Please help if you can need advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise

Reaction score
default_unsure.png
: I have just recently started raising minis and i am having a problem with foaling. I have been real faithful watching my mares and have been there for all of the births except for two and of coarse they didn't get out of the bag. these were both older mares and i was told they had no foaling problems and were very good mothers. i had to run to a funeral was was gone for only 1 hour and wouldn't you know it i came home to two dead foals. i have raised quarter horses for 20 years prior to this and only lost one foal that came backwards. do minis have more of a problem getting out of the bag? the other 6 foals that were born just popped right out. i have 5 more to go and i will not be leaving the barn but thought maybe some of you could offer me some advice. i do know that it wasn't fescue hay.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE

Louise

I`m sorry about your loss, I am new with raising the minis also, this is my first year with babies...

good luck with your other mares...

Mini foals are so light in weight there is often just not enough little body there to break through the sack.I have delivered foals with a sac so strong I really had to poke&pull to get my hands through the sack.Unfortunately many foals do not get out of the sack if the birth is not attended.I am so sorry for your loss.Better luck with the next ones.I have been doing this almost 20 years.

I have had 4 foals in the last four years. I have been at all of the births but one and it went text book. I personally make sure I am at all foaling events in my barn. I have heard that minis do have a tough time getting out of the sac, that the sac is the same consistancy as a full size horse. I am not willing to take the chance, the last foal I had did have a time of it getting out of the sac, and I had to turn my engagement ring around and use the diamond in it to tear the sac. If I had not been there Shooter would not of made it...

Louise,

First let me say how sorry I am. What a hard thing for you to return home to! Plus, I'm sure you had two grieving mares to deal with. I hope they are handling it okay.

In answer to your question, Yes. A mini's birthsac is basically the same thickness as a full sized horse's. So a mini foal just doesn't have the size or strength to always successfully break through it on their own, so it can suffocate.

This is why people try to make sure they are present for the birth. Even if it's a textbook delivery, we make sure that the sac is removed from the baby's head.

MA

Here in this area any Mini breeder that has had an issue with foals not getting out of the sac has put their mares on PMU mineral & that has fixed the problem of tough sacs. I don't know which mineral is specifically responsible, but the PMU mineral does seem to ensure that sacs are thinner & easy for the foal to break.

Cattle ranchers here have commented on the same thing--if they don't want to have calves dying in the sac, they make sure that their cows are on a specific mineral mix well before calving season. It really does make a difference.

In any case--the first advice local breeders give to new owners--if you're going to breed your mares, make sure you put them on the PMU mineral. And definitely, there is something to be said for that advice!!

Louise,

Sorry to hear about losing your foals. I think its something people have to understand. Statistically, you are going to lose some. Of course you can do some things to lessen the chances, but eventually it is going to happen. Sooner to some than others. I hope I'm not sounding cold, it is just a fact of life. I think some people go into it thinking all will be perfect and then they are devastated when something goes wrong. It is important to know that problems can arise.

That said, I do think Minis probably have more difficulty getting out of the sack than large horses. On the other hand, Minis also have advantages over large horses in some areas. You just have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages.

So far in my three years of foaling, I have had one that did not get out of the sack (I got there probably 10 minutes after it was born) and one that would not have gotten out if I had not been there.

I'm sorry for your two losses. To answer your question, yes, minis have more trouble getting out of the sacks because they are so small and the sacks so strong. You really need to be at every birth in case the mare has problems or the sacks don't get broken in birth or they are red bag deliveries.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back