Please Help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janis

Reaction score
We have a mare that is just wasting away. She will NOT eat most of the time. This started about 2 years ago. We would feed her and she would refuse to eat. We keep her stalled so we can see if she eats her food or not. One day she will eat Strategy, the next, she won't. We have taken her to the vet, had blood drawn. The vets can't find anything wrong with her. He bloodwork shows to be that of a healthy, younger horse (she's 16). We've had 2 vets check her out, she's had her teeth checked out. We keep food in front of her at all times - sometimes she eats sometimes she don't. We have tried everything we know to try. Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Have you tried giving her B12 to encourage an appetite?

What happened 2 years ago to her?

If it's not physical, it's psychological/emotional. I have a gut feeling she's depressed about something. She may act okay for a short time, but then something reminds her of something and starts the whole cycle over......

Is there a reason she is stalled all the time? She may well be depressed about not being with other horses.

Has she been treated for ulcers? I would start her today on aggressive ulcer meds if she were mine. Gastro/UlcerGuard, Ranitidine and Sucralfate. See if that helps.

I once had an Appaloosa "futurity filly" who went off her feed just a couple of months before her big Futurity show, and the vet recommended a product called Ketamalt. (sp?) It is a suppliment manufactured for cattle, but full of vitamins etc...and he said that he found that it incresed appitites in horses. he was right! After just a couple of days that filly would eat up her feed and still licking her lips, would look for more.
default_smile.png

It is very possible that Ketamalt contains B12, and that is why it worked. I did go the injectable B12 route with a rescue mare I had once, and it worked wonderfully. In less than a month on those B12 shots, that mare went from a dandruffy, sad looking, flat-eyed mess to a shiny-eyed, filled-out mare with a glossy, dappled coat. I wouldn`t have believed it possible, had it not happened in my own barn.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
default_wub.png

Yes, we've tried B12. It's like everything else, it seems to work for a little while, we get our hopes up that we're on the up side of this and then she stops eating again.

We don't know of anything that happened. We just noticed her losing her appetite and starting to lose weight and we took her to the vet. She is our alpha mare. She is boss and everyone knows it. We even know it. She wants in the barn - we let her in the barn. She wants in the pasture with the babies - we let her in the pasture. She pretty much runs the barn. The only thing that we make her do is stay in her stall at night to try to get her to eat her supper.

Is she slipping down the hierarchy??

Is she is foal, if not, why not?

Giving her gastroguard will not hurt at all.

If you could get her out on good grazing, I am pretty sure she would eat, as it is instinctive to do so.

I understand your frustration, though, you cannot make her eat!!!

How about bread??

Would she eat bread, apples, carrots, stuff we usually limit to titbits??

I'm just throwing stuff out there at the moment, trying to get a fuller picture!

No, she is STILL boss. She comes to the gate when we bring everyone up at night, and everyone scatters. She's FIRST.

We've done the ulcer medicines - more than once. We've done the sand-clear stuff (the expensive kind suggested by the vet).

She's not in foal because she started losing weight and we didn't want to breed her until we found out what her problem was.

I can tell you that she LOVES cat food. As soon as she comes in the barn at night she goes straight to the cat food. We have to drag her away from it. It can't be good for her, can it?

We've haven't tried any people food, bread, apples, etc.

Ulcers!!!!

Definitely treat her for ulcers!!!

We have had the same experience and it is amazing what 2 wks of ulcerguard/gastroguard and then continuing on Pelleted Progressive Ulcer Formula has done for a thoroughbred here.

In 2 months he has completely changed.

I would be surprised if that didn't work. They brighten up, feel better and the biggest thing ... started gaining weight, so much that we now have to cut back on what we are giving him.

My 2 cents - I would try Stomach Soother if she were mine (http://www.stomachsoother.com/). It is all natural, made from papaya, and horse LOVE it. I have used it to get them to eat meds, to help prevent stress/ulcers when weaning, the list goes on... Smells great too. It is supposed to help boost appetite among its other wonders.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you treated her for ulcers, what product and dose did you use and for how long?

