Hindgut Acidosis and Ulcers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianaM

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I acquired two mini horses almost 4 years ago. A plump, friendly little gelding and a slightly larger mare. I got no info on medical records, ages, etc. , basically the lady delivered them and took a check. (This was 87yo my mother's idea.)

The mare had her first bout with illness around the time the first vet came to give shots. She had diarrhea and he gave shots anyway. It almost killed her. She was lying down and pooping diarrhea. I got her over that and she got sick again. The vet came and stuck his hand up her butt and took a sample. Whatever he thought it was, sample was negative. I thought at the point, sand colic. Next vet didn't think that but thought metabolic disorder. 3rd vet thought sand colic and tubed her.

I started feeding sand clear regularly, but she kept getting sick. Projectile watery poop, anorexia, listlessness, basically acted like she felt crappy. She will eat beet pulp and likes to drink the juice, that's what kept her alive, I think.

As I researched this issue, I kept coming back to the Ph in her gut. I bought a probiotic and added it to her feed and she wouldn't touch it. I bought pectin for the diarrhea (vet prescribed clay) nothing would stop it. Eventually, I started giving her tums and they helped but she still got sick. The last time was brief.

Finally, I bought the probiotic treats at almost $20 a bag. She likes them, so I learned to make my own with the enzyme probiotics, apple flavored instant oatmeal, applesauce and lecithin. See attached

Fingers crossed that I can get her gut balanced with these. Is this unusual with mini-horses?

Attachments

• IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm so glad she's there with you, thank you, thank you for looking after her!! ❤
I don't think it's specifically a mini thing, I have an OTTB who was very like that that I almost lost a few years ago. I'm no expert but I think you're on the right track. I find hay (and grass) and beetpulp is the best thing to feed. No or as little grain as possible. I used a product from omega-alpha that I syringed into her( she was eating nothing at the time) that is for ulcers, it helped a lot, I saw a slow improvement every day. Other than adding something like that I think you're doing the right thing, I hope it helps her. If you do use something for ulcers stay away from all the acid reducers, there is a boomerang effect when you take them off and they get worse again, I've also found with them that they helped for a day or two and then stopped. She can stay on the ones that coat and help heal for a few months which is how long it really takes. Good luck!!

My mare had explosive diarrhea when I first got her. Someone on here suggested aloe vera. It worked like a charm. I think about 1/8 cup, or a couple of tbs. Within three days she was less soft and within a week she was normal. I kept her on it for about a year. Once in a while she had a bout, but it was slight and just occasional. I put mine on prebiotic also. I think it helped her also. I believe in alfalfa also for good health. What an ordeal for you both!
Your home made treat sounds like a great recipe!

Also be aware that some of the treatments for stomach ulcers in horses can make hindgut ulcers worse, if that is what she is dealing with and not some other issue.

If you look on the Chronicle of the Horse forum, there are some excellent past threads about these topics with tons of ideas to try. Search for Nexium and that will bring up a giant thread about ulcers and there might be some hindgut info in there, then also search "hindgut ulcers" to bring up more threads that might be helpful.

https://forum.chronofhorse.com/latest

Back