Phuemabort-K shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesa

Reaction score
My mare is 5 months along, and I have heard good and bad about giving the phuemabort-K shots at 5,7, & 9 months. Could I hear some of your comments about this, as I have the vet coming next week to give her the shot, and am a little nervous about it. I have heard that some horses have aborted a few days after the shot, and I would be devastated if that happens.

[SIZE=14pt]I used to give them and had some problems with a mini and an arab mare aborting the next day. My vet says that when you only have a few mares it really isnt that important but for the big say race horse farms etc where there a re a couple hundred mares and they dont get daily attention that is where they need it. I only have 4 -5 mares in foal every year.... I vaccinate the show horses EXTREMELY well so they dont bring anything home and we are the only farm within several miles so contact is so limited it is like having a closed herd. I havent given it in 10 years or more. All my horses get the regular shots tho twice a year.[/SIZE]

Lyn

we are giving it for the first time this year as we had 3 late term abortions last year. One fetus was tested for Rhino and was negative but we are going to give it anyway. The university told me that the myth about the shot causing abortion is just that a myth. they say the horse would have aborted anyway and its just a coincedence that it happened after the shot. Im not sure. But im going to try it as my heart was broken last year with all those abortions.

You will get many different answers and yes of course if you have an open herd or live near someone else with a open herd (which can mean something as simple as trail riding) then it is more important.

I have had the same percentages over all giving and not giving however .. most vets I talked with seem to agree the 9th month for whatever reason seems to be the month to give and do nothing to them. When i give it we give it at 2,4,6,8 months and then they get there pre foaling shots at 10 months.

So, what is the normal time range to give the shots? I'm seeing different things listed...so is it a matter of preference? Or is there a rule that you give it at 3, 5, 7, 9???? Lisa, I see you give it more often, or just on a different sequence.

We're giving it for the first time this year and I'm still leary. I only give it because my vet fusses so much...and I certainly don't want to loose a mare and a foal....

I agree with Lynn that show horses or ones that come and go are vacinated with everything. I was religious about pneumabort with my paint horses and never had problems. Sedeh had a mare abort the next day after giving last year and another mare looked bad afterwards but held the foal. I haven't used pneumabort for a couple years and probably won't again.

I don't use them and have not had any problems either. I haven't had any abortions at all (knock on wood) besides one old mare a long time ago that had a problem and thinking back- back then I was giving the shots at 5, 7,9 months, so??

Any bred mares sold I ask the new owner what they want and if they want them vaccinated then I will.

All show horses are UTD on everything all year as they are here there and everywhere, meeting and getting exposed to who knows what.

I am one of them if it ain't broke don't fix it.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like Erica, since I asked for her advice!
biggrin.gif
I was having a horrible time with late term abortions----three in one year! I only had one baby survive that year. I was following my vet's advice of 5,7, and 9 months. Soooo after changing things up and not giving those shots to my mares I have not had any problems. (knock on wood) The abortions were all within a couple of weeks of the last shot, not within days.

I'm not an expert as I've only bred our mare twice, but have given her the

5,7, 9 month scheduled shots the past two years.

The first year she got a sore neck on the first of the series.

We went to giving her the shots in her behinder. The doc said there

is no difference but many vets don't like doing them there, lest they get

kicked......

However this past foaling year, 2005, she had a episode, the afternoon

after she had the 5 month shot of shaking/shivering and broke out in

a heavy sweat.

Vet wasn't available. It passed after about an hour, plus, and she was

fine after. Shot related? - I don't know for sure.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do it again this year, not because of the

reactions but I'm not positive she is bred......she hasn't come back into heat

but she'd not in her normal mood as she has been previously when pregnant.

She's a bit owly, more like being unbred...... Vet is coming Tuesday and we'll decide then to go ahead or not with the pneumobort schedule.

We haven't given the shots for the past 10 or so years and have only had 2 late term losses since then before that it was a yearly thing to loose the foals between 7 and 10 months with the shots so we just stopped.

As Kathi mentioned. I had one mare abort the day after getting her pneumobort-K last year. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not but I have a small herd and are all well vaccinated so this year I'm not giving the pneumobort-K. I never had any problems with it in my big horses.

Yes i do it when i do it on a difference sequence so the mares get nothing at all in there 9th month which is thought to be a most dangerous month for whatver reasons.

I too was very concerned about this shot. I saw a thread like this when I first came on. I'm a first timer with mini breeding. I told my vet the concerns with aborting after the shot he said not possible. Just like kaykay said. He recommends 5,7,9. I've done the 5. Kathy

I have always given those shots at the 5th, 7th, & 9th month (altho, I will occassionally miss one)
rolleyes.gif
And, I've never had any problems whatsoever with abortions. The only mare I've ever had who aborted, did so at 3 months...before getting any of her Pneumabort shots.

We used to give these shots faithfully, but we keep losing babies. A friend said not to give them, we stopped and haven't had any more problems losing babies. We give there normally vaccines and that is all.

We haven't given these shots yet and probably wait till we have a problem. Freind of ours gave her mare shots(vet gave them "said she would likely lose any foals with out them") Mare almost died after one of the shots and aborted as well.

We give them. Our vet recommends it.

Nope we dont give them. The last one we had abort was my mare almost 4 years ago. And she had taken a great fall in the pasture before she aborted, so figured it was that.

After having various mares abort late term over the years, some after giving vaccinations, I don't vaccinate ANY mare for ANY thing the last trimester. There may not be a problem with a particular vaccine, but any one that causes a mare's temperature to rise may be enough to kill a fetus. This certainly may not be what works for everyone, but it has been the best decision here. All the show horses are vaccinated every 8 weeks for Rhino/Flu, so that decreases the chance that my mares will get that.

Latest posts

Back