Pictures of Lacing designs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
I shaved our new rescued boy only to find a surprise. :new_shocked: He has lacing marks strong on one side and what appears to be starting on the on the otherside.

He is four. Will this continue? Really pretty, I have just never seen it before.

Can anyone provide additional photos of miniatures with lacing patterns?? Really appreciated.

default_smile.png
Also interested....
default_wub.png
: lol.

Ash

Here is one of mine, I have 3. This is Little Mans Blue Babys Rowdy. The other 2 don't have as much, but they get a little more every year.

lacing.jpg

I read somewhere that some suspect that lacing is scarring caused by, possibly, rainrot. Has anyone else heard this? It is pretty whatever the cause.

One of the Equine Color websites has a page discussing this, with pictures......

While the source isn't known yet, there is a study being done on it. So far, all they know right now is that it is genetic.

Well, I sort of figured that one out myself. :eek: Because every descendent that we've owned of Bond Showboy has had some lacing. It's varied from a few white markings to the extensive webbing - like what's been pictured above.

MA

Is lacing always white?

I have a sorrel mare that appears to have the beginnings of lacing, the marks are blonde. I just noticed the marks with this year's shedding, she is two this year, she didn't have it before and has never had rainrot.

If you do a search on here for lacing there was a photo in a past post of a colt that had blonde lacing.

I read somewhere that some suspect that lacing is scarring caused by, possibly, rainrot. Has anyone else heard this? It is pretty whatever the cause.

I had a mare that developed Lacing and not she never had rain rot -- she was one of my breeding and it appeared as she matured...

While rainrot can cause white-haired scarring.....it does not appear in a "pattern" as lacing does.

True "lacing" has been proven to be genetically passed down in some families...but the jury is still out on what gene actually causes it. Some think it's associated with Pinto, while others think it's associated with Appaloosa. The pattern itself does not usually appear at birth. The horse is usually older before the white hairs start appearing, and they will get more & more each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love lacing. First one I ever saw was at a show many years ago and on a black horse....similar to the one Tami pictured. Tried to buy that horse just for those markings. :bgrin
default_wub.png
:

Also known as giraffe markings.

My silver blue roan mare has lacing, but it's not white. Here's a picture of her.
mistyl.jpg

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: Awww, I wish my Cremello gelding had Champagne Lacing... that would be sooooo Cool
default_yes.gif
: . I love you guy's horses though they are gorgous
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Ash :bgrin

My silver blue roan mare has lacing, but it's not white.
For me, that would blow the "rainrot" theory right out of the water (not that I believed it anyway). Hair regrowth from scarring is usually white, not dark. Also, I have seen various horses appear in the showring with patchy coats caused by rainrot, and when the same horses are seen at a later date, those patches have not turned white. Rather, the patches have grown out, and the horse's correct coat can be seen once again.

My 2 year old is getting lacing. He is a grulla and already has more of the pattern than last year. I had a steward at an AMHR show tell me it might be scarring from worm migration. I knew that wasn't the case (most organized worms ever...artists really) but it's interesting what people think.

Firstclip2yo5_resize.jpg

I have 2 Rowdy grandsons and both are bays with white lacing. The lacing started to appear when they were about 2 years old and expands a little each year. I was told by the breeder that it's a Rowdy bloodline trait. (Mine have never had rain rot.)

This is our new rescued boy and the lacing I was talking about. He has hardly any lacing on the opposite side, but it looks like the lacing is starting. He is four and I was wondering if the lacing continue to grow as he gets older? :eek:

smokeylacing.jpg

Here is my Appaloosa mare, Sabrina. Hers is roany.

SabrinaColor.jpg

Latest posts

Back