Over weight mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
I have tried everything trying to get this weight off of her since last August. We had her bred to our stallion in 2006 and no foal, (but as some call it had a false preg. this time). We had her bred to an outside stallion last year...no foal took her to the vet, he said she probably would not get into foal because of her weight and also she is coming up on 18 yo,( I think). It seems like the more I diet and exercise her the bigger she gets!!! She is getting 3 ounces 2x a day 10% pellet feed, and 1.5 lbs bermuda at night and 1.5 lbs alfalfa in the am. Any help is very much appreciated! I know that you are not vets, so any advice given that I use is on me...Her she is when we bought her...

Bumble_Bee_June_18__2006.jpg

And these were taken today... the pics really do not show how large she really is... I know she is in her winter woolies, but trust me that is NOT all hair.

Bee01-2008004.jpg

Bee01-2008001.jpg

Bee01-2008007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I do not think she looks all that fat at all but I am no vet.... Hopefully someone will be able to give you some good answers
default_smile.png

I also do not think she looks fat in these photos. If you have concerns about her being overweight- check her thyroid and keep her off feeds with molasses.

Peggy

I do not see an obese horse here either. In the shadow it looks like her tummy hangs pretty good. Are you positive she is not bred?

The amount of food you are feeding her is minimal, are you actually weighing it on a scale or is your hand your scale? Personally, I dont have any horses that eat that little, even the little ones.

Do you have a side shot of her? If she did take to the stallion, how far along would she be?

I am not meaning to sound sarcastic, so please dont take it that way.

In my opinion this mare does not look overweight, especially considering she is approx. 18 years old. I think she is in very good condition - though not show condition with a tucked tummy and such, however what do you think for an 18 year old mare in pasture condition..

The amount of food she is getting is a minimal for her needs..

I'd get with your vet and do more testing to figure out why she is not getting in foal.

I do think she does look fat (however she looks only in good condition to me, maybe a teeny bit fat, which to me is no problem at her age and job description, in the pic from when you first got her), even in her winter coat I can see the bulge on either side of her spine.

If you can feel it, that's all the evidence I need.

I would think you should consult your vet, as he may want to do some blood test to rule out metabolic disorders. The only thing I can think is to replace the alfalfa with a moderate-quality hay (as in not too rich), and keep her dry-lotted so that you control what she's getting and how much.

If she is getting that little feed, it seems that there may be something going on that she needs medication for (and that may be in turn contributing to her inability to get into foal).

Good luck....

Liz

I do think she does look fat (however she looks only in good condition to me, maybe a teeny bit fat, which to me is no problem at her age and job description, in the pic from when you first got her), even in her winter coat I can see the bulge on either side of her spine.

If you can feel it, that's all the evidence I need.

I would think you should consult your vet, as he may want to do some blood test to rule out metabolic disorders. The only thing I can think is to replace the alfalfa with a moderate-quality hay (as in not too rich), and keep her dry-lotted so that you control what she's getting and how much.

If she is getting that little feed, it seems that there may be something going on that she needs medication for (and that may be in turn contributing to her inability to get into foal).

Good luck....

Liz
She was ultrasounded last Sept. (open) She never lost the weight she gained when we thought she was in foal. Vet said if she does not lose the weight by spring to bring her back for blood tests. (Maybe a diabetic) She has been on a dry lot since last Sept. As I said the pics do not show her true size. When she lays down she has a hard time getting back up... She is on a reg worming schedule also. Reo has seen this mare also. She IS over weight. I am afraid she will founder if I can't get this under control..

I do not see an obese horse here either. In the shadow it looks like her tummy hangs pretty good. Are you positive she is not bred?

The amount of food you are feeding her is minimal, are you actually weighing it on a scale or is your hand your scale? Personally, I dont have any horses that eat that little, even the little ones.

Do you have a side shot of her? If she did take to the stallion, how far along would she be?

I am not meaning to sound sarcastic, so please dont take it that way.
default_wink.png
No sarcasim taken!!! She is not bred, OMG, OMG, OMG !!!! could the ultra sound have been wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! She was sounded Oct. 27,2007 And I beleive she was bred July 2007. I never even noticed the tummy in the shadow!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
She probably is not bred then. I just do not see a horse that I would be concerned about weight from these pictures. I see a nice plump horse, not thin by any means but perhaps the pictures are not showing what you see. I have an older 30" mare here that I feed 2 cups of non sweet feed, and 1.5-2 pounds of alfalfa twice a day depending on the temps. When it is cold I feed more hay. She just maintains with that.

