Please help me!!! Dreamer is having a pelvic nerve lock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_sad.png
Just finally found and read through this post/posts..I have to add my sinceres sympathy for your prescious angel filly. and many wishes for improvement of dear Dreamer.

I can't imagine your heartbreak and anguish of these past few days..I'm truly sorry,

Maxine

default_no.gif
so sorry for the loss of her bay filly. We are praying Dreamer recovers.

She is in our prayers.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

I noticed from this morning til tonight, Dreamer DOES place weight on her bad side to take a step, where as this morning she couldn't put ANY weight on it. That seems to me like things may be looking up. My prayers are with Dreamer and Theresa. Your big "family" here are supporting you all the way
default_smile.png

UPDATE:

Teresa asked me to post this: She appreciates all this support from everyone and says thank you all so much. She has no time to get on the computer so please bear with her on that right now and she knows her pms are full and will try to empty them as soon as she can.

On Monday am, the vet will be there to X ray. They are hoping that the portable XRay machine will be powerful enough to get through to see what exactly the problem is. They do fear a dislocated hip but of course the X ray will determine if that is the case or not. They will probably have to sedate Dreamer to do this. After the X rays are read, they will then know what their options are. She said Dreamer is a fighter and wants to live and of course they will do everything in their power to save her. They love her so much. They have been rotating ice packs and then heat on the hip area. Dreamer is on rompin and banamine for pain and yes she is getting around much better today. Please continue your well wishes and support for this very devoted family.

Theresa and Marty,

Thank you so much for the update. I can not get Dreamer and her family out of my mind.. She is the last thing I think before I fall alseep and the first thing when I wake. She did seem to be doing better today.. Praying that it is only good news about that fighting little Dreamer tomorrow.. God bless her and help heal her!!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

On Monday am, the vet will be there to X ray. They are hoping that the portable XRay machine will be powerful enough to get through to see what exactly the problem is. They do fear a dislocated hip but of course the X ray will determine if that is the case or not. They will probably have to sedate Dreamer to do this.
This is exactly what happened with our mare Style here... Style was sedated and the portable x-ray machine was strong enough to see the problem - Style's hip was badly dislocated. Surgery was possible but would have been very hard on her - as would the recovery process... so in the end we made the painful decision to ease her suffering...

I am praying that Dreamer has a much better outcome than Style did....
default_pray.gif

Theresa-

Hang in there - I know the waiting for a diagnosis has been really difficult. You are one wonderful lady with a wonderful horse. My prayers continue to be with you all. Dreamer certainly has been a trooper. I'm hoping for a positive diagnosis today so that Dreamer will be able to get on with whatever treatment or surgery she needs. Hugs to you and Dreamer.

Barbie

My thoughts and prayers are with you for a successful outcome to the vets visit today.

Hugs for you all.

Anna

I just finished my weekend of really long shifts and ran to check the thread.

I am so very sorry about Dreamer's filly. Reading this brought tears to my eyes, and anger in my heart for the terrible loss and pain that Theresa is going through because of all of this and the nasty calls and messages she has received. Even my husband( non-horsey but still a good guy) had been asking what has been happening.

I suppose today we will all find out with the xray what is up.

A thought..... in humans that have a dislocated hip.... an anesthesiologist can give a fast acting medicine that briefly paralyzes muscles and relaxes them at the same time putting in a breathing tube and making sure the person continues to breathe by inflating the lungs with a "Ambu bag" then an orthopedic doctor quickly pulls and manipulates the leg and hip into position. The medicine wears off very quickly and the breathing tube is removed, the person breathes well on their own. Many times surgery is not needed. Afterwards, rest, steriods( for swelling) and pain medication are used.

Is there any chance that if it is dislocated only, could two vets and some non vet help do something like this???? Costs would be so much less than surgery and it would be worth a try. I would think at least sonme heavy sedation would be nessacary as an animal or person would "guard" the hip and hold it stiffly and manipulation wouldn't be possible without the ralaxation. I know humans are different but hips are hips.... just a thought?

