Pair of mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Poole

Reaction score
Hi again all,

So I measured my little guy and he is actually 38" so not really a mini Shetland I believe?
However he isn't built like a standard Shetland. I think he is falabella cross.

His best friend is almost identical to him, infact I believe theyare related.
I've started his friend,Blue off with long reining and he used to come out on a leadrope when mine pulled the cart.
SO I am thinking to maybe start them as a pair.

How much weight roughly can a pair of 38" shetties pull on flat, good roads?

I've attached a photo of both ponies and the carriage I am thinking to get (please comment on that too!)
Carriage weighs around 60kg

Thankyou

And as one single Shetland pulling the carriage what do you think he could pull?

The standard rule is that they can pull:

On flat, good roads: 3x their own weight
on slight hilly roads: 2x their own weight
on muddy or very hilly roads: 1x their own weight

My recommendation is not to exceed 1,5x the weight of the horse. With this load, you can go faster and longer distances without having a bad conscience, but maybe your guests have to leave the cart if the road is going to be too steeply.
I think your pony is about 150 kg, so you can load this carriage with two adults or one adult and four smaller children.

I do the ADTs with a pair (sometimes 4) of 32"-33" miniatures. The carriage and two adults weighs around 500# and the horses have no issues at all pulling it. In fact my pair posted hazards times just a second or two behind a single mini that pulls a tiny person using a racing sulky!

My team (okay I borrow one horse from a friend) pulls a 170# wagonette similar in style to the one you posted. Then I get on, my son, and 2-3 other kids. Or my dad and the friend get on. So They pull a wagon/load of 450-550# with ease.

My single 36" mare will pull the 170# wagon on roads and up low hills no problem. She'll also pull it in the sand of the arena with just my son (55#) in it. My 32" mare pulls it on the roads as well with myself and a kid and keeps up with the bigger horses all day. I wouldn't ask her to pull any more than that or ask her to pull up any hills however.

Latest posts

Back