Foal Time (now called Maybe Baby) Strips vs. Pool Strips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I have a mare that was bred by a previous owner so I do not have breeding dates however she is bagged and very loose in the rear end and is dropped.

My question is, I tested her with the maybe baby strips and got a 6.8ph reading and with the standard pool strip testing I got a 7.8ph.

I used the regular pool strip testing on my other mares this year and they were spot on, when their ph dropped it showed and I had my foal within 12 hrs with both of those girls.

My question being, why am I getting two different results? I don't want to be up all night every night for weeks thinking the maybe baby strips are right......?

Any and all help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only used pool strips, so my guess is that one is more sensitive than the other?

I like the Foal-time Strips (now called Maybe Baby), but you must make sure that you read the result immediately. Drop the drop on the strip and read it. If you wait to read it, you will get a different result as the strip "dries" in the air.

If you got the 6.8 result after reading the strip right away, I would go with that reading, as I think they are pretty sensitive strips and I used them for several years with really good results.

Okay I will go by the maybe baby aka foal time strips. ....

I'm guessing the humidity is effecting them? I noticed that before I could even get the drop on the pool strips it was beginning to slightly change and I think it is effecting the results.....can humidity effect the pool strips readings and make them wrong?

She is dropped and has a very soft rear and since I have no info on her past foaling I will just treat her like a maiden and trust the 6.8 result.

She's been eating like crazy for the past week.....eating everything in sight and tonight she picks at the grain, walks circles for a while, picks at the hay, walks circles, takes a break in the middle of the stall and starts the routine all over again so I think we are making some progress.

Anyone else have any input?

And yes, I did read the result instantly, it was instilled into me by my friend you have to read results right then

Latest posts

Back