Peggy's First CDE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy Porter

Reaction score
My first experience at a CDE was wonderful! After the four hour haul to Edinburgh, IN, I settle Sundance Kid in his stall, and attend the driver's meeting/fish fry dinner. Next I bum a ride and tour the marathon course and hazards. At this point, I am having SERIOUS doubts about this whole thing being a good idea!! Not only is 5.5K alot longer that I had imagined, but there is a hill in the second K that seems to go straight up about a million yards! My new-found friends all assure me that this is really fun and that I really can do it, but I am really stressing at this point. After a restless night in the trailer tack room, Saturday morning dawns bright and cool, with a nice breeze and low humidity. It's going to be a great day for driving. After tending to Kid's breakfast, I do some shopping at the Camptown Harness tent. Marjean is very cordial, especially since she is not yet officially open. I pick up a beautiful patent number holder and a marathon card holder, and make plans to bring Kid back for a fitting of the Freedom Collar. I am scheduled for the first dressage slot after lunch, so I pass on the sloppy joes in the event tent, and harness, hitch, and make the safety check on time. I perform my dressage test exactly as I have been practising it- WRONG!! Our judge, Mary Ruth Marks, is very nice explaining to me the error of my ways, I correct the course, and complete the test. I scored mostly 6s and 7s, with a comment of "nice pony" and "good basics". YAY! I even got a 9 on presentation, so I guess we at least looked good!
ICDE078.jpg
We are 4th out of 5 after dressage. Cones is a nice, flowing course, with only one tricky cloverleaf type section and a nice wooden bridge option.
IMG_0919.jpg
We have one ball down, but a few time faults, because I am a little concerned about wearing my horse out before the marathon phase. I am really not sure if I have conditioned him enough, and more than a little nervous about that big hill! We have now dropped to 5th after cones. Back to the Camptown tent, where Marjean fits Kid with a demo Freedom Collar and tells me to drive around and test it out. I like the way it fits with my wooden pleasure cart, but I have also brought my new CDE cart from Itebte. After swapping carts, it's back to Marjean for more fitting. She graciously offers me to use it on marathon Sunday, and even punches a new hole to fit it properly. She also loans me some longer breeching straps, because the footmans loops are really far forward on the Itebte. I can't get over how generous Marjean is! Kid takes a nap in harness while we are discussing the fit and finish of the Itebte (which attracted quite a bit of attention), and then I put him away for a well deserved break. My good friend Jan and I tour the marathon and hazards twice more, then it's off to dinner with her husband, Dave. Jan was originally planning to compete also, but due to some issues with her young mare, has decided to come as a spectator. Lucky for me! She was my groom,my advisor, my header, my cheerleader, and my therapist for the weekend! Next year she'll be sure to bring her horse-it will be alot less work! After dinner, I spend about an hour in front of Kid's stall coloring the hazard diagrams and practising my planned routes. Some nice quiet time with my little guy. After an almost sleepless night, I make the decision to stick with the cart I have driven for several years, and put the Itebte back in the trailer. There will be lots of time to tweak the fit and get used to the way it drives, and I need the comfort level of the cart I am familiar with. The butterflies in my stomach are the size of Boeing 747s! The sun is up, the weather is cool, and the VSE go first out on course. I check in early for section A, and chit chat a few minutes with the other VSE whips and the volunteers. Everyone is so friendly, and they all tell me how much fun this is, like a nice trail drive in the country. I am still freaking out, thinking about that monstrous hill! Then it's our time to go, we are counted down, and on our way. Section A is uneventful (I remember to go through each gate), we pass vet check, and head to the start of section E. Another short wait, then the countdown, and we start off at a nice ground covering trot. Kid really enjoys trail driving, so he's very happy to be out in the woods. We approach the first hazard, his ears go up, and we drive it just like I planned! YAY! Back out to the trail and next up: the dreaded hill! As we exit the woods, the hill looms straight up in front of us, with a trail going both left and right at it's base. I can feel Kid ask "left or right, Mom?" and I answer "Get up, babe!" I swear I hear him say "Oh, s*@t!" just before he scrambles up the hill! YAY! The rest of the course flies by, we drive each hazard as I planned, and I am having so much fun that I can't remember if I did every hazard. After about 4.5K, Kid starts to get tired, so I let him select his own pace. We accumulate a few time penalties for 2 minutes over, but we do FINISH, and we trotted the whole way! Flapping tarps, whirling pinwheels, flowers, blowing flags, apparent dead-ends, super-size hills... nothing fazed my little guy! I am soooo proud of him! I cross the finish line screaming "we did it! We finished!" After a nice cool down walk back to his stall, I return the Freedom Collar to Marjean and order my own custom one. She's one smart saleswoman, I tell ya. Kid gets a new black betathane halter, and Jan and I head to the water hazard to watch the big guys and the four-in-hand splash through. Then it's time for the competitor's pork chop dinner and awards. I get a big pink ribbon, and I keep saying "we finished" like it's my new mantra. Have I mentioned how proud I am of my little home-trained horse? Unfortunately for him, I am totally hooked on this sport, and am eagerly awaiting our next chance to compete. Our motto then will be "Go hard, or go home!" So that's my story, aren't you sorry you asked??

Not sorry in the least!

We're a ways off before we tackle our first CDE, so I have to live vicariously for now...thanks for taking us along for theh ride!

Now that you're home, have you tried your Itebte cart? Please be sure to post a review, complete with photos.

Sounds good, really good.

(Green with envy she heads towards her three year old muttering "Why has the BDS not heard of VSE's??")