Don't let her get any cat food. I know of a mini that died from getting into cat food one time. I can't remember what it caused (renal failure?) but it wasn't good.

Does she eat better when she can eat along side another mare? (not alone)

Please go back and begin a new regimine of ulcer meds. Be very sure you are using the right kind that will actually cure the ulcer, not the preventitive. Also be sure she is on it religiously for about 40 days, no less without fail or forgetting a day. Usually just because people see their horse turn around in a week, they stop medication. Do not do that. Follow through.

At the same time, do a 5 day in a row with Safeguard. That can't hurt a thing.

Don't forget a good teeth float.

No cat food!

Good luck.

DEFINITELY keep her away from the cat food!!! Yikes.

And give her another go round with ulcer meds..........Ulcers can be sneeky.

Is there anything anyone can think of about the cat kibble that might be attracting the mare? Why is kitty kibble so dang appealing to her when horse food is not?

Maybe there's a clue there?

I want to re-iterate going with ulcer meds. The vet in FT Worth, TX during World had my ulcer case on Gastro Guard, Ranitidine and Sucralfate. All at the same time. Gastro Guard once a day, Ranitidine 3 X day and Sucralfate 2 X day. She said the Gastro Guard works best on stomach ulcers but the Ranitidine/Sucralfate work better on intestinal ulcers. Seems to work.

A horse with ulcers generally doesn't want to eat it's normal ration, so you need to try to get them to eat anything they will. Green grass is the best if it's available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has she been treated for ulcers? I would start her today on aggressive ulcer meds if she were mine. Gastro/UlcerGuard, Ranitidine and Sucralfate. See if that helps.
What you describe sounds classic for ulcers. If I were in your place I would try this full treatment as Becky has described. Depending how bad her ulcers are you might see improvement in 4 days to 2 weeks. Then you continue the Gastroguard or Ulcerguard for at least a month or much longer. Also, once you have her eating again, basically keep hay in front of her all the time. An empty digestive system allows the acid to just eat away. Also look for a diet that will not promote excess acid like grain products do.

Also look for anything in her life which she might find stressful and see if you can change that.

Be careful with B vitamin supplements as some can really cause stomach pain in ulcer horses...or people.

I hope you can get her eating soon.

Charlotte

Just curious about how she feels about plain old grass? Does she have regular access to it?

As for the cat food, it's very high in protein, right? Just wondering also about what it is that appeals to her about it.

I want to re-iterate going with ulcer meds. The vet in FT Worth, TX during World had my ulcer case on Gastro Guard, Ranitidine and Sucralfate. All at the same time. Gastro Guard once a day, Ranitidine 3 X day and Sucralfate 2 X day. She said the Gastro Guard works best on stomach ulcers but the Ranitidine/Sucralfate work better on intestinal ulcers. Seems to work.
A horse with ulcers generally doesn't want to eat it's normal ration, so you need to try to get them to eat anything they will. Green grass is the best if it's available.
When I read the symptoms of your mare - my first thought was ulcers - What Becky described above is exactly what I would do if this was my mare. Our vet also recommends the same combination of medications for ulcers for the same reasons mentioned above. In addition I would use a large cath syringe and give her 60 ccs twice a day of rice bran oil by mouth- put her on pasture as well if possible and Id try to see if she will eat small amounts of 3rd or 4th cutting pure alfalfa............on top of a very soft early cut grass hay

It is key that you need to keep her on this medication combination for about 6 to 8 weeks - normally you will see progress in about 2 weeks - sometimes even quicker....................but it is critical to keep her on the meds for the correct duration to give the ulcers time to heal.

Good luck.

I was wondering if you have had her x-rayed to see if by chance she might have a cracked molar or impacted tooth. As we all know, teething problems can often accompany a lack of interest in food - after all --- it hurts to chew! Along with the ulcer issue, I would definately get her her checked out - won't hurt and you might be surprised.

I hope she feels better soon - poor little gal.

Stacy

Latest posts

Back