Phuemabort-K shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always given my pregnant mares the shots at 5, 7 and 9 months - just did my one pregnant mare the other day. And no, I have never had problems.

Liz R.

I personally hae never been a fan, and do not use them, however, now I am in a qunadry with them.

I sold a mare earlier this year to a friend of mine, who is big into vaccinating, and has given the mare her five and seventh month shots already. Her and her husband have dedcided to move up to Tenn, so the mare will come back home to me, (which I am delighted about as it killed me to let this mare go)

Would it do the mare any damage to Stop giving the shots and not continue with the sequence? Or would it be better to continue on with them?

We have always given them to our big horses and minis, and the only problem we had was last year we had a mare that kept getting a small swelling on her neck where she was given the shots.

Spottedponygirl, in my unprofessional opinion, it won't cause her any problems to not receive the final shot.

I used to give them, but I don't any more. I've not seen any difference. I have a closed herd though, at least after show season is over. My mares get their 5-way vaccinations about a month before they foal, in order to build up immunities to pass on to the foal, and that's it, though they have had WNV shots while pregnant as well. I just don't like poking them with needles more than I feel is necessary.

Giving vaccinations is a very personal decision, and IMO it is best to do what YOU personally feel is best. If it terrifies you to have your horses get a certain vaccination, then don't give it. If you feel more secure if the horses get that vaccination, then do give it.

Just did mine today. I have given them for years with no apparent problem aside from some local reactions on a few mares. I have one mare who reacts to all shots, so we generally give her banamine at the same time. I do think it's a personal decision, and from the responses here it obviously works both ways. I haven't given the last 9th month shot the last year or so, but will probably continue to do the 5 and 7.

Jan

Latest posts

Back