Poisonous snake in our kitchen!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
We had just finished eating dinner when my mom went into our living room, which is right by our kitchen, to turn on the light. She saw something on the ground and thought about picking it up. She is legally blind so at first she didn't realize what it was. A 3 foot long cottonmouth! Thankfully she realized what it was and yelled for my dad who chopped its head off in our kitchen with a hoe. Ugh! How did that snake get in our house in the first place? What if we had all the lights turned out and walked in that room barefoot at night to let the dog outside? It was really horrible. First we have all those black widow spiders around the yard. Now snakes? Thats kind of like a nightmare.

Yes, the joys of living in Texas.
default_wacko.png

They can come in through cracks, holes, duct work, airconditioners.

Don't you feel just really secure now ?
default_ohnoes.jpg

If it's a brick home, smaller ones come in the weep holes ( just put steel wool in your weep holes on the brick)

I've lived with the black widows all my life without a problem. They'll avoid you, just don't be sticking your hand in dark places.

I don't like snakes.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

You need a pot belly pig!!! Perfect pet to keep the snakes away!!!
default_wink.png

Ugh, I would hate that, knowing that there could be a poisonous snake in my house any time, any place. My mom freaks out over non-poisonous snakes outside--a cottonmouth in the house would be more than she could handle. Me too, for that matter.

How does a potbellied pig keep the snakes away? snakes just have an aversion to them, or they chase/trample the snakes, or??? Do they not get bitten? Sorry if I sound dumb, but we don't have poisonous snakes here & so I've never heard anyone say anything about their potbellied pigs keeping snakes away
default_laugh.png

I am not sure about pot belly pig. But I know regular pigs are not hurt by snakes, it is something about not having a gall bladder or one those organs. I Know my uncle in California bought a old hog farm in The Seirra's mountains and did not see one rattlesnake for 20 or more years after the hogs were gone. Hogs hate all snakes.

I would absolutely die, I would just pray for death right on the spot if that snake was in my house or those spiders!! That's why I live in totally freezing Wisconsin! We don't have those things in the summer either.

THAT is absolutely my worst nightmare!! I'd be both terrified and paranoid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure why the snakes disappear when pigs are around. We just moved to TN 8 months ago, and we have 41 acres that no one was living on for a couple of years so the snakes were all over. Bandit, our pot belly has chased away all the snakes and he even goes all the way to the back of the property to the springs and roots, since he started going back there the snakes have moved away also. My husband said we need to get more pigs!!
default_laugh.png
I think since Bandit has done such a good job we are set!! But we also have not had a snake in the house, that would call for 10 pigs in the house!!!
default_yes.gif
default_laugh.png

But we also have not had a snake in the house, that would call for 10 pigs in the house!!!
LOL, don't know which would be worse!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Never had a poisonous snake in the house, but we had a small grass snake come in through the tub drain once, right after my mom had visited. She is snake phobic and would have absolutely had a heart attack if he'd come up while she was showering
default_smile.png
The mower had knocked the cap off something to do with the septic system outside, and allowed him entry. Got that puppy covered back up in a hurry!

Jan

Just be glad you didn't live where my sister-in-law lived for the past 20 years. She was a missionary who lived and taught at a school in South Africa right outside of Krueger National park. She came home twice to a spitting cobra in her living room and once a black mamba under her kitchen sink. She wanted us to go visit her but no thanks not with those snakes. Plus they had baboons all over the place. Linda

The snake bites do not penatrate the hog skin & they love to eat snakes. If you have an old bowling ball, it is one of the favorite toys for hogs.

Hogs clear the place of snakes rather fast; just a matter of days. Let's see, you can advertise "Snake fattened" rather than "Corn Fed" at market time.
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

I live in TN and we have have found intact snake skins in our basement on two different occasions. There are cracks and holes everywhere, so I wasn't surprised, but I do not go down there at night and watch what I pick up. We think they are harmless black snakes by the scale pattern, but it is very unnerving to find in your own home. We traced one back to the hole one day when we found a skin under our deck stairs, talk about watching where you step, when you have to go that way. When we found the hole about a foot away, a black snake was coming out of the hole and had began eating a striped garden snake. Neither was moving, as we thought one bit the other while the smaller one was constricting the bigger one. When we got the axe out, the both came loose and went into the hole. We stuffed water, poison, and then reburied the hole, so hopefully they both died.

Well, after further examination we discovered that the snake was a harmless King snake. It had the same pattern as a cottonmouth on its back. Still its rather unnerving to find a 37in, (we measured him after he was dead) snake in your kitchen!

Latest posts

Back