Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to watch them all but could only view the 1st and last. It says the others have been removed. I knew this went on but it really hits you when you see the animals that are suffering because of it. I am honestly sick to my stomach. The sad thing is it isn't just dogs it's anything that can be bred and a profit made.

Thank you, I may as well watch the rest while I am still feeling sick
default_sad.png

That started my holiday off on a sad broken hearted approach. I've been told and noticed myself that if you want a good healthy dog without all the physical problems get a mutt. Now I truly understand why. Bubba is a cross breed mutt and so is Diego, Freddie, and now Teddie. They seem to be happy and healthy over and above how Rodney was.

He was a pedigree Bichon Frise.

When will humans learn to truly enjoy what God gave us and quick trying to make it perfect?

I've been told and noticed myself that if you want a good healthy dog without all the physical problems get a mutt.
Sadly, that is not a true statement, neither is the statement that ALL purebred dogs have issues. Though yes, I agree there are certain purebred dogs I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole because of health issues but just because the dog is a 'mutt' doesn't mean that it is going to be any healthier.

I own a mutt, and I breed purebred dogs......I can tell you which is the healthier animal, and it isn't the mutt. I have no idea what breeding is behind my mutt, she was a drop off at the local vet clinic that I took home with me.

I don't like statements like this that ALL purebred dogs are horrible, but 'mutts' or 'designer dogs' are the way to go....ALL of them have their issues. If a mutt comes from parents with health issues, that mutt is still going to be carrying those health issues......

Maybe the focus should be better educating 'new comers' into the different breeds (designer dogs included) so that the resulting puppies are healthier.

~kathryn

Anoki,, I agree with you. Just like any other breed of animals...there are good breeders and bad uncaring breeders. I have been dog shopping for awhile. There are some that have 2 to 7 year genetic health guarantees! Most have been breeding for awhile and are very picky about what they breed.

I was hoping to get a Corgi with the breeding Anoki has..local but the only breeder that I know of in Oregon...has stopped breeding her Corgis because they are getting on in years.

Mutts are not "always" more healthy that purebreds. I have a mutt orange cat, Sadie... and she has stifle problems! Fairly rare in cats but it does happen...she is a mutt.

Best thing a person can do is their homework. If you like a breed of dog find one that testes neg for what ever disease or problems seen in that breed and find a breeder that guarantees that.

Mutts are a very small part of what was being discussed on the videos. It was more about how breeders, top breeders, aren't and won't test their dogs and how some breds are being destroyed by this. Best in breed winning dogs with several problems being allowed to sire countless litters, when they shouldn't in somes opinion even be allowed to show.

I wouldn't buy a show dog. Was talking about what I have seen......

Just like in the horse show circles, including mini's...some people will do anything to win. Again...just do your homework and stear clear from people like that.

All dogs can have genetic defects, purebred or mutt. All horses can have defects, registered or grade! I know there are puppy mills out there, so does everyone. Making a broad statement that all are good/bad, just isn't correct. And I see that someone says that some of them shouldn't show. I do not breed dogs, but I am not looking for a show dog when I buy one. I am looking for a healthy puppy that will be a companion to me, and my family. Show dogs aren't my thing. I just love pets. Watch out for the puppy mills, get a guarantee for genetic faults, and as in buying horses, do your homework, and best of luck to you.

I am not saying you are wrong with your thoughts on mutts or show dogs but saying you would have to watch the videos to understand what is happening to some breeds, show and pet quality.

horseplay, I was just commenting on the comment that Shortpig made about the videos being evidence of why 'mutts' are better than purebreds.

And as Shari said, doing your homework is FAR more important than what breed, or mutt you are buying.

Is there any difference between what was shown in those videos on showing/breeding or whatever of purebred dogs and what goes on with purebred horses???? man, there are some 'purebred' horses (miniatures included) that have SERIOUS health issues, but people just keep breeding and breeding because of the blood lines. I know of grade horses that are being bred because of their 'bloodlines', but because they are grade they are more willing to breed to anything, and suddenly all these horses are popping up with the same problem......

Actually, the first stud dog that I wanted to breed Moxie to, the breeder/owner was very upfront that he had a problem (a problem that can be bred around, but still it's a problem). I told them thank you for being honest about it (especially when it was my first time breeding), but I steered clear of that dog because of that issue. I don't think it needs to be carried on in the breed.

There are a lot of top winning dogs (AND HORSES!!!!) that do well, but it's up to the judges to pick the best in the ring....and if that dog doesn't exhibit (just carries) the problem, honestly how is the judge going to know? So then it is up to the breeders to educate the public about the issues within each breed. I'm not saying it's right to show or breed dogs (OR HORSES!!!!) that have problems, I'm completely AGAINST it in both areas, I'm just saying, how is the judge supposed to know that this particular dog (OR HORSE) has a problem if the animal is not exhibiting symptoms? Do you know what I mean? So unless the breeders (and clubs) educate about it......

Maybe I'm just a small percentage of thinkers.....but I get upset hearing comments that make educating the truth behind the matter that much harder......

I have no problem with the original post, except for the fact that it happens in more than JUST purebred dogs

~kathryn

Thanks to the response so far I will not watch it.

Why post this kind of stuff on the forum ??

I don't know, loveminis, why post anything on a forum?
default_wacko.png

I will join in later. Right now I'm catching up after my morning Internet connectivity problems. I've also got dogs to groom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it happens in horses /cats and so on also. It is a documentary in 6 parts on youtube. It is about 60 minutes in total and too hard to explain, you would have to watch it to fully understand what they have found. It has nothing really to do with not buying purebreed dogs, show or not. loveminis the videos contain nothing but info. on the Kennel Club and has interviews with board memebers and breeders alike. I don't see why this shouldn't be posted here, why wouldn't you want to know about certain breeds and what to look for and questions to ask when looking to buy a dog. With out watching and knowing what the content is I can't see how you can say it doesn't belong here
default_frusty.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it's perfect forum posting, especially one in which a lot of us breed animals, be it horses, birds, dogs or goats.

The references to Hitler were interesting (I'm only on part 2 at this point) and certainly this is an editorialized production, HOWEVER, there are truths here that should not be ignored.

Just as we were discussing dwarfism and all, we are breeding animals against natural selection (breeding them to be smaller w/certain features at this point) and we should be careful with these things to keep the animals' health and quality of life/longevity in mind in doing so, just as we do with ourselves where possible.

IF we breed for a known deformity (let's say a dishy head), then we'd best be careful not to make it so extreme that it causes harm.

Anyway, I am finding it interesting, heart-breaking and a testament to the ego of man gone wild. It seems that at the top of this is a driving desire to "win" at all costs.

Yes, I do breed and I do show, however I would not accept a title in light of some of these heinous oversights and deliberate choices of poor breeding.

Pedigree is not everything, and to ignore the science behind inheritance is a terrible injustice to the innocent animals.

Liz

Well said Nootka, I agree with you completely. I have had a kennel for over 20 years and have bred Golden Retrievers in the past but always did health checks and would not breed any dog that didn't have a full range of clearances. Most of the puppies I produced went to family homes where the health and temperament are the most important. I only watched the first video, will watch the others when I have time, have to dig the potatoes and pick corn this afternoon. It doesn't do to bury your head in the sand, all information can be useful.

jmvho

Yvonne

Most people are trying to breed these problems out... just like dwarfism in minis. Some people are ignorant and continue breeding the dogs that aren't standard. It's just like any industry...

I have two purebred boxers. They are perfectly healthy. Buy from the right breeders. Research the dogs you get, before you get them.

I just have to point out that this documentary is someones opinion, they are going to take the worst case senario and present it as that is what is going to catch peoples attention.

I am a veterinary technician, and yes I have to agree that there are many hereditary traits that are less than desirable in many purebreds but are they really all as bad as this video makes them out to be?.... no. I have seen many a mutt come into the vet clinic with these same illnesses too so it is not just purebreds.

This happens in every species and breed, ex. HYPP in quarter horses, LWO in pinto patterned horses, dwarfism in miniatures, neurological issues in manx cats... I could give a big list!

The main thing is to educate yourself before you make a decision on purchasing, showing, and breeding. Question yourself and others to ensure you are doing the right thing by the animal not for yourself. It really comes down to morals and ethics, and not everyone has them!!!

Anyways thats just my opinion.

Also as an avid bully lover (bull terriers) The picture they called the "original bull terrier" was not that at all. It was actually a picture of the now extinct breed, the english white terrier.

You cant just take everyones opinion... one of the best pieces of advice given to me was thing everything through and think critically, question and form your own opinions.

Latest posts

Back