Pictures of my horse of a different color....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He certainly looks a Silver Black to me, and I do agree the foal/yearling pictures are not typical BUT when you first posted them I did not think he was Palomino.

Smutty does not really affect the coat like that, and no, you are right there is no test for Smutty/Sooty, and I have seen horses that are darker than that test Palomino....BUT (again
default_wink.png
) when Sooty turns the coat that dark it usually turns the mane and tail dark as well, even on a Palomino.

That is why we think he is Silver....

I don't think there is much point in testing for Sabino as he is obviously Sabino, so all the test would do is tell you if he has Sab1 or not, it's up to you obviously.......

remarkable change. A beautiful horse in all his colors!

I looked and your 2 hrs from me. Wish you were a bit closer!!

What color is the dam??

I just feel sure hes carrying silver. I am not very familiar with his sire but looking at other foals of his silver is either coming from the stallion or the mares he bred because he has quite a few silver foals. If it was me I would test for silver for sure

But no matter what color he is hes a nice guy!

Well, others have already said it....but I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth too. I also feel he is a Silver Smokey Black. as Rabbit said, I woudn't bother testing for Sabino because he has an OBVIOUS sabino pattern on his belly.....and the test will only test for one of several Sabino genes anyway.

I agree, that is GOT to be a silver horse! So I guess smokey silver black?

Hi Alicia

We have a sooty palomino ( dna tested to be a non-silver carrier) this is his photo as a two year old
buddy08.jpg
as when he was younger, I thought he may be a silver buckskin so I had him tested as I had never had one quite the same color before. Interesting that as he has matured, both his mane/tail have continued to have more and more dark hairs. It may help as a comparison photo.

I agree with many others who have indicated that your boy appears to a silver smokey black - let us know what the test shows!

I'm no help on his color but he sure is a handsome looking horse!

Thanks Russ !!!

I will send in hair samples on Monday so I can see what color he is exactly. Dont really care one way or the other but it sure would be interesting to find out..

Thanks Everyone !!!!!

I just mailed off Rockys hair samples to Animal Genetics. I am testing him for LWO, red/black , agouti, and silver. So Might know something by end of week or monday.

Thankyou Leia, I'll keep that in mind but I think we are gonna keep him around awhile... Besides how many people do you know with a horse of a different color..I think tomorrow he may go purple..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
waiting is so hard.. I am really excited about getting his results back.. Cross your fingers they come in Monday morning...

I can't wait to see the results on your beautiful boy!!!

But, I have to tell you, I have already laid claim to any and all purple horses. So, if he turns purple, I will have to book Hauled Right to pick him up at your place and bring him here to me!!!
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

I can't wait to see the results on your beautiful boy!!!
But, I have to tell you, I have already laid claim to any and all purple horses. So, if he turns purple, I will have to book Hauled Right to pick him up at your place and bring him here to me!!!
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

That is too funny Jill.. Purple is my favorite color so we may have to play rock, paper ,scissors to decide..LOL

Well I spent a couple hours at Alicia's on Saturday and got to see Rocky in person (and yes, photos do NOT do him justice!) Definitely don't think he's smokey silver black or silver bay, he's still got that gold tint to his coat in person

I know he cannot be silver bay with a Billy Idol (double dilute) as a sire. Color results will be interesting but we all know he wears any color well
default_smile.png

OK people here are the results....drum roll please....

LWO- nn

red/black- ee

agouti-Aa

silver-nn

so my boy is a palomino.......as he is homozygous red, doesnt carry silver or the lethal white gene so his dark color has to be smutty. Interesting....

so he is actually a smutty palomino tobiano/sabino pinto .

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY Interesting!!! I wish I could see him in person but you know... I'd probably try and sneak him home with me if I did
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
This has been a very educational thread!!! It would be neat if it could go on the "Best Of" board later because I think this is one many people would be surprised by. I love it!!!

Hey,, That is neat!

I love his color. I Hope my Billy Filly has the smutty color too..
default_smile.png
)

So many of Billy's babies are.

~Sandy

Latest posts

Back