Please share what you are working on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been piecing a quilt for my grandaughter, Lily. She loves pink...duh. I've finally got it finished (the piecing that is) and I had to order the backing as it was out of stock. I'm using the extra wide white fabric so I won't have to piece the backing. P1010002.JPGP1010003.JPG

I'll have to go to the church fellowship hall to use one of the tables to baste everything together, but I'd like to start the quilting as soon as possible. I'm aiming on having it done by her birthday in September. But, failing that, there is always Christmas.

I've been piecing a quilt for my grandaughter, Lily. She loves pink...duh. I've finally got it finished (the piecing that is) and I had to order the backing as it was out of stock. I'm using the extra wide white fabric so I won't have to piece the backing.
attachicon.gif
P1010002.JPG
attachicon.gif
P1010003.JPG

I'll have to go to the church fellowship hall to use one of the tables to baste everything together, but I'd like to start the quilting as soon as possible. I'm aiming on having it done by her birthday in September. But, failing that, there is always Christmas.
Very pretty.

I've been piecing a quilt for my grandaughter, Lily. She loves pink...duh. I've finally got it finished (the piecing that is) and I had to order the backing as it was out of stock. I'm using the extra wide white fabric so I won't have to piece the backing.
attachicon.gif
P1010002.JPG
attachicon.gif
P1010003.JPG

Beautiful!! She is going to love it. Hope they get the material in soon so you can get it finished for her birthday.

attachicon.gif
P1010002.JPG
attachicon.gif
P1010003.JPG

That's so pretty! I'll bet she'll love it!!

I like those a lot!!!! I can't wait to see more!!! looking at your heart one up close, it looks easier then I had pictured in my mind! LOL! I always assume the world is ending and I can't do it, but I may give that one a try!! Thanks for posting those!!!

I like those a lot!!!! I can't wait to see more!!! looking at your heart one up close, it looks easier then I had pictured in my mind! LOL! I always assume the world is ending and I can't do it, but I may give that one a try!! Thanks for posting those!!!
I changed the heart block a little bit to have fewer seams than the pattern showed, here's a link ot the heart pattern: http://www.simplicity.com/t-free-quilt-patterns-Heart-Blocks.aspx Its the first block on the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too, bookmarked the webpage. Looks like a great site to get lots of ideas. Thanks for sharing.

I ordered the backing fabric and some black/white fabric for the front of the horse quilt. Laid the four completed blocks out and noticed that in the last pieced block the horses are facing both ways. So I set that block aside (will make it into a pillow cover...I may take it apart or use it as it is, not sure yet), I cut more material so the horses will face the same direction in the block. Don't know what I was thinking when I laid it out, but it happens. Just glad I had some more material to cut.

Figured out that I am going to make my mother a purse for Mother's Day and have everything set aside for that. Perfect day for sewing as it is raining here in Georgia. Hoping that the yellow pollen is washed away. Yesterday you could see clouds of pollen blowing from the pine trees.

Lois

Thinking of this as a layout (friend did the original mock, and I rearranged some more - border is right color but not to scale):

FAiry quilt 1 - mock up.jpg

I put my purses on etsy so i figured I need a change for a while and the weather is yucky so quilting is it!

Remember my angry quilts, well this is one of them and it fought me all the way! Done, and put in a bag for the craft show! I'm putting this one and the black one in the corner with a sign that says MAKE ME AN OFFER!!!! Lol!

The black one was fun but I do not ever want to work with black again! The backing on this one fought me tooth and nail! I still have to fix the binding! But it's put away for now!

Now I'm working on this crazy peacock one, and man its loud! Not sure what to do with the boarder, something solid, green or blue or teal..... not sure yet. Yep I said no more black but this is the last one! Lol!
I cant wait to do something light and fluff, with soft colors and flowers, and that new heart block!

2013-04-18_13-29-01_649.jpg

2013-04-18_13-26-54_898.jpg

2013-04-18_15-07-18_146.jpg

2013-04-19_13-54-39_902.jpg

Chanda, I love the pattern that you have come up with. Very original and custom made for the fabrics that you are working with. Very nice. Did you use a program to create the photograph using the fabric swatches?

Jack's Thunder, your quilts are lovely. I love the placement of your patterned blocks. You make very good choices with your colors and patterns. Can't wait to see everything finished and what you decide to work on next.

I had one of my recent quilts give me fits on the backing when I was stretching it to sandwich the quilt. I had to remove all the pins and start over. I don't know what I did the first time but it went together perfectly the second time around. Some days when I work on something and it isn't coming out right, I just back away and come back to it the next day and it works. Sometimes I think it is just me having a bad day and nothing I do comes out like I thought it would. I really hate having days like that.

Lois

Jack's Thunder, I tried to send you a message but it says you can't receive any more. Could you message me with the address of your etsy shop or the name of it so I can add you to my etsy favorites?

Lois

Chanda, I love the pattern that you have come up with. Very original and custom made for the fabrics that you are working with. Very nice. Did you use a program to create the photograph using the fabric swatches?

Lois
Lois, a friend did the orginal mock-up after I told her aobut my idea, I really don't know what program she used, but do know she has one of the versions of Electric Quilter, so perhaps that. I took her mock-up and rearranged it in Photoshop, which doesn't look as good as her original, but gives me an idea.

I looked at the Electric Quilt site but it is only for Windows. Found a Quilt Pro site that is for Mac...really thinking on this. It would make planning so much easier. Just can't really say that I need it.

Lois

There is always pencil and paper.

I made this quilt:

Prairie Queen - finished - Sept 3, 2012 for web.jpg

Knowing what block I was going to use and graph paper to decide how to arrange 3", 6" 9" and 12" blocks to make a design I liked (no I didn't drawn the individual blocks, but just outlines of the appropriate sizes to see how to arrange them).

Yes, I plan my quilts on paper before I start them and figure the number and sizes of the blocks to cut and the yardage. I use colored pencils (and my eraser a lot). Just thinking it would be so nice to see the actual fabrics together on the screen and having the program figuring the yardage would be nice too. Only thing is I have a lot of fabric that probably isn't in their fabric library but I could probably work around that. Still thinking about it. They have a separate program for borders, a separate one for triangles, etc. I want to see how they work together. Going to read some more about it.

I don't know about the program you are looking at, but I think the newest versions of EQ have the ability to scan in your actual fabric or download pics from the internet, but I'm not sure. I have EQ5, but its not compatible with my new computer, its too old.

Latest posts

Back