Please share what you are working on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a pocket quilt last year. It has large areas that cannot be quilted because of the pockets. So I was not able to hand quilt it. I waited on a list for 6 months for the machine quilter to get to it, and she called me last week to say it was ready. I started the binding today, then comes the fun part of choosing and attaching the dozens of buttons on the pocket flaps. I'll try to get a photo while I have it laid out flat working on the buttons.

This is the first machine quilt I've had, and had an interesting experience: I chose her because all the quilts I've seen that she did were just artisitic and exquisite. So she was worth the wait. Then when she called me, she said she had put the backing on wrong--short side to long side of top--and of course ran out of fabric at the bottom. She had to cut fabric off the side and sew it to the bottom.

She was full of apologies and couldn't understand how she could do such a thing. She gave me 50% discount on the quilting.

I was a little upset, but the backing fabric isn't one that would be noticeable to piece. Plus, I'm not a super piecer and the top isn't Blue Ribbon. And, I was happy to know that someone who is such a perfectionist can also make a mistake.

Every quilt has a story...

I made a pocket quilt last year. It has large areas that cannot be quilted because of the pockets. So I was not able to hand quilt it. I waited on a list for 6 months for the machine quilter to get to it, and she called me last week to say it was ready. I started the binding today, then comes the fun part of choosing and attaching the dozens of buttons on the pocket flaps. I'll try to get a photo while I have it laid out flat working on the buttons.

This is the first machine quilt I've had, and had an interesting experience: I chose her because all the quilts I've seen that she did were just artisitic and exquisite. So she was worth the wait. Then when she called me, she said she had put the backing on wrong--short side to long side of top--and of course ran out of fabric at the bottom. She had to cut fabric off the side and sew it to the bottom.

She was full of apologies and couldn't understand how she could do such a thing. She gave me 50% discount on the quilting.

I was a little upset, but the backing fabric isn't one that would be noticeable to piece. Plus, I'm not a super piecer and the top isn't Blue Ribbon. And, I was happy to know that someone who is such a perfectionist can also make a mistake.

Every quilt has a story...
Good story...makes it very memorable. Can't wait to see photos.

Lois

I got all the buttons sewn on today. Every button is different. I had buttons all over the place, sorting through them for size and color. The quilt is odd, being so many different colors. It's finished, but I wouldn't do another; the pockets are too large for pleasing design and color and too difficult to handquilt. Turned up a corner to show the backing fabric. The one thing that did turn out was my mitered corners!

www.cassphoto.com/pocketquilt.jpg

I got all the buttons sewn on today. Every button is different. I had buttons all over the place, sorting through them for size and color. The quilt is odd, being so many different colors. It's finished, but I wouldn't do another; the pockets are too large for pleasing design and color and too difficult to handquilt. Turned up a corner to show the backing fabric. The one thing that did turn out was my mitered corners!

www.cassphoto.com/pocketquilt.jpg
Its very cute. I think it'll make a little girl very happy. At least it looks perfect for a little girl to me.

I love it Marsha! And I agree with Chanda, some little girl would love it! I see this 50yrs down the road being well loved, I can picture that for that quilt!!! LOL!! I like it a lot!

Simply beautiful. I love everything about it. I can see those pockets being full of treasures, memories, and dreams.

Lois

Lois, a friend did the orginal mock-up after I told her aobut my idea, I really don't know what program she used, but do know she has one of the versions of Electric Quilter, so perhaps that. I took her mock-up and rearranged it in Photoshop, which doesn't look as good as her original, but gives me an idea.
Quilt Pro had their program for Mac on sale and after debating on it overnight, I bought it this morning. It is on a temporary 30 day trial. I am figuring it out little by little. Not having much luck getting my scanned photos of my fabric in the system yet. Haven't given up yet though.

Lois

Last edited by a moderator:
Quilt Pro had their program for Mac on sale and after debating on it overnight, I bought it this morning. It is on a temporary 30 day trial. I am figuring it out little by little. Not having much luck getting my scanned photos of my fabric in the system yet. Haven't given up yet though.

Lois
Good luck iwth it. I really don't know, but perhaps some of the features aren't available during the trial. Have fun trying it out, be sure to let us know what you think.

I have it figured out. Took me awhile, but once I reread the user manual, and kept it open while I moved the file into the right directory...it worked. I like that it will figure out the yardage for each fabric. This was the black on black Wild Horses fabric that I scanned in first. I have a lot more material to scan in but will do it as I come up with quilt ideas. This will definitely keep me busy.

Lois

Thank you. I still have a few of hte horse fabrics left, I might have to make a tablerunner, too.

Finished this tote bag for my mom for Mother's Day. Think she might like it!

MomsTotebag3.jpg

MomsTotebag2.jpg

I have been busy practicing my free motion quilting. If any of you do this, I would love to hear your experiences and tips! So far it is going good...just not ready for prime time yet...but I'm getting closer.

I have also, after visiting y'all etsy shops, been setting up my esty shop called LilCountryStore and it went live today! Please stop by and let me know what you think. I never see my own mistakes so if you see something I should fix or change, I would certainly appreciate the advice. I listed 11 creations to start and have many more to add. Would also like to hear of your etsy experiences.

Hope everyone is finding some "me" time and creating all sorts of treasures. As always, I would love to see what you are working on!

Lois

I am a button collector and always love ways to enjoy them. Also like to make my own greeting cards, and recycle. I made two greeting cards. The background is a linen skirt that needed recycling. The button boxes are appliqued using various old fabric scraps. The buttons are called Diminutives, each about 1/4-5/16" in size. The incredible artistry in these tiny buttons always amazes me. The finished fabric piece is attached permanently to the background and cardstock with acid-free spray adhesive. The buttons are bulky, and that is the best way I could think of to stabilize the piece on the cardstock.

I had trouble deciding which of my wee treasures I could part with; these cards will be birthday gifts to very special button friends.

Inside the card I wrote: In The Button Box of Friendship, you're the Pick of the Poke.

www.cassphoto.com/buttoncards.jpg

"Charley", I visited your Etsy store and really like your work! That baby quilt with ponies is so cute!

Have you thought of signing up for the Etsy Card? I thought of it, but haven't followed through.

Latest posts

Back