I think if you are that concerned and others in the know have seen her and tell you shes fat, then get the blood tests done on her. If it is thyroid or diabetic then you need to treat it. If you have any hopes of getting her bred, and she has either of these ailments your chances are pretty slim you will succeed.

Let us know what you decide to do and what you find out.

I am in agreement with the others here. This mare does not look fat, in fact she looks really good for a 18 year old brood mare, in my opinion. I would have the blood work done and go from there. I believe something else is working against you when it comes to her breeding.

default_wink.png
No sarcasim taken!!! She is not bred, OMG, OMG, OMG !!!! could the ultra sound have been wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! She was sounded Oct. 27,2007 And I beleive she was bred July 2006. I never even noticed the tummy in the shadow!!!!

MY PARENTS HAD A MARE ULTRASOUNDED AND WHERE TOLD THE MARE WAS NOT IN FOAL. ABOUT TWO MONTHS BEFORE SHE FOALED IT WAS VERY APPARENT THE ULTRASOUND RESULT WERE WRONG. I DID NOT KNOW THAT COULD HAPPEN TILL THEN. I AM ALSO TO EXPERT BUT SHE DOES NOT LOOK OBESE TO ME..... GOOD LUCK, CRYSTAL
default_smile.png

default_wink.png
No sarcasim taken!!! She is not bred, OMG, OMG, OMG !!!! could the ultra sound have been wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! She was sounded Oct. 27,2007 And I beleive she was bred July 2006. I never even noticed the tummy in the shadow!!!!

MY PARENTS HAD A MARE ULTRASOUNDED AND WHERE TOLD THE MARE WAS NOT IN FOAL. ABOUT TWO MONTHS BEFORE SHE FOALED IT WAS VERY APPARENT THE ULTRASOUND RESULT WERE WRONG. I DID NOT KNOW THAT COULD HAPPEN TILL THEN. I AM ALSO TO EXPERT BUT SHE DOES NOT LOOK OBESE TO ME..... GOOD LUCK, CRYSTAL
default_smile.png

I did not say she was obese, just over weight.... And the bred date was July 2007 not 2006. I guess maybe I should start watching her..

Yep, ultrasounds can be wrong. And she doesn't look at all fat to me. She looks pretty much like all of my mares this winter. This mare is due in March.

brightsnow7.jpg

She is certainly a pretty mare!

Charlotte

Thanks for all the info and encouragement! To me she is over weight, but if she is in foal then she is just fine with her weight. I will watch her and post pics again if a few weeks, who knows maybe there "will be" a June Foal???
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wacko.png
Hubby would be very happy if she took to the outside stallion we bred her to!

Did you say she was bred July 2006? If so, she should have foaled by now.

The best gauge of weight is not visually, especially this time of year. Use your fingers. If you're not sure, have your vet show you where to look to watch for excess weight.

If your vet mentioned that she was fat and would be causing problems with her reproductive ability, then I would be concerned enough to check into it again. If you have your vet out for any other reason, go over this with him or her.

In the winter pics, she does look fat to me, particularly the one from behind, but again, you should be able to feel the spongy fat over her topline and behind her armpit area if she is truly obese.

Liz

Theresa, Bee was bred AUGUST 10-15 2007.

So she would only be coming on to 5 months if she's bred. She looks about like my mares at that stage. (tummy-wise)

I'm wondering if she should be taken to Lawton for an ultrasound, just to find out!

If she is open, it would not hurt to get her thyroid checked.

Give The Bee a hug for me!

You can certainly have her thyroid tested!! Low thyroid makes them overweight and will usually not settle.

Just for the record low thyroid also will keep fat when you are feeding them next to nothing please have this mare checked out as low thyroid also can lead to early abortion if the mare settles at all. I have a mare that happened to and vet said with her levels she could not maintain the pregnancy but her levels were zero not even reading on the chart. I would not start the medication though if she is pregnant but would wait. Also metabolic problems also cause a horse to look overweight. First I would make sure wether she is in foal or not then would run the IR and thyroid tests and maybe a metabolic panel. I have another mare here who always looks pregnant but she is sprung from having several foals and is turning 17 this year she has simply lost her girlish figure and will probably never get it back. Good luck with your girl.

Back