Pictures of my horse of a different color....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontherisefarm

Reaction score
Well my Billy Idol colt who was a lovely golden palomino color as a foal and yearling has now changed on me. It is like having a new horse. He is now a smutty palomino with I am assuming sabino markings kinda like a Rabicano. He has a coon tail, patch of white on belly and roaning in his flanks and throughout his coat. It is hard to tell from the pictures but you can probably see some of it. He still is a good looking boy. These pictures are of course him loose and not being setup properly. Just wanted to show off my "new horse" LOL..
100_2424.jpg

100_2316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He is very nice looking!!!

Do you think he could be smokey silver dapple black???

Whatever his color is, he wears it very well!!!

party.gif

Thanks everybody.. Nope he doesnt carry silver. And he is definitely a palomino but he just went smutty. Shocked me quite a bit to see him so dark and get darker from last year to this. Actually shocked me quite a bit to see the white patch on his belly that wasnt there before either. Didnt know that much white could develop over the winter... We kinda like him alot no matter what color he is.....

He's VERY NICE!!!!!!
default_wub.png
As to his color, I do not see any sign of smutty palomino art all. I would think he may be a smokey silver black. Did you have him color tested? Do you have pics of him unclipped at birth, then in various stages after that, right up to this year when you clipped him?

here is a picture of him as a foal and yearling.
Medicolt7-21b.jpg

100_1308.jpg

He was quite gold as a foal and as a yearling.

Wow, when you said a horse of a different color, you really meant it. Holy cow, I would have never guessed it was the same horse. He was so "palomino" before. Very interesting......

Yes, I meant it.. You cant tell it from these pics but he still has some golden coloring up on his withers and various places in like patches. Almost kinda marbled. Think he trying to be a tortishell..LOL plus he has all these roany hairs mixed in his coat from his flanks. He is definitely kinda interesting.

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW, that is one heck of a color transformation, for sure!! He sure does look palomino as a weanling and yearling!! Do you plan to color test?? It would be really interesting to see the results of that. WOW...unreal!!! He sure is beautiful, no matter the color!!
default_wub.png

Thank you Mona ! I am planning on having him tested for what I can but I dont think they have a test for smutty. I am pretty sure he doesnt carry silver. But I could be wrong. I am pretty sure he is smutty as he is getting black hairs in his tail and I have been told that is a sign of smuttiness in palominos. He didnt have those when he was a foal or yearling either. So I guess we will see.....

Well just so you know exactly what you have, you can test for silver, cream, red and agouti. Then you'll know without a doubt.
default_yes.gif
And PLEASE be sure to let us all know the results!!

I will probably test for silver, red, agouti, LWO( I am sure he doesnt carry that either)and maybe for the sabino test that they have. I dont think I will test for cream as his sire is cremello so I know he carries the cream gene. I will definitely let you all know.

Thanks Leeana !!! We really like him and definitely decided he has a permanent home here. I have always been back and forth on him for various reasons but think I would be pretty stupid not to keep him. I would love to show him sometime but seems like money gets in the way.. The part where I dont have any..LOL

I will probably test for silver, red, agouti, LWO( I am sure he doesnt carry that either)and maybe for the sabino test that they have. I dont think I will test for cream as his sire is cremello so I know he carries the cream gene. I will definitely let you all know.

Oh, good thinking about testing for those pinto genes, and also yes, you're right...I forgot his sire was a cremello, so you can save that $25!
default_yes.gif

I still think hes a silver bay. Tiny was that same color for a couple years and then got really dark. Everyone insisted she was a palomino but we knew she wasnt since neither the sire or dam carried cream. Nice horse!

With the sire being double dilute, he's got to be something with cream. To me, he really looks silver, but in the earlier pics, palomino. He can't be silver bay with Billy Idol as a sire... Will be interesting to follow what he is (other than very handsome that is!).

I still think hes a silver bay. Tiny was that same color for a couple years and then got really dark. Everyone insisted she was a palomino but we knew she wasnt since neither the sire or dam carried cream. Nice horse!
Thanks we think he is too. He cant be silver bay as his sire is a cremello his only other option would be silver buckskin but I will test him and let you all know....Thanks for looking at my mystery colored horse..LOL I really dont think it is silver either as his sire to my knowledge has never thrown a silver ( somebody correct me if I am wrong ) If it is silver it would have to come from Billy Idol as his dam is a bay tobiano so if silver were present she would be silver bay instead.

Kay Kay you are pretty close to me why dont you come visit and see him.? Pictures dont quite get the exact color of his coat. It is quite interesting....

He for sure can be or carry silver with Idol as his sire, his double dilute would just hide his silver gene I am thinking no different then a palomino can carry silver you just would not see it In fact I do not know Idols parents but have often wondered if he carries the silver gene as well just by the looks of some of his get.

I can not wait to hear the results of your color test

Back