Congratulations on a successful day!!! I enjoyed reading every word of it :bgrin

Oh Peggy, I'm so glad you posted this before I left for the weekend! I was grinning and laughing the entire way through your story because your joy in competition and in your horse was obvious. I love it! :aktion033:

It sounds like you did a fantastic job and next time you'll know that a few minutes on a cones course isn't going to wear your little guy out. I wrapped my boy in cotton wool the same way the first year and wiser competitors laughed at me so hard!
default_rolleyes.gif
: It didn't matter, I thought he needed it and stuck to my guns. Then you get them really conditioned, find out what they're capable of, and suddenly understand why people were teasing you! Hehehe. :bgrin Isn't Marjean great? I hope you enjoy your new FC and that you post pictures soon. I like the new outfit you're sporting too, it looks very professional.

rabbitsfizz said:
Sounds good, really good.(Green with envy she heads towards her three year old muttering "Why has the BDS not heard of VSE's??")
If they haven't heard of them, then hadn't you better print out a few of these stories and send them to the BDS?
default_whistling.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Good job Peggy!

Leia

aaack! All this and NO pics of the IteBte??? Come on now, that is just wrooong!! I want one of those vehicles and it is killing me!

Congrats on your first CDE. I am quite sure there will be a lot more of them in your future!!

-Amy

Sounds wonderful good for you how exciting YOU FINISHED!!!!!!

That sounds WAY COOL!

I can hardly wait to try my hand at it.

Your account was too funny. THANK YOU so much for posting.

:aktion033: Peggy....that was a great write-up! And what I loved...not only your infectious enthusiasm for your horse and his welfare, but that you told the real story...that we don't ALWAYS WIN! And that's OK!! It gives us something to strive for and just finishing is the real WIN!!
default_smile.png
I'm so glad you wrote this as I'm still trying to figure out when my first CDE attempt will occur. I only have an easy entry with air tires....but I do have a nice padded competition harness finally. One thing at a time I guess.
default_smile.png

Question...was it overwhemling knowing where to be and when...like for all the checks? (safety, etc?) Did you know those would occur and be expected and when they would occur beforehand? If so, did you learn from books or video's or others accounts of their experience? Or have you attended CDE's before and know from that?

Thanks again!

Jenna and Zappy :saludando:

Oh Peggy - that was wonderful -- I could imagine the whole thing -- and I know exactly the BIG HILL you are talking about --- it blew me away too!! Am so envious that your guy did all the hazards -- and so proud of both of you as well. I hope to give you some competition next year out there -- won't let Platinum get so fat this winter.. Great write up -- you should submit that to AMHR or AMHA or both for the magazines!!

Congratulations on your placing 5th on your very very first time! That is so very super.

See you at the National Drive.

JJay

Hello,

I don't live far from Edinburgh. Do they have these CDE events there on a regular basis?? Do you know when the next one will be??

John

Last edited by a moderator:
oh boy Peggy that was a great story and i don't know why but you have me in tears... i guess it's the enthusiasm and obvious love you have for your horse! wish i had someone that knew how to drive! i AM working on it... but time and weather make it SLOW :eek:

anyway GREAT STORY
default_wub.png
:

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words!

Amy- I hopefully will be getting some photos from my friend Jan of the Itebte cart and the Freedom Collar, and also the FC and my pleasure cart on Marathon. I will be sure to post them.

Jenna- You can use your air-filled tires at training level CDE. I don't think anyone at Indiana had them, but it is my understanding that you can use them. The volunteers were extremely helpful. I basically just told everyone that this was my first time, and they all pointed things out to me. The program had lists of times in it, and maps of everything, so it wasn't too hard to be where you were supposed to be. This is known as a very beginner-friendly location. My friend Jan also asks lots of questions, so she was invaluable to me.

JJay- You are one of the reasons I had the courage to try this CDE. Thanks for all your words of encouragement! See you at the National Drive!

John- To my knowledge, there is only one CDE at Edinburgh each year, over the Labor Day weekend. It is a massive undertaking, and all run by volunteers. Check out their website: www.IWWI.org for info on the CDE and other fun stuff they do. I attended a "playday" at this same location in July, which was also a great learning experience.

Painted Promise- I taught my horse how to drive by myself with a book from the library! I always say that I spent the next 10 years teaching him how to do it correctly! VBG! I joined two carriage clubs near me, joined several Yahoo groups, read this forum alot, and printed out lots of info from minihorsecde.com, cde4vse.com, and regencyminis.com A mentor is a great idea, but so many of us are not near anyone who can help us in person. I have lots of cyber-friends to help me along the way.

WOW! Congratulations on your first event! I still haven't made it to one and am chomping at the bit. My poor Chamomile won't know what hit her when we do our first I'm sure :bgrin She's just used to doing parades!

It sounds like you did a wonderful job of training your little guy! I can't wait to see more pictures!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Peggy, that was awesome to read!! :aktion033: Sounds like you and your little guy had a LOT of fun!

And yes, I too want to see the IteBte and FC :D

Jenna, go for it! You've got everything you need...an easy entry with pnematic tires is just fine at Training level.
default_yes.gif
:

I was grinning at the end when you talked about crossing the finish line--what a neat image, and it is clear that both of you had a great time! And next time you will know what the course is like, so you'll be even better! :bgrin

I still have my ribbon from the first CDE I entered with my gelding--I treasure it, just as I'm sure that one is going to be treasured(because of the memories associated with it).
default_wub.png
:

And your horse looks lovely, as does your turnout--good job training him! He is obviously a happy and calm drive.

Peggy,

Great write up. I was right there with you! I know what you mean about those hills, they are scary! I just did my first CDE in July and have another one in October. Can't wait! Good idea getting the Freedom Collar. They are a lot easier on these little guys. I think I need to go ahead and order one right now!

Congrats,

Diane in OR

Back