Pleasure driving shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
I'm going to my first one in June! However, I've never shown in one, can someone explain these to me? Dress, appointments, etc. How the class is run...

I've done rated Mini shows and open shows, but never one of these!

Is this an American Driving Society (ADS) Pleasure driving show? I LOVE those. They might be confused with CDEs because some shows include parts of each. If this is an ADS show, there will be specific information about it on the ADS website (www.AmericanDrivingSociety.org). Usually there are are ring classes for working (a pleasure driving class), turnout ( judging your turnout mostly), and reinsmanship, usually with a pattern. They may also offer a cones course which is really fun. You usually have to wear a driving apron and BROWN gloves. Depending on the show,you might need wooden wheels and checks are frowned upon (side checks might be allowed). You might want to do a search on here for "turnout". Here are a couple of photos of us in the ring or on the cones course at 2 different shows.

2012-08-26-cde-2.jpg

cones_ad.jpg

Are you talking about the pleasure drive at Black Star? You need to come to the Tejas club show next weekend in Greenville.

http://www.tejascarriageassociation.org/

No, this is the one from the North Texas Whip at Willow Draw. I believe it is a ADS show, NTW is an ADS club.

Targetsmom, I have a wooden Meadowbrook I'll be using for this show, not my Jerald or the EE...
default_smile.png
The classlist isn't posted yet.

My guy goes check-less unless he's in the breed ring.
default_smile.png
And I LOVE cones! NTW holds playdays, and the BEST part is the Derby, which is a cones course and you can go ALL OUT during this one! We won the Derby last month- it was a blast! Of course, the other girl would have won had she not been ejected going around the corner. She actually landed ON HER FEET and kept running! I'da been picking dirt outta my teeth for a week!

You will have fun at either or both. Have to look at their class list but most Pleasure shows consist of a dressage class, reinsmanship and several ring classes (just like AMHA/AMHR), and several different kinds of cones courses. Look up the rules in the ADS rulebook.

A meadowbrook will look fine. Pleasure harness and dress formally, like for church. Remember, breeching, no checks (sidechecks are allowed in training but why) and no Martingale unless it's a false Martingale.

Just checked the NTW site and this is a fun day at Willow Draw. ADS rules for the most part but less formal and less pressure.

The TCA Carriage Classic at Cedar Creek is an ADS Pleasure Show. More formal. The judge and TD are from Canada and both are really nice guys.

Reactions: BBH
Dress formal, but conservative colors, especially for dressage. Some people get really carried away in the turnout classes, but it is all fun!

Thanks,Al!!

I do have a pleasure harness (I actually have four harnesses- two show harnesses, one draft harness and a pleasure harness- one ONE driving horse! *giggle*) with "the works". Love it! It's by Country Carriages USA.

I'd love to go to the TCA show, just to watch. Maybe I'll learn something!

Another question: I see I can use a helmet instead of a hat, however, my helmet is red white and blue lightning stripes. I guess I should get a black cover?
default_smile.png

On the Helmet, not for this event. However, having a black cover handy might be comforting. Try to get to the TCA Carriage Classic, even if just to watch. Marsoe LaRose (POJ) and Simon Resenman (TD) are very knowledgable and you will see some exqusit turnouts. I can't be there, but my tandem harness will be. Does that count. I want to go but we're heading out to NC for a CDE there.

Have fun.

The helmets are different in those two pic I posted. One on the left is my new one with a silver stripe and the one on the right is covered with a plain (not velvet) black helmet cover. I am about the only adult in my area that wears a helmet when not required but that is OK too. Dressage riders didn't used to wear helmets in competition either, until an Olympic rider was seriously injured.

The June pleasure show is not an ADS event it is a practice pleasure show with the ADS sanctioned event to be held in the Fall...Sept at Willow Draw.

Back