Pictures of Lacing designs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have another theory, I think it's a sun burn. Really. I have a filly here who was Born on my farm, I owned her mother, and have seen her father on a consistant basis for several years. Filly was born soild bay. Not a speck of white on her, here's a few day old pic, and a liz pic of her as a weanling....(No she's not for sale, I love love Love her!!)

IMG_0434.jpg

webcabana1.jpg

She was born with nothing. After her liz shoot, I noticed she had gotten a little burnt from her grand total of about an hour in the sun all gooped up. I kept her out of the sun for two weeks, but she still got that funky skin peeling/flaking off thing. When her coat grew back in, she had lacing. It's white, and the same beautiful pattern that many of these other horses show.

I'm thinking that some of it Must be heridatary, but the more simple white pattern laceing is a burn or a fungus, as I have seen a couple of horses do this now... IMO

I have a bay mare with lacing. She has had it since she was a weaner. Her sire is Martins Boozers After Dark by Bond Boozer. Her dam is Knells Starlight by Cross Countrys Steppin for the Moon by Red Boy by Rowdy. I think it is hereditary as I have had horses sunburn on their faces and backs and no pattern ever became of it.

It would be interesting to know the pedigrees of the horses with lacing to see if they all go back to Rowdy/ Bond breeding. Maybe its an overo or pinto trait as my mare has no appy in her background,, at least not close up.

I have her for sale and people have asked me what causes the lacing pattern and I had no real answer for them except I thought it was genetic and it was not scaring.
Lacey5-2-07009.jpg

Thank you everyone for showing me the different types of lacing. It is really strange when you see it for the first time. :new_shocked:

SOME QUESTIONS:

1. Since we got our "rescue" boy at four and he already had lacing. I was curious if lacing grows every year and does it stop??

2. It seems it starts around 2 for most.

I got Sabrina when she was 4. So, I have no idea how long she has had it. I also don't know her lineage as she was unregistered (I hardshipped her) . She is now 12 and her lacing isn't as pronouced as it was in the picture, but hey! she's Appy!
default_wub.png
: LOL! This year she has made up for the lessening of the lacing by adding a bunch of snowflakes!! Whoopieeeeee!!!!! :aktion033:

Wiw this is such an interesting pattern. Wonder what they come up with in the resaerch. I would think it's more of an appy thing, but hey what do i know
default_smile.png

When did your horse's lacing start and has it stopped??

The ones we own who have lacing are of Bond backgrounds, primarily Bond Showboy. There is no appy in the pedigree, but there is some pinto.

The foals born to us that get it, start developing it when they are a few months old. It seems to stop expanding when they reach maturity.

My theory is that it is indeed genetic and that it has something to do with Sabino.

MA

Not lacing so to speak, but sort of looks like it....also looks like reverse dappling; but in this case, this is a mare I've raised and had full siblings too, several 1/2 siblings - and it seems that the sire does tend to pass this on..........so I do believe he's got the genes to pass on for something; probably "sooty" is carrying this, as he is a sooty buckskin ( looks bay to the eye - but not produced to many double dilutes) though he has none of these spots nor ever got them.

Erica's Knock Your Socks Off - multi National Champion; HOF mare and now a broodmare w/ her first foal

f480b345.jpg

f8653cac.jpg

I do think on things like the above (not lacing as if it's there it's there) but with things like Knocker nutrition is a lot of if........she'd always get them usually May-July LOUD like above, earlier in show season and later they would be less prominent.

Just wanted to add, I have an arabian mare, who is a chestnut sabino (minimal, big blaze and white sock), and that is the ONLY pattern present in all of her pedigree. She had a few white spots show up on her withers when she shed her winter coat at 4 years old (she's now 6), and over the last couple of years it has been slowly growing into a nice lacing pattern. I wish I had pics I could show, but it look's just like the pic angelridge posted. I would love if it would eventually cover her whole back like some of these horses (they are all beautiful by the way).

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, it has to have something to do with sabino
default_unsure.png
:

Back