pH question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
When testing my mare 's fluid for pH and Calcium, a question has come to my mind, so thought I would ask you folks here -

pH was testing in the 7.2 range then started to drop. Calcium was up to 100. pH went down as far as 6.4 then suddenly shot up to 8.0-8.4 It has been in the high range for several days. During that time, she had significant signs of foaling, but has not yet. The tests strips I have access to now only test pH - I am out of the Ca ones.

What is your experience with pH shooting up high quite suddenly- actually within about 8 hrs? Is a change is a change, or does the pH always drop low right before foaling?

The pH always drops before foaling, usually within 24 hours.

Thanks for your comments! Yes- sneaky is the word! This gal is at 340 days today and I am just hoping this foal gets here soon!

I checked the mare's pH at noon and it was 8.4 Then again at 6 pm- it has dropped to 7.2 It will be interesting to see if it plummets fast like yours did, Castle Rock.
default_smile.png
We are at day 341.

Latest posts

Back