Palomino woes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaints

Reaction score
I am needing to find a way to better my palomino stallions color after he is clipped! when he sheds out, he is a rich color, just breath taking, but after clipping , he is nearly white!

here are some examples

cash2011004.jpg

this is him before. sorry about him not standing right, and his front right foot he was standing on a rock lol. i had a beginner handling him and they didnt know how to set him up

then the next day i clip, in prep for a show, about a month away

IMG_3515.jpg

this is with a #10 blade. such a pretty boy! but every one always thinks he is grey!! the next pic is about a week before the show..

cash2011009.jpg

and thats as good as his color gets after we clip!

we have tried paprika, BOSS, Gold as Sun, corn oil.. GAH im going nutso.

i was wondering what everyone else does, that has palominos that they clip. i know color is not as important as conformation, but many times most people think he is grey or white, and they dont belive he is palomino! lol

any suggestions?

As the season goes on, he should clip out more golden.

Ground flax seed can also really help to enhance gold colors.

My boy in my avatar was the same way. My only advice, clip early, let it grow in a bit and just do touch ups on the head, throat latch, lower legs. Some colors just do not do well when freshly clipped. The color isn't as washed out on the the second, third or fourth clips of the season, but it is still extremely difficult to get that rich deep golden tone and luster that comes with naturally shedding out or allowing the coat to grow back a bit after a clipping.

What blade are you clipping him in? Trying a longer clip may keep more color. Say a 10 instead of a 15. And clip earlier as stated, maybe 7 - 10 days before instead of 2-5 days.

we clip him with a 10. i guess i could clip him with a 5 but im worried that wouldnt be short enough. we also have previously clipped 2-4 weeks before.. but its like once i clip that color is gone, and it doesnt come back till next year

well, I don't have any suggestions but in dogs there is a coat color, sable I think? or fawn? maybe both. If I'm not mistaken it's like in a husky's hair but some other dogs have it too. Collies, shelties, poms, where the dark points migrate to the ends of the hair shaft and the base of the hair is almost white, it's not just the undercoat giving the dog that look but it does help accentuate it . It's located on the agouti loci Clipping these types of dogs totally alters the color, sometimes permanently because guard hairs are slower growing and should not be cut even with an undercoat. It is not recommended to clip these dogs at all. I wonder if something similar is going on with him? I'm just guessing but it sure makes you wonder...

We have a pal that we like to clip three weeks or more away from a show, then just redo the face. I've found with pals that the sun helps to bring the color back, where as with blacks you keep them out of the sun.

Latest posts

Back