pneumonia and colic in mare - advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester Farms

Reaction score
Monday evening I came home after being gone all day and noticed my mare would not eat her feed. She was yawning, kicking her stomach, standing stretched out and just wanted to lay down but she wasn't rolling and had loud stomach sounds. I gave her some mineral oil and called the vet. Vet tubed her with Epsom salts, said she had no stomach sounds and gave me some banamine. Next day my mare still didn't poop. Called the vet out stan who said she know has pneumonia and gad a 102 temperature. She said her gut sounds gad improved tho. She gave me antibiotics for 7 days. My question is is that she only seems to be pooping about once in a little over a day. She pooped last night but nothing all day today. She's still yawning but I think it may be the pneumonia. I gave her the third antibiotics shot earlier. She seems bright and alert but the lack of poop and yawning still worries me. What do you think? Thank you in advance!

I am NOT a vet so your vet is your best source of help. Is the mare eating??? If she isn't, then that would explain the lack of poop but you need to get something into her - grass, molasses, Karo syrup, whatever she will eat. Horses can do downhill fast if they don't eat for a couple of days. But if she IS eating then the lack of poop is worrisome. So either way I would be concerned. Also, whenever I give antibiotics to a mini I also treat for ulcers because the antibiotics can be hard on the stomach. How was the pneumonia diagnosed other than by the high temp? Lung sounds?? Good luck.

Shell slowly eat her grain. Like shell eat a bit and come back 5-10 min later and take another bite. She's been eatting grass all day today and yesterday so I'm surprised no poop. What do u give for the ulcers? The vet never mentioned that. She said she heard gurgling in the lungs. But when she tubed her the first day, she pulled the tube out and a big wad of mucus was on the end of the tube. She didn't say anything about the mucus until day two. She's not coughing or sneezing a lot. Her nose was runny yesterday but it seems better today.

Grass is the best thing IMO, so that is good to hear. If she doesn't want her grain, that in itself can be a sign of ulcers. If it were me, i would stop or decrease the grain, but remember I am not a vet and I haven't seen her. What I give for ulcers is Gastroguard or Ulcerguard which are the same (omeprozole) but just packed differently so one needs a presription and the other doesn't. I have also used Tums, Mylanta or other human treatment. Anything with calcium (like Tums) is good, such as alfalfa hay. I have fed soaked alfalfa cubes instead of grain when I suspect ulcers. Much easier on the stomach and most horses like them.

I agree with Target.......pull or majorly decrease the grain. Grass is good....It's important that she keeps eating. Yawning is a sign of discomfort. I would ask your vet if you could give her some banamine and also have her on something to guard against ulcers.

Back