another mini to our family, but I think two house ponies would be a bit much. ;)

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jessica & Gatsby

Taking him back and forth would stress him too much. You need to get him a companion of his own species and age.

Please tell me I read that wrong- he sleeps in your BEDROOM?

Unlike dogs, horses do not do well when their environment is constantly changing. Your horse is needs companionship with an animal who can thinks like him. While certain individual dog can have a good relationship with a horse, it's not usually the case. Each animal has different needs, a different way of thinking, of behaving, etc.

I have borrowed a foal once to help with weaning one of my own. In exchange of this, I traded free shots/worming/farrier trims till mine was totally weaned and reintroduced back to the herd as a 7 month old. For the other owner, she recieved a well trained bomb proof healthy colt back ready to be sold.

Yes, Gatsby sleeps in our bedroom. It was not my intent when we got him, but he is my first horse and I never imagined he would be so stressed about leaving his family. I brought him into the house the first night and he stood in front of the mirror talking to his reflection. I just couldn't put him outside alone after that. We bought a 10 x 12 child's playhouse to be his "barn" but he has yet to use it. He is fairly well potty trained at this point, so it's not as messy as it sounds.

Thank you wingnut, for pointing out that horses don't do as well with change. That is somewhat surprising to me knowing how often some horses change owners in a lifetime. When you all add a new horse to your herd, how long is the typical adjustment period? Does the new horse spend time alone at first and then gradually get introduced to the existing group?

I think it helps to remember that while horses have been domesticated for a long time, they are, by nature, prey animals. And as prey animals, they are constantly alert to potential dangers. Horses are able to relax better in familiar places that they have decided are safe. They also usually relax better when they have a herd, because together the herd can be on the lookout for danger. One can sleep while the others stand guard. Gatsby's situation appears to be very unusual. Since he doesn't have a herd, he has you and maybe your dogs, and I'm sure he does feel safer being with you than being alone. Because he is so young, he is probably doing his best to figure out how to relate to you and the dogs and feel safe.

Please understand that I am not saying this to be judgmental. Reading what you have written, I am concerned that the situation you have described is not going to be good for Gatsby's well being. Even though he is a miniature horse, he is still a horse. And even though you clearly love him dearly, sleeping in your bedroom and being a house pony isn't what is healthy for him, and is almost certainly going to lead to problems down the road. Rather than pony daycare, I would suggest building a sturdy, horse-safe run-in shed (a child's house is probably not constructed well enough) in a fenced in area where he can live outside and either getting him another mini or at least a goat. Or, if you are able, consider boarding him with other horses.

I agree with Max's Mom that keeping him outside with a shed/barn built for a horse will be far better for his wellbeing. A lot of people make the mistake in thinking that since miniature horses are the size of a large dog they can be kept like a dog, but they are VERY different from dogs and they need to live life as a horse. I can't say much as to him being alone, as my horse Breaker is also an only horse and he hasn't shown any sign of loneliness. Please try to transition him to live outside as he most likely can not live inside your home forever, and although it may seem more comfortable for him to live inside, horses are meant to be outdoors.

I'm not trying trying to criticize you, and I can tell you love him very much. This is just my honest opinion.
default_smile.png

ETA: Sorry, I forgot to comment on the Pony Daycare, which was the whole purpose of this thread.
default_smile.png
I think that bringing him back and forth could be quite stressful for him, and he might just be more sad when you take him away from his friends again. I don't have much knowledge on very young horses though, so I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having recently acquired a new weanling colt at 4 month who wasn't particularly handleable from a farm, yes he was upset about leaving his friends. He had nose access to the mares and was adjusting ok but when we brought him an older gelding to be his live in friend he was so much happier. Now friendly as can be but also learning quicker what is and isn't acceptable. Also has someone to run around with. Companion is definantly good. They learn to mutually groom and act like a horse. Removing back and forth can cause great stress. Ive lost one who ran himself to colic and died when friend was taken out.

Some horses do fine as an only horse; others do not take well to being alone. From the sounds of it your guy really needs a friend of his own kind. I would point out that if you were to get a companion for him you would not need to have two house ponies--you would have two ponies who live outside as horses normally do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I agree with the earlier posts, he is a horse and so should be kept as a horse. Please understand that no one is judging you negatively we are just offering out honest opinions on what we believe is best for your little one. It is clear you love him very much but in my opinion you are doing him a disservice by keeping him as you are. He is young and desperately needs another horse (preferably an adult) to help him learn horsey manners. Being kept alone can stunt his social development and if he is ever introduced to other horses he will not know how to speak their language and will not be able to integrate into a herd. It is different when a horse is grown, some can then learn to adjust to life as a one and only but they already have the skills they need to live in a herd if they have the opportunity. You could be sentencing your little guy to a life of isolation made necessary by his not being happy or safe in a herd in the future. Please consider getting him a companion to live with out of doors or boarding him where he can have horse friends.

I have to say that I agree with the earlier posts, he is a horse and so should be kept as a horse. Please understand that no one is judging you negatively we are just offering out honest opinions on what we believe is best for your little one. It is clear you love him very much but in my opinion you are doing him a disservice by keeping him as you are. He is young and desperately needs another horse (preferably an adult) to help him learn horsey manners. Being kept alone can stunt his social development and if he is ever introduced to other horses he will not know how to speak their language and will not be able to integrate into a herd. It is different when a horse is grown, some can then learn to adjust to life as a one and only but they already have the skills they need to live in a herd if they have the opportunity. You could be sentencing your little guy to a life of isolation made necessary by his not being happy or safe in a herd in the future. Please consider getting him a companion to live with out of doors or boarding him where he can have horse friends.

What she said^^^.

We had a mare in a few years ago to be bred. She was five or so, the lady had gotten her as a weanling and was an "only child". This mare wasn't a horse anymore. She didn't know how to act like one, she wasn't social, she was very hard to handle. We never did get her bred, she didn't know what her body was telling her even though the stallion knew. He couldn't even get near her without her freaking out and trying to kill him. We would have loved to turn her out with our mares, but was afraid someone would get hurt. We sent her home after five weeks, unbred.

Please, put him outside and get him a buddy. Right now at 7 months he's small and cute and easily managed, but once he grows, it won't be that way anymore.

OKAY! So I am curious!

When pooping/peeing in the house, dose he wear a pad/diaper? Or litter trained or scratchs at the door? LOL!

Mine pooped on floor while looking at me when I brought her in from a cold day just to warm up and get the chill of her and I swear while she was, she smiled! LOL
default_smile.png

I have a 6 month old weanling filly. I brought her home at the end of October. I have 4 other mares, ages 4, 4, 5 and 15. The 15 yr old is the boss mare. I kept them separated from the filly by use of gates for the intial 5 or so days. They could see each other and smell each other and even touch noses, but the filly was safe from the rest. After 5 or so days, I put her in the barnyard are with one of the 4 yr old mares who is the "low man" in the herd. I observed them for a while before I felt comfortable that I could leave them, just to be sure. They bonded immediately. A few days later, I added the other 4 yr old into the group. And a few days after that, I put all 5 horses together. The filly is very responsive to the other horses in that she recognizes their authority over her in the herd and moves away when "told" she should. That means the rest back off. Probably the most interesting thing I've noted is that the boss mare has taken to reminding the entire herd that she's the boss and the 5 yr old, (#2) seems to be getting the brunt of her reminders.

Thanks to everyone who replied. No worries, I am here to learn and I have thick skin. Aside from a few equine classes in college, I am "Nancy Novice" when it come to horses and I really appreciate having this forum as a resource.

So what I am hearing is Gatsby does indeed need to learn how to speak horse, but from an adult that I add to our family rather than taking him somewhere short term. I get that--we get dogs in all the time that have forgotten they are a dog. They are never made to listen and act like they don't have to. We don't put up with spoiled dogs so I most certainly don't want to be the mom of a rotten pony!

We will start introducing Gatsby to the playhouse and figure out a way to divide the inside area for two horses. Max's Mom, I have attached a photo of the playhouse. Not sure if this is what you were thinking, but if you still think this isn't sturdy enough let me know. We tiled the floor, insulated the walls and covered them with FRP to make cleaning easy. We'll run electric to it this Spring so that fans can be installed for the Texas summer.

Mindy Lee, the potty training was actually easy. His first few accidents were on throw rugs so I taped potty pads to the floor and he went on those reliably. After a few weeks he was on a good schedule and could wait until the next time he was let out. He isn't as predictable with his poop piles, but we have tile floors so it just sweeps right up. I do have to be more diligent when he eats alfalfa, it must have a higher sodium content than coastal hay because he urinates twice as much.

Thanks again everyone,

Jessica & Gatsby

Playhouse.jpgGatsby.jpg

Remember that his "buddy" need not be a miniature horse. I've seen mini horses whose best friend was a goat, even a chicken or a kitten. But they are most definitely herd animals and do much better when they have a friend. When I got my first mini, he was alone for about a month while we waited for his brother-to-be to be fully weaned. He was very lonely. Once #2 came home, they bonded immediately and are still that way today - many years later. I've got four mini horses and one mini donkey now but the first two are much closer than any of the other ones. Their bond is really something.

I suspect that your little guy would bond with whoever you get for him, especially if he's lonely.

I have to disagree with dixiebelle. While an adult horse may be fine with a goat or other animal friend, and your little guy would bond to almost anything (including you or your dogs) babies need others of their own kind to learn the ropes IMO.

I'm happy to hear you have taken our input as it was intended and not as a personal attack at all
default_smile.png
Can I offer some input on that cute little house you have for him? You say you have tiled the floor for ease of cleaning but I am wondering if that will make it too slippery for him. Most people have rubber matting (available from a variety of sources but most commonly from feed stores -in this area at least) down in stalls that is easy to clean and also comfortable to the horse to stand/lay on.

Just want to add:

What a handsome shepherd in your avatar!

I agree with Reignmaker that tile would be very slippery and hard for him unless you bed it VERY deeply. Rubber mats are wonderful and so easy to install and clean. I have a question about his winter coat. If he has been inside, has that caused his coat not to grow effectively? You may need to blanket him in the beginning when you transition him to live outside, if he does not have enough fur. I'm not sure if being inside affects their coat, but I'm just wondering.

Another reason why horses need to be outside, youngsters in particular, is that they need the room and space to race and chase about at will. Restricting this important factor can lead to weak (not properly used from an early age) ligaments and muscles not to mention heart and lungs! And another youngster of comparable age will add to his fun and enjoyment of life. Adding an older horse later on to teach the two youngsters some horsey manners is the best idea in my opinion.
default_yes.gif

As you say that you are a 'novice' owner, have you spoken to a vet about immunisation and a worming programme for your little boy. By the way, in spite of what some vets will say, it is not advisable to use Quest wormer with mini horses, plus if pain relief should be needed for any reason, avoid bute and aim for banamine instead. But anything you want to know or are bothered about, just ask here as there are many friendly folks who will be glad to help.

He looks to be a very sweet little fella and I love the picture of your GS dog - just beautiful!

We will start introducing Gatsby to the playhouse and figure out a way to divide the inside area for two horses. Max's Mom, I have attached a photo of the playhouse. Not sure if this is what you were thinking, but if you still think this isn't sturdy enough let me know. We tiled the floor, insulated the walls and covered them with FRP to make cleaning easy. We'll run electric to it this Spring so that fans can be installed for the Texas summer.
The house is very cute! The railing is adorable but I think it might be safer without it if it isn't super sturdy or if he could catch a leg through an opening and get it stuck. It is hard to tell from the photo exactly how far apart the slats are. As far as the walls, what would happen if a horse kicked hard at it? Would he be able to get a hoof through a wall (from the inside wall, that is)? All the barns that I have seen use wood and not plastic (that's FRP, right?), so I'm not sure how that would work for a horse. As long as it won't shatter or crack I assume it is okay, but think carefully about it because if a hind leg went through that material and got caught into jagged plastic, it could do some serious damage.

Not having lived through Texas summers, I don't know how much he'd need to be inside to stay cool. It looks like you have some nice shady trees, which he could use as well. Some people think that they are doing their horses a kindness by keeping them inside nice, cozy stalls, but most horses are happiest when outside as much as they can be. I'd encourage you not to think of him "living" in the house/barn, but living outside with the barn for shelter or when you need to keep him confined.

We went the adult route when we got our 2nd horse. Our first girl was 10 months old. We found a lovely 11 year old mare to be her companion. Honestly, for us? That was a mistake. While I love her, she has never bonded with any of us. Where as the now 5 year old (and the 2 that followed) are *very* bonded to us. We thought we couldn't handle another youngster. Maybe we're just the "odd" duck in our experience here.

And like you we had never owned any stripe of equine before April 2009. Since then, we've learned *so* much. I don't mean to boast, but we've done a really good job with our girls considering our experience (or lack there of). I've spent hours upon hours reading through things all over the web (especially here). I've made some great connections with other horse people and horse professionals. You can see in me avatar one of my proudest accomplishments thus far: my 4 yr old show horse with her Supreme (meaning she was considered the best horse on the show grounds that day in the halter classes according to the judge) and Grand (meaning she was the best mare on the show grounds that day according to the judge) ribbons. We did that twice this past summer under 2 different judges.

I personally don't feel that building is a good solution. You don't need a full blown multi-stall barn, but something built to serve the needs of a horse specifically or even a goat would be a better option.

Thanks for understanding we like new comers and we really want to help!!! And our hearts want to do what's best for the animals involved. We look forward to seeing your little grow as well as you "grow" in your knowledge and experiences with him!

Latest posts

Back