Weird Question~ Dog vs Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Taz

Reaction score
A couple things that haven't been mentioned, I think...I'm a little tired.
If you're keeping a mini at home they will need company, a dog has you for company.
You have experience with training dogs, do you have experience training horses? If not you need to factor in the cost of lessons.

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
Yeah, I have another dog that has the drive and stamina and would probably pull, but he is a hunting breed dog and follows his nose. Those sudden 90 degree turns at full speed are not conducive to good health. 🤣
I was thinking of that also. The breed of dog would be a big factor.

IowaPines

Reaction score
Yeah, I have another dog that has the drive and stamina and would probably pull, but he is a hunting breed dog and follows his nose. Those sudden 90 degree turns at full speed are not conducive to good health. 🤣
The most common bikejoring dogs are actually hunting breeds! German shorthairs being the most common of those. There's even some people who use sight hounds, though I wouldn't be brave enough for that lmao
A couple things that haven't been mentioned, I think...I'm a little tired.
If you're keeping a mini at home they will need company, a dog has you for company.
You have experience with training dogs, do you have experience training horses? If not you need to factor in the cost of lessons.
True! I didn't even think about the price of training.

IowaPines

Reaction score
Large breed dogs have a very short life span, 10-12 years, compared to 20-30+ years for a mini.
So their productive time would be pretty short just a few years, compared to a couple decades with a mini.

However, due to their size they tend to have joint issues, especially doing something like driving.

I don't know what the weight % is for dogs to pull, I'm sure that number would be like the minis, it all depends...level pavement/solid dirt...hilly dirt...grass...deep sand.

As for companionship, I absolutely LOVE my minis. The ones I take out boardjoring are awesome companions with the plus side that I don't have to worry about them wanting to go after another animal or human. (I see this often when out on public trails).
I belive it is around 3x their weight when pulling something with wheels for dogs. The short lifespan of dogs is less desierable but I think it evens out, as you can train the animal yourself, and the feed/vetting costs are typically lower over the span of the animals life.