Passing on to the next generation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymini

Reaction score
I noticed there are a lot of over 55 year old mini owners/breeders out there and I was wondering what plans people had for when they needed to retire in 20 or so years. If you've got a breeding program you've worked hard to perfect is your family wiling to take it on or will you have to sell all your dream horses and hope they get used to their best potential? My kids are only little but i'm hopeing they'll be as enthusiatic about minis as I am.

We are in our 70's and the future is pretty murky, as far as what will happen with our horses.

I am hoping that when the time comes, I will have some notice, so that I can place my horses in homes that I choose, rather than an auction.

Our children have no interest in horses and of 6 grandchildren, only one is an animal lover.

So I guess our future is "sell and hope"
default_no.gif

My daughter is our 4th generation in horses. I had hoped for a 5th. However, that will probably not be. With the economy as it is, my daughter no longer breeds. We always bred sparingly, but with the price of everything in California, she can no longer afford the number of horses she had previously. She has sold all her Gypsies except one, who is 9 and never been bred. She still has the two Minis. The Mini mare will be placed and she will probably keep the gelding for driving. I bred and showed dogs and horses, almost all my life. Last week we put to sleep, the last dog from the last litter I ever bred. He would have been 17 in October. While both my granddaughters ride, I doubt they will have horses when they grow up. It's incredibly sad to think about.

One thing I will mention though, is that if you have animals of any kind, always talk to some trusted family member or friend who understand animals, about what will happen to them should you die suddenly. Choose a knowledgeable person. Put it in your will and make sure all know who will be in charge of the livestock, upon your death. Things happen. Sometimes people do die unexpectedly and family members who know no better or not wish for the responsibility of animals, dump horses in auctions and dogs and cats in the pound. Even if you are young, always make secure arrangements for your animals, in case something happens to you.

Lizzie

Well, I've spoken to one daughter that will find homes for my dogs, cats and pet bird. My youngest daughter will find homes for the horses with the exception of our elderly arabs if they outlive me. If they do outlive me they are to be put down, and buried on the farm. Any horses that my youngest daughter and grandson want to keep they can along with the farm. We are in the process of drawing up anew will now, becuase if I don't the kids will fight over everything and the farm and all that goes with it will need to be sold. Also my daughter-in-law is money hungry, but has no head for business, she'll want all the cash she can get. Out of five kids only the youngest has any interest in horse farming.

My grandfather is close to 80 and my grandmother in her early 70's. I will take over the farm when they pass, though i have stepped away from the minis for now.

I had to stop dead in my tracks and give it up due to my physical health and ongoing problems of what I've gone through regarding the death of my son as I was truly falling apart in every way. I sold most of my horses and only have 5 minatures left and my QH. Now being on a fixed income has come into play and I know my budget and my limits so there will be no more additions and hopefully no more subtractions if I can help it. I have provided a secure home for the rest of my horses should I croak and my senior citizen Quarter Horse shall be put to sleep at that time.

When I look outside at my horses I have to be realistic and realize most of my horses are very capable of outliving me and must be provided for. I have help "today" from my husband should I need it but I cannot see me being 70 or 80 years old out there cleaning feet and feeding, cleaning stalls at those ages and physically devoting the time and overall care horses deserve. The time for me to stop and make provisions already came.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have godparents for all of our animals except the chickens...I need to talk to my sister about them.

Ditto what Lizzie said about planning for your animals no matter whether you are young or old, because you just never know.

Because all are safe from the vagaries of life, I can relax. Nobody is leaving until they haul me out feet first. The day my horses leave is the day I die, whichever comes first.

You know those people that you hear about, that will everything to their cats. I wonder if you can really do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our daughter and I have already talked, since she is our main inheritor to everything. She wants to take over what ever animals we own. Should she still be underage when we both pass, our grown nephew has agreed to be her guardian. He is also an animal lover and familiar with our lifestyle.

Latest posts

Back