perfect dog training DVD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
Saw an ad on Tv for DVD called perfect Dog Anybody used it and critique?Always looking for more help with training

if it's the same one i'm thinking about, it shows dogs miraculously trained in less than 10 minutes or something ridiculous like that. if it's too good to be true.....;)

I really like jack and Wendy volhard..they have Dvds on amazon...such as " living with your dog" and I enjoy Ian Dunbar from Sirius dog training and he too has Dvds available for all sorts of training levels for all ages of dogs. Not familiar with the one you mentioned. I have had several clinics with Ian Dunbar and the volhards and they have a wonderful non aggressive approach to dog training for both puppies and older dogs. Really should be called owner training than dog training and it is learning a way of life of how dogs think and respond. I have never viewed these videos I mentioned and don't know how good they are..I just admire the trainers. I would suggest you check out youtube for some Sirius dog training clips for specific exercises rather than purchase dvds. I will look later and see if can find some training aids for you if u want. Is there a specific issue you want to address and is it a puppy or adult dog? If you share what you are looking g for in Training I might be able to help. Ps. If you read..thebook..what all good dogs shoulder know.. by jack volhard and melissa bartlett is great. Cheers. Ps that book is my all time favorite training aid and a musthave for all dogowners. Highly recommend the book. Love it

Last edited by a moderator:
My rescue Shepherd(aka Money Pit)Duke(has Pannus among other trips to the vet for various things)pulls when on leash to go out to his yard he's in while I'm turning out horses.He wears a rolled leather collar with his ID and microchip tag.Don't let him go without ID since he would probably take off if out of fenced area(loves to chase things and we've got lots of rabbits.He does not pull with prong collar on, but I don't like to use it every day.We have lots of lessons to learn but this is 1 of the top ones.He also barks loudly and crowds me at the door when someone knocks.Haven't corrected him too much since it is tourist season and I'm on the main road from the beach.Lots of drunks and people running out of gas and other issues.I got him for protection and he is doing his job eagerly.He will be a work in progress as long as he lives, but he is such a love bug.He comes over and puts his head in my lap to be rubbed and loved.

Firstly I would say I do not object to using a prong collar if you really need it. After a trip across the yard on my face behind a doberman and when he broke my hand taking me around the tree on that trip and the second time when he exposed tendons on 8 of my 10 fingers, I said to myself.. yep, I can use a prong for control. If you feel guilty, try it on your leg and pull, it really doesn't work by causing pain, but rather imitates the scruff grab of a mommy dog and it gives a correction all the way around the neck rather than banging on the trachea from the front with a buckle collar. You can train with the prong and then work up to using a martingale which is half nylon and half chain and adjustable. If he doesn't test the prong or pull with it, then you are not hurting or desentising him at all either. Prong is self correcting. We call it the religous collar because it makes an instant convert out of most pulling dogs. It is not to replace training but can be a useful aid. My rescue basset came close to pulling me down, I used the prong on him for a couple of weeks and now he doesn't need it anymore and we use the martingale.

For the door barking....Put him on a collar and lead. Set him up.... have a friend knock. You let him bark a couple of times, then say "shush". If he quiets, he gets an immediate reward praise and treat. You place him in a sit... and tell person to come in... Keep dog on leash in the house until you have control and especially when answering the door. Until trained for door safety, I do not open door without dog on lead. You can teach manners and not lose your dogs protection ability. Actually the more you train and bond with your dog, the more you can rely on them to protect you. It helps to have a "door knocking" friend help you with the balistic doggie at the door syndrome. Get your dog to look at you when the knock occurs, Knock... treat... work on attention so your dog does not rush the door but rather looks at you for what you want him to do. I lecture my friends that get a dog for protection but think if they work on being friendly and in control they will lose the protection. it is not so.

Many years ago I had a dobie named Max. Max loved everybody. My neighbor and I were having an arguement about whether Max would protect me given he was sooooo friendly to everybody. I said. "max would know the difference".. Neighbor says "but I pet Max, and he wouldn't be afraid of me, should I attack you... " ... back and forth argue on whether my dog would see this person as a threat... Then I turned to put my key in my door and the neighbor (to make his point) rushed at me aggressively like he was going to attack me. Max jumped at him, grabbed his hand, snarled and backed away and sat on my feet and glared at the guy. I made my point.. and Max NEVER let that guy pet him again. Found out later the schmuck was a wife beater....

Another case and point... GSD Jet. Very social highly trained. My brother was visiting and doing some work on my house. Since he was invited in, Jet was nice and happy and ok with him... My brother left and I went upstairs. Brother forgot tools and came back in without knocking. Jet body blocked him at the door... Brother says "stupid dog, I was just here" and trys to come in, and dog growls and stands his ground. I hear comotion down stairs and tell my brother to stand still, and I get control of Jet and while my brother is telling me how stupid my dog is, I tell him... "Jet didn't know you were my brother, all he knew was that the guy was not invited in the second time" , since he knew I had once invited the guy in is probably the only reason my brother didn't get bit, but dog knew something wasn't right and he stood his ground. Dogs are super smart. In my brothers case, smarter than the human. haha.

I would highly encourage you to go places with your dog, work in the prong for now.. and get your dog social and bonded to you. Loose lead walking, meet and greets if you think your dog can handle it, take your dog to the feed store and walk around and hang out. Best wishes... If you want to write some specific questions.. I can try to help from here:) In public I either put a bandana over my prong or I get a hair scrunchie and cut it in half and slide the prong inside the scrunchie and then put it on. Get control and your goal can be to one day not need the prong, but don't feel guilty if you need it. Nobody deserves to be pulled down by an enthusiastic dog. I promise when fitted correctly it doesn't hurt and actually if you do the "collar on the leg test" a simple choker collar pinches like the dickens and leaves a mark on my leg. I test everything I would ever use on my dog... Remind me to tell you the story about me testing a shock collar on myself. LOL, almost peed my pants and it did NOT ever go on my dog and made me totally hate invisible fencing. You can work with two leads during the transition and just use the prong for an "emergency brake" too. Be sure you are putting it on right, nothing worse than only having it partially hooked and seeing your dog take off across the field and you are holding all the equipment in your hand. best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back