I want to say that I am praying so hard for a good out come... PLease God?? Our forum prayers are strong as shown by my 2 premie foals that were prayed for by many here and are doing so well now.

God bless you all

Robin

ps... thanks REO for trying to help.

Even my husband( non-horsey but still a good guy) had been asking what has been happening.
Mine too. He's asks "Any news?" He loves our horses, and knows how painful this would be for us....esp me.

Today is an important day, Theresa. You will follow your heart and it will be the exact right thing to do.

We're praying you through.

Sending prayers for a successful visit with the vet and a positive outcome. It is so obvious how much you care for you sweet mare.

My prayers and light continue and I wonder about Robin's idea...this is what they did to me when I was 22 and slipped as a waitress and dislocated my right hip..long healing process but it worked.

Theresa,

We've been praying all weekend for Dreamer and will continue to do so. Hope the vet is there soon with good news for your beautiful girl!! Hang in there!! Hugs to all of you!!

I've been following this painful story and just wanted to add my positive thoughts and prayers for a good prognosis from the vet today. I can only imagine how exhausted you must be from giving so much of yourself to your Dreamer. You're a one in a million mini mom!!

Hopefullt this is D-Day (Dreamers Day) for GOOD NEWS! We are praying that the x-ray will tell us what we need (pray) to know. She is getting around better, up longer. I am not sure if it is the pain management she is on or she has figured out a way to compensate for her injury. She has a will to survive like no other horse I have ever seen. And as long as she is fighting we will fight for her! I have read the first 15 pages on this thread
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
we are so inspired by everyones prayers for Dreamer. I am truely at a loss for words. I don't know what to say. It is OK to call us, I had a forum caller last nite that begged me not to turn off the cam because she called to ask about Dreamer and to donate to her surgery cost. The only reason the cam was going private was beacuse of threats to take my babies away from us. THOSE calls have stopped!!
default_aktion033.gif
And we have been able to fully concentrate at her recovery. I wanted to tell you a short story on how she got her name. I feel that she is just as much your horse as mine now....My parents were very much into horses when I was growing up. Horses, horses, horses everywhere! As we grew up I was the only one who remained in horses, the other 3 children had no interest what so ever in them. When I moved to Okla. in 12-2001from Flordia, my dads eyes were all a glow when we unloaded our 2 full size horses. He just could not wait till spring so he and Art could go riding!!!
default_wub.png
Spring came and off they went, at the time we did not know that my dad had termial cancer. That same Spring Art and I decieded to get a mini. Found one 4 hours away and off we went. That was the day that Dillion entered our life. Dad so had horse fever by now that he wanted a horse of his own, so we were off to auctions, private farms, ect. And we found him a wonderful 1/4 mare 2 yo. She was green broke but he did not care, I don't think he ever had the intention of riding her, just having a horse of his own to care for. Some time passed and he asked me if we could raise minis together. By this time my parents had decided they were going to sell their home and move to the country with Art and I. They bought some property that attached to ours, and the hunt for mini mares had begun. We came across Dreamer, went to go look at her and dad just loved her! Her prior owners thought she and her foal were cute and wanted them in their pasture with the BIG horses. They soon found out, that was not a good idea. So they had to sell her quick for fear of her, her baby and unborn foal getting injured. Dad was so proud our 1st mini together!!!! He told me that night he liked the name Dreamer, and why. That one day he hoped I would come back home and his dream was for us to have horses again.
default_crybaby.gif
So there you have it as to why she is called Dreamer. Sadly, not long after dad passed away. She has given us Honey, Donte` and Dayja. Sadly Honey went to the vet for colic and the vet tubed her lungs and killed her, Donte` we found dead in the pasture for no apparent reason, and we still have Dayja and always will. Dreamer is a big chunk of my heart, as when I look at her I see my dad's face that day he bought her and handed her to me, he was so proud and happy. So, please continue to pray for her. And call to see how she is doing( free minutes for my cell after 7pm EST). This did not turn out to be so short afterall. I guess I just needed "friends" to talk to......We are forever grateful to all of you and other people on other forums. Dreamer and her Humans...Art and Theresa

Latest posts

Back