Over weight mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you say she was bred July 2006? If so, she should have foaled by now.

The best gauge of weight is not visually, especially this time of year. Use your fingers. If you're not sure, have your vet show you where to look to watch for excess weight.

If your vet mentioned that she was fat and would be causing problems with her reproductive ability, then I would be concerned enough to check into it again. If you have your vet out for any other reason, go over this with him or her.

In the winter pics, she does look fat to me, particularly the one from behind, but again, you should be able to feel the spongy fat over her topline and behind her armpit area if she is truly obese.

Liz
I did say 2006, but it was a typo, she was bred 8-2007. I am constantly rubbing and feeling her, no bones! Last night we were in the barn watching her and saw some movement in her flank area. So I put the side of my face in that area and pushed the other side of her to me..And I got a good BUMP.. Will gas do that?? The vet did say her weight could possibly be a factor with her not getting into foal. And to bring her back in the spring for blood work, if she did not lose any weight. I called the vet who did the ultra sound on her last Oct. he said it was possible he missed the foal, but not likely.
default_wacko.png
I need to find out if she is or is not in foal so I know what the game plan is going to be.....

Edited to add... I am just sick over this, if she is in foal. Because of the exercise and her feed being reduced

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel badly! The vet told you she was not pregnant. Besides, exercise won't hurt anything at this point in her pregnancy and if you can't feel ribs her weight is fine for being pregnant. She is fine and if she is pregnant, you haven't done anything to hurt that.

You may consider a blood or urine test to see if she is pregnant. Or your vet of course to do another U/S. It is a bit early to feel a good kick from a foal of that many days gestation. She would only be 120-150 days in foal if bred in August. I usually cannot feel anything until 200 days. And then it is not in the flank area it is in the tummy right in front of the udder.

It sounds to me that you are expending a lot of energy worrying about her so perhaps it would be worth a vet visit to do the bloodwork, and evaluate her weight as well. It is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

You may consider a blood or urine test to see if she is pregnant. Or your vet of course to do another U/S. It is a bit early to feel a good kick from a foal of that many days gestation. She would only be 120-150 days in foal if bred in August. I usually cannot feel anything until 200 days. And then it is not in the flank area it is in the tummy right in front of the udder.

It sounds to me that you are expending a lot of energy worrying about her so perhaps it would be worth a vet visit to do the bloodwork, and evaluate her weight as well. It is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
I am waiting for the vet to call me back on getting her blood work done and another US.. And I DO fret about my animals, I have had to many of them die for no reason.
default_no.gif

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being concerned over your horses! This is just something that you can find your answers to.

I think we all fret when it comes to our animals, that is what makes us responsible. At least you notice when something is a miss.

let us know what you find out, OK
default_wink.png

This mare looks a lot like our first mini mare. She tends to have an apple butt. However, I do not think the mare is fat. I think it is more of a quarter horse look (foundation not running). My mare is the same color as yours with the exception of a few large colored spots in the lighter area. What color is this mare?

This mare looks a lot like our first mini mare. She tends to have an apple butt. However, I do not think the mare is fat. I think it is more of a quarter horse look (foundation not running). My mare is the same color as yours with the exception of a few large colored spots in the lighter area. What color is this mare?
She is a blue roan.

I have a mare that my farrier told me was too fat and if I didn't do something she would founder. She looked thinner than my others, but she is really leggy. I asked him how he could tell and he said her crest was getting thick and tight. So we went around and checked everyones crest and the rest even though they look fatter were okay. It was hard for me to tell the difference. She did not even have a crease down her back or butt. She didn't have any fat deposits behind her shoulders either. My others have fat butts. I was glad that she had gained weight after weaning her foal and didn't think she was too big. I am really watching her weight now. maybe you vet is seeing fat somewhere that we don't see it from the pictures.

Shelia B.

I can understand your anxiety. I fret about my girls too. I hope all is well with her and will be looking forward to hearing how she is.

See new topic...............It would not let me edit this with pics...

Latest posts